Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM

27 posts, read 64,790 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was in the sixth grade, she brought her planner to me to sign. I was busy cooking dinner and tending to her 6 month old baby brother. I told her I would sign it in the morning before school. Needless to say, the next morning was very hectic and I totally forgot. My daughter was an A-B student and never had trouble in her classes. Her homeroom teacher made her walk laps because the planner wasn't signed. I wrote a note the next morning to her teacher and explained that I did not want her punished for something that was totally my fault. The wording and tone of my note was not confrontational at all. Apparently, my daughter overhead her homeroom teacher complaining to the other teachers about my note. I couldn't believe it! From that moment on, I have hated those silly planners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I had those (back in the 1990s).. I often did poorly even though I still ended up with A's in those classes.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
For many kids who may not test particularly well, notebook check may provide another way to demonstrate they grasp the material and to demonstrate valued skills.
I don't think notebook checks help show a child has grasped the material. This is one of my concerns with notebook checks. I do think it is nice to try to teach organizational skills. However, sometimes notebook checks have inflated my middle school daughter's grades.

There are times my daughter has had a good grade in a class where she is really struggling to understand the content. Her grade is fine because of notebook checks and other grades for homework completion. However, if she does not understand the material, then this is a concern to me.

When I was in school, we rarely had notebook checks. Our grades primarily were awarded based on projects and tests, which required you to understand the content to do well. Maybe I would be a more organized person if I had regular notebook checks--I'm not sure. However, I do know that I felt like I earned my grades through my work to understand the content being taught. That is different from what I am seeing now.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I do notebook checks about two times a month. Like a previous poster, the point value is low enough to not cause too much damage.

In high school, my own children had a math teacher who would have "notebook test" instead of notebook checks. He would hand out a test, but instead of math problems to work out, it would have something like this:

1. notebook page 8, problem number 6.
2. notebook page 17, problem number 4.

As long as the student had done their homework and kept it in the notebook, he/she would be fairly safe. Those who never did homework had problems.

These test were random, unannounced and counted the same point value as and announced test.
He rarely gave two classes a test in the same day.

Certainly, gave students an incentive to do their homework.
My daughter has notebook checks as mentioned by the OP, but she also has math notebook tests.

However, unlike the above, they're not related to homework (separate grades for that) but for class notes. If you're a slow, or messy note-taker you do poorly on these and they are a significant part of the grade (equivalent to a regular test score).

I'm on the fence about them. While I understand the point of them, some kids (me, when I was in school) don't need to take great notes to do well in a class, or are disorganized etc.

IMO, if a student can do well on a test that's all that should really matter. Some will need to take great notes and study them a lot, others do better just listening, and taking notes distracts them from the learning part. Grading how well someone takes notes really only props up grades of poor students who take good notes.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM

500 posts, read 571,364 times
I've never even heard of this before. Sounds like a waste of time to me. What matters is whether you can do the math or know what needs knowing and that is what tests are for. People learn differently and some don't need to take copious notes.

I can't believe someone who gets an A+ on an exam can be given a lower grade for their notes. Meanwhile we give better grades to those who are good at copying. I'm starting to see why our schools are such a mess.

Last edited by sandlines; 05-18-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Did you - or your children - have "notebook checks" in middle or high school?

A "notebook check" basically takes the form of the teacher periodically collecting the student's notebooks (to see if they have made a sufficient, legible entry of notes for each class day) and/or folders (to see if they are neat and in order). These are usually graded and can account for a significant percentage of the student's grade.

They are supposed to reinforce organizational skills.

Also, what is your opinion on them?
I would have failed if my grades were based on notebook checks because I'm a poor listener and a lousy note taker. I still am. Three seconds into a conversation my mind is elsewhere. I always got good grades if the tests were based on the reading material or research. I can recall the written word and even tell you where on a page I saw the information weeks/months ago but don't ask me to tell you what you said 5 minutes ago. If the tests were based on the lectures, didn't do as well except for math. I only remember one teacher checking notebooks, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education