Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

I've taught in highschools in the NW where the English teachers stated outright that it was the foreign language teachers' job to teach English grammar. Calilfornia schools are and have always been notorious for not teaching grammar at any level. I have young friends in highschool on the East Coast who don't get grammar and composition instruction. And I've taught at the university level, where the faculty complain about student research papers that are barely comprehensible. Universities now offer remedial writing and grammar classes to address this problem.

This makes no sense to me. Why are our schools churning out students who aren't competent to express themselves correctly in English? Is this a regional issue, or a school district issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
California, from what I heard has a more easier pass go in college. Maybe that is it. From my state, you have the SAT, college entrance exams, and AP exams. If you fail these, then you have to take an elementary course, depending on level, vice versa for the English level.

Writing is very precious, and by that, I mean indivisualism. Many people talk various dialects and to see that, displayed in writing is also rare. Various states, have loop holes, to make it easier and harder for students to pass these test.

The bottom line to answer your question, is that college gain income from failing students. They do not care about them passing, just as long as they get paid. The same with our proffessor problem, when we get proffessors who don't do sqwaut, sometimes. If all the students passed, all of those proffessors teaching remidial would slowly dissapear into a help center, or tutor clinic, filled with mentally disabled people, and people who speak another language.

I went to highschool and these crybaby proffessors are whining ( oh the highschools are a joke ), and to forget about SAT, and whatever. They do not want to tell us, all the difference possibilities. They want a student to pay $400 dollars for a remidial class, over and over as many times as they can. So they can excreet them from the system.

In terms of students, in the past. Back then people were into videogames, television, and radio. A student would probably dedicate a good procentage of their time to one of the three.
Before that was Music, sports ( which could include singular competitive activities like art ), and sex. I am trying to make sense, of students activities.

Student never value or highly reguard their work as being, the number one importance. Sometimes this is good and sometimes it is bad. Ever ask why is an Officer, and officer? Because they spent more time persuing violent goals.

Why the need for writing? You go to college and they want you to take all of these crap classes. Like writing for example. Some students are prime and ready to enter their major like a sport, while other students are not ready at all. The flat fact is that college is not meant for some people.

A famous popstar from Japan who never finished elemetary school, and wented to America to train her dance moves, said she gained nothing from America at all. Her parents are not rich and she survived by her mother, in her early years. The flat fact some carrers, do not need college education because a college is for the

Hows, and the Whys. You know for people who do not know one thing about anything at all.
The people who did the whole ordeal, of highschool and has nothing to show for it, but a brain that is not even appreciated.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
California, from what I heard has a more easier pass go in college. Maybe that is it. From my state, you have the SAT, college entrance exams, and AP exams. If you fail these, then you have to take an elementary course, depending on level, vice versa for the English level.

Writing is very precious, and by that, I mean indivisualism. Many people talk various dialects and to see that, displayed in writing is also rare. Various states, have loop holes, to make it easier and harder for students to pass these test.

The bottom line to answer your question, is that college gain income from failing students. They do not care about them passing, just as long as they get paid. The same with our proffessor problem, when we get proffessors who don't do sqwaut, sometimes. If all the students passed, all of those proffessors teaching remidial would slowly dissapear into a help center, or tutor clinic, filled with mentally disabled people, and people who speak another language.

I went to highschool and these crybaby proffessors are whining ( oh the highschools are a joke ), and to forget about SAT, and whatever. They do not want to tell us, all the difference possibilities. They want a student to pay $400 dollars for a remidial class, over and over as many times as they can. So they can excreet them from the system.

In terms of students, in the past. Back then people were into videogames, television, and radio. A student would probably dedicate a good procentage of their time to one of the three.
Before that was Music, sports ( which could include singular competitive activities like art ), and sex. I am trying to make sense, of students activities.

Student never value or highly reguard their work as being, the number one importance. Sometimes this is good and sometimes it is bad. Ever ask why is an Officer, and officer? Because they spent more time persuing violent goals.

Why the need for writing? You go to college and they want you to take all of these crap classes. Like writing for example. Some students are prime and ready to enter their major like a sport, while other students are not ready at all. The flat fact is that college is not meant for some people.

A famous popstar from Japan who never finished elemetary school, and wented to America to train her dance moves, said she gained nothing from America at all. Her parents are not rich and she survived by her mother, in her early years. The flat fact some carrers, do not need college education because a college is for the

Hows, and the Whys. You know for people who do not know one thing about anything at all.
The people who did the whole ordeal, of highschool and has nothing to show for it, but a brain that is not even appreciated.
I think this post validates the OP's point that elementary and high schools do not teach grammar.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think this post validates the OP's point that elementary and high schools do not teach grammar.
I'm crossing my fingers that the entire bit was laced with sarcasm.
If not, then I'm finding a microwave.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 PM

I'm making a wild guess that Dream Mgr. and RegalSin aren't native speakers of English. Jeez, I hope that's the case. :s

Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've taught in highschools in the NW where the English teachers stated outright that it was the foreign language teachers' job to teach English grammar.

"foreign language teachers' job" should either be "foreign language teachers' jobs" or "foreign language teacher's job"

Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM

No, it's the job of the foreign language teachers. The foreign language teachers' job. We're discussing one task, teaching English grammar, one job. Many teachers. It's the teachers' job to teach the subject.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
If state achievement tests don't specifically mandate assessments on grammar or sentence construction, schools won't "waste" the time teaching it.

Gotta cut things out to make room for teaching to the test, don't you know?

May I never have to work in public school.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yep, wow. I hope and pray that this poster used Google translate.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
This is news to me. The public school district my children attend teaches grammar at all grade levels. Elementary students use a resource published by Hogback Press entitled Daily Language Instruction. I cannot recall the names of the middle school and high school grammar workbooks, but I do know that my older children complete proofreading and editing exercises at least three times per week. Additionally, my oldest's writing assignments for all subjects must conform to the standards of The Elements of Style by Strunk & White. Primary and secondary students also complete WordlyWise workbooks to improve spelling and vocabulary competence. All of my kids have regular one-on-one meetings with their Language Arts teachers to review their writing drafts for content, grammar, and spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education