Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you high school have air conditioning?
Yes 49 28.49%
No 96 55.81%
Only in some of the rooms 27 15.70%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

The high school I went to was built in 1957. It is still in use. It does not have AC nor does it need AC. We live on the coast and the average temp is 70 degrees all year. Hotter months are August thru October where it cools down. Still, I don't think the need was ever there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Yes, mine did.

It wasn't in America though.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The high school I went to was built in 1957. It is still in use. It does not have AC nor does it need AC. We live on the coast and the average temp is 70 degrees all year. Hotter months are August thru October where it cools down. Still, I don't think the need was ever there.
This is the problem. No A/C is needed, except during the heat wave months of early fall, so the schools don't spend the money. What they don't realize is that what used to be just 3 weeks of heat wave has now extended to about 6 weeks. In coming years as the climate warms, they'll need A/C.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,760 times
Mine didn't. My daughter's doesn't. My son's school has air conditioning in the recently built wing. Daughter had a few half days in September during heatwave. Some people thought it was unnecessary, but I'm ok with it. It's hotter now and the air quality isn't anywhere near as good as it was when I was in high school.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
No air conditioning. I never remember that being a problem.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
No air conditioning. I never remember that being a problem.
Also no conditioning. But it was a problem in really sunny days, it was pretty hot in the room.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the problem. No A/C is needed, except during the heat wave months of early fall, so the schools don't spend the money. What they don't realize is that what used to be just 3 weeks of heat wave has now extended to about 6 weeks. In coming years as the climate warms, they'll need A/C.
I don't know. I have lived here for 50 years and the climate has cycled back and forth over those years. Some years we have had less hear waves and some we have had more. A heat wave here is anything over 80 degrees I would think. A couple years ago we had some 100 degree days. This past year has not been too bad.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
2010 in Charleston, SC: Yes. Every room had it. Even the trailers. It'd get hot in the gym when you packed 1500 kids in along with teachers/administrators for a pep rally, but we had it.

Basically the entire county school system (and probably every school in the state except for a few in the "Corridor of Shame" along I-95/US 301) has it. Ours was controlled remotely from the district offices. Previously it used to be controlled from another city.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I voted "only in some of the rooms". The rooms with no windows had air conditioning (and had at least 2 entrances), which was required by law. Not surprisingly, all of the offices had air conditioning, even if they also had windows. But the vast majority of classrooms had windows but no air conditioning. During lunch on hot days, a lot of students, including myself, would go to the library after eating, since the library had air conditioning (but no windows). The hallway outside the library did not have air conditioning, and everybody would look like they were ready to pass out when they would leave the library.

Final exams were in mid-late June, and rarely held in rooms with air conditioning. Finals in the gym were considered desirable, since even though it had no air conditioning, they would set up fans, which would be better than nothing. The building had 3 cafeterias, which although none of them had air conditioning, they were on the 1st floor, and they were near administration offices and guidance offices that had air conditioning, so that combination made them not quite as bad for finals as a regular classroom on an upper floor.

Even though I frequently had detention in middle school, I never once had detention in high school. The detention room was a room on the 1st floor with no windows, which means, ironically, it had air conditioning. So, ironically, I wonder if maybe lunch detention wouldn't have been such a bad place on a hot day.
Did the school have central air conditioning or stand-alone units? It seems strange that there would be central air services a bunch of dispersed rooms and not all the rooms.

I never remember the lack of air conditioning being much of an issue when I was in school. I think we just weren't used to it as people are now. I had no air conditioning at home, either (except in my parents' bedroom) and no air conditioning in the car. Maybe that's why it wasn't a big deal.

And a detention room with no windows? That must have sucked. I always tried to sit in the window row when I was in detention because being able to look out the window made the time spend there more bearable.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I went to high school overseas in a relatively warm country. The high school did not have heating or air-conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education