U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,413 times

Advertisements

Articles like these make me truly fear for the future of our public education system:

Public Money Finds Back Door to Private Schools

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/ed...s.html?_r=2&hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,907,645 times
That is scary. The fact that our public money is going to these schools is outrageous, especially when you are talking about schools that teach that evolution is a fallacy.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM

24,153 posts, read 30,271,613 times
sounds good. those private school students are supporting a public school system that they dont attend. thats not fair.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
sounds good. those private school students are supporting a public school system that they dont attend. thats not fair.
They could attend public school. The money for the scholarships should be for parents who cannot afford to send the kids to private schools without it. And, there should be NO money for any religious schools from the public funds. Religious education is up to the parents. It should be paid for by them, not by taxes.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
My tax money goes to pay for freeways in Mississippi (as an example) that I will never use, while every morning I pay to use a turnpike to get me to my job in a timely fashion. That's not fair.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,912,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
My tax money goes to pay for freeways in Mississippi (as an example) that I will never use, while every morning I pay to use a turnpike to get me to my job in a timely fashion. That's not fair.
Right-wingers don't get this concept. They never will. They think all charitible ventures should be voluntary. They think they should never have to pay for anything they don't use. They don't get that in a community we pool and share resources.

Unfortunately in many ways capitalism which is all about greed and selfishness, is counter-productive to democracy which is supposed to involve the community working together to govern.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Do you think that the people in New York City that pick up the New York Times daily and read this article have kids in public schools?

If you asked the parents of kids in, let's say DC schools, would you rather have a voucher to send your kid to a religious private school or the public school of your choice, what percent of them do you think would opt for a public school over a religious private one?

I'm 60 years old. Even when I was going to school back in the stone age, some Jewish families were putting their kids in Catholic school if they could afford to.

If two atheists in Detroit had a choice between public school or religious private school for their kids, I still think they'd pick the religious private school.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,821,991 times
This was the intent of these programs from the very start. They are trying to float a similar program in Missouri, and it has been made very clear that the intent is to make private school tuition tax deductible. Not sure why the NYT thinks this is an issue; this is what the sponsors of the bills and their supporters wanted.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you think that the people in New York City that pick up the New York Times daily and read this article have kids in public schools?

If you asked the parents of kids in, let's say DC schools, would you rather have a voucher to send your kid to a religious private school or the public school of your choice, what percent of them do you think would opt for a public school over a religious private one?

I'm 60 years old. Even when I was going to school back in the stone age, some Jewish families were putting their kids in Catholic school if they could afford to.

If two atheists in Detroit had a choice between public school or religious private school for their kids, I still think they'd pick the religious private school.
I don't know if I agree. There is nothing special about Catholic schools other than the fact that they're selective in their enrollment. Most are not educating students more cheaply (i.e. they're being subsidized religious orders or the local diocese) and they're able to accept/boot students at will. If Jews or atheists are sending their kids to these schools, it's probably only mostly because their local public schools have been overrun with the negative cultural element that is bringing down many other aspects of our society.

And this is really what school choice is about--families trying to get their kids away from the kids from families that either don't care about education and/or are instilling negative values into their kids that are being brought into the school. The thing is, we don't need vouchers or charter schools to do allow these families to be able to do this; all we need to do is give public schools the same power that charters and Catholics have in isolating the problem students from those that are really there to get an education. Expand magnet school options as well.

Bottom line is that I will remain skeptical until charter schools and Catholic schools prove that they can do a statistically significant better job than public schools of educating large quantities of students with behavioral problems or students with disabilities. The problem is that it will likely be a long time until they ever have to do so, because as of now all of these laws give them public money but don't require them to accept everyone (i.e. being true options for the entire public).

Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 AM

2,999 posts, read 6,487,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Articles like these make me truly fear for the future of our public education system:

Public Money Finds Back Door to Private Schools

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/ed...s.html?_r=2&hp
These plans seem wrong on so many levels. Tax money that could have gone to the state is directed toward the private school of your choice. Some, certainly not all, schools then use that money for scholarships for students who don't meet the specific criteria (maybe even YOUR student). Even schools who are following the guidelines and are only using the money for scholarships for students who are moving to private schools from public schools run the risk of becoming dependent upon those funds and when this program gets yanked because of rampant fraud, won't have established scholarship programs to support the students who they have admitted.

In general, it just smells fishy all the way around and the complete lack of transparency does nothing to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or