Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 8,837 times

Advertisements

For me the most useful is math, the most useless? Psychology. It feels so boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Most useful -

Typing
English
Economics
History

Least useful - everything else...social studies comes to mind, as does biology.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
I was in SP and did grades 7-8-9 in two years.
I graduated from HS at 16.
EVERY class, from English, French, poetry, calculus, set theory, physics, biology, history, EXCEPT "health education" (which was mercifully only a few times a year) was, and still is important.
The biggest problem this country has today (it's unsustainable financial ponzi system) is a direct result of most human's inability to comprehend the exponential function.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Useless--Home Ec--what a complete joke! All we did was make oatmeal. Oh, and some sewing---well, ok, not a total waste, we learned how to sew on a button

Most useful class---Spanish. We had an excellent teacher, who used the whole language, or imersion approach.After one semester, I was fluent. I couldn't believe it myself! My parents took me on a trip to Mexico, I found myself actually conversing with the "locals". My dd took Spanish last year, all A's, she can't put two words together, can barely say Taco Bell But, she pleased the school, got an A---hmmm, now if she can learn to sew on a button.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Most useful:

AP English
AP Biology
AP US History
Accounting
Typing

Most useless:

German (too little opportunity to use it as a language)
Wood Shop
Speech I (taught by a burned out teacher)
Food and Nutrition (valuable stuff, but I knew most of it already)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I found almost every class I took to be "useless", particularly English, Algebra 2, Chemistry as well as health and Intro to Film.

English- I actually like reading books, but I dislike it when I'm told to read a certain book and have to do a report on it. I also disliked writing in the Jane Schaffer method.

Algebra 2- I DESPISED this class. It just seemed pointless to me. I could see it being relevant for some people- if you were going to become a scientist, an engineer, a "mathetician" or something of that sort. But for the majority of people, it just doesn't seem relevant. No one I know say they've used this stuff during their lifetime. Why do we need to know where x or y equals on the line or figure out odd looking equations? This class was just far too confusing and complicated for me.

Chemistry- didn't/don't care to know about the periodic table, how old a rock is or figure out algebraic like problems.

Health- the first half of the class was sex education stuff. It was pretty much stuff I knew already. The second half was consisted of PE. All we did was run 4 laps every Tuesdays and Thursdays, then sat around in the gym afterwards. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, we also just sat around the gym and talked to our friends.

Intro to Film- mostly watched and learned about different films and their genre types. My teacher was kind of snobby though.

The only class I found relevant and liked was Finance math. You learned a little bit about how to pay your bills, use credit cards, pay your mortgage, buy a car, build up your savings, etc. This class really changed my views about money and I find myself going back at my old notes to read over some stuff. Very useful and helpful! I also had a teacher who really knew what he was talking about.

Driver's Ed was another class I liked and found useful. It was fun when we got to drive around my town!
Seriously, before I read your post (but read the title to this thread) was going to post: English--most useful; algebra--most useless.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
algebra
science
geometry.. hated them and found them almost impossible to pick up .. Id have loved more art, English and typing classes instead of the three Ive mentioned.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Useful
Sciences
English
Maths

Useless
RE

Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
You can sure tell the age differences from the replies. No AP or computers when I was in school. They came much later.

Useless were algebra and art.

Useful was PE, health, all social studies, wood shop, music theory, and any foreign language.

Would have been useful would be typing. Long before computers. Not 1 boy in the classes.

Wish it was offered would be art history and finance.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
You can sure tell the age differences from the replies. No AP or computers when I was in school. They came much later.

Useless were algebra and art.

Useful was PE, health, all social studies, wood shop, music theory, and any foreign language.

Would have been useful would be typing. Long before computers. Not 1 boy in the classes.

Wish it was offered would be art history and finance.
Funny you should mention typing and guys. Joe Namath went to my HS. He could type. According to one of his biographies, practically everyone that graduated from our high school in that era (60s, he's older than me) knew how to type. That got him a job doing typewriter commercials. My brother took typing there. Lots of guys did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education