Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
My tax money goes to pay for freeways in Mississippi (as an example) that I will never use, while every morning I pay to use a turnpike to get me to my job in a timely fashion. That's not fair.
My tax money goes to pay the fire department, yet I've never had a fire. That's not fair! (Sarcasm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Voting for the school board is nothing more than choosing who is going to spend my money.

I'm all in favor of public schooling, but the funding of that schooling needs to be voluntary, not by force.
Voluntarily funding schools? Are you serious? And what do you mean "by force"? Is the tax collector coming to your house and putting a gun to your head?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Voluntarily funding schools? Are you serious? And what do you mean "by force"? Is the tax collector coming to your house and putting a gun to your head?
He's a libertarian. He believes that taxes are collected by force because if you don't pay you can go to jail.

Libertarianism 101: What's the libertarian position on Taxes? - Dallas Libertarian | Examiner.com

Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
I do not agree with statement if we tell any student he/she is an A student, he/she will be a really A student. I think we've done too much of that, and our education system is failing now compare with other countries.

We do need to give each child a chance to receive the best education: for them. Children and their families should be prepared to work hard to reach this goal, nothing should be taking for granted. Why 10 kids should suffer at class when all teacher's time is spend on one troublemaker?
I think voucher system can help us to introduce a competition between public schools and private schools and therefore to improve our educational system. Religious studies should be made optional in schools that can accept vouchers and parents should be able to pick the best school for their child (it could be school with emphasis in science or theater study or art or something else), but not the school assigned by some lotto system or people making their careers in politics.
IF you believe that drivel about how we're falling behind other countries, I have some links for you.

Education in China vs. U.S.: Don't Sweat Global Test Data - TIME

Education in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's Going On?: Girls' Education in India

Twenty years ago the Japanese educational system was all the rage. If we just did everything like Japan, we'd get their outcomes. Well, some people dug a little deeper, and it was found that one way Japan got their great statistics was by encouraging people whose kids weren't keeping up to take their kids out of school at "teach them at home".

Competition doesn't work in education that way it does selling widgets. It's a whole different ball game.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why is that ludicrous, to voluntarily fund schools?

Try not paying your taxes and see what happens. Go ahead, report back.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Why is that ludicrous, to voluntarily fund schools?

Try not paying your taxes and see what happens. Go ahead, report back.
It's ludicrous, because, well, it is. For example, you say you would fund the public schools voluntarily, but in other posts you complain bitterly about paying school taxes while also paying private school tuition.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana;24488918[B
]It's ludicrous, because, well, it is. [/b] For example, you say you would fund the public schools voluntarily, but in other posts you complain bitterly about paying school taxes while also paying private school tuition.
Very articulate.

Look it up. I believe in public education, I've said so many times. What I want is to take the federal government out of education and allow parents to dictate what education they want for their children. I need to just copy and paste that.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Very articulate.

Look it up. I believe in public education, I've said so many times. What I want is to take the federal government out of education and allow parents to dictate what education they want for their children. I need to just copy and paste that.
The federal government does very little of the funding. Most of the funding comes from the state governments and property taxes.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Very articulate.

Aren't you the one who accused me one time of a "personal attack" on Ronald Reagan? Yet you come up with this snark.

I don't need to cut and paste this:

The federal portion of K-12 education is 10% of the monies spent, and that includes the school lunch program. In some districts it is much less. For all the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth about the federal govt, its role in education is minimal!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The federal government does very little of the funding. Most of the funding comes from the state governments and property taxes.
NCLB is a national program, as is "Race to the Top". The whole Dept. of Education should be dismantled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education