U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 AM

24,967 posts, read 30,449,935 times
Post News, Popular senior denied high school diploma because his family CHEERED too much.

A Cincinnati, Ohio, senior was denied his diploma because his family cheered too loud.
When class of 2012 Mt. Healthy High School student Anthony Cornist's name was called at his graduation ceremony in May, his family, teachers and friends erupted in applause.

Read more: Popular senior denied high school diploma because his family CHEERED too much | Mail Online
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:39 AM

10,264 posts, read 16,294,548 times
I'll say right off that I think the punishment doesn't fit the crime, but I do understand the frustration of the administration of this school. I've been to six local HS graduations within the last 10 years and half of them had one or two REALLY annoying families that shout and yell and even blow air horns (inside a gym!) so loud and long that it's not a laughing matter. If I were that family, I would acknowledge the mistake and spend a day cleaning a park together and move on...

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
school administrators keep getting anal on this subject and making punishments that obviously don't fit the crime then they may preside over an empty graduation ceremony. There is nothing written anywhere that I know of that states one must attend a formal graduation ceremony in order to receive his or her diploma. Not every family can afford all the cap, gown, etc involved in graduation ceremonies.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:08 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
Graduation used to be a dignified service. At my graduation and my husband's graduation, nobody said anything when a graduates name was called. People acted with a little class back then. We all waited until the end and everybody CLAPPED together. That way the graduation took a shorter amount of time and you could hear the name of the next person in line. It is not a ball game, it's a graduation. Act accordingly, please!

The graduate is not the person who should be punished. In South Carolina the people who were disorderly would have been arrested. It makes the news every year. Way to go, South Carolina.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 4,847,788 times
Default News, Popular senior denied high school diploma because his family CHEERED too much

Way too many parents/families attending HS graduations these days behave like they're attending a pro wrestling match.

They aren't.

It's a graduation ceremony. It's about the graduates, not the foolish parents trying ever more desperately to draw attention to themselves.

Please folks, sit down, relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy the ceremony. You're not part of it. You're the audience. Get it?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM

19,057 posts, read 21,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Way too many parents/families attending HS graduations these days behave like they're attending a pro wrestling match.

They aren't.

It's a graduation ceremony. It's about the graduates, not the foolish parents trying ever more desperately to draw attention to themselves.

Please folks, sit down, relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy the ceremony. You're not part of it. You're the audience. Get it?
No, they don/t, and they never will. Their parents didn't teach them manners and decorum, and they sure as heck aren't teaching it to their children.

Security gates and metal detectors at graduation ceremonies are the next expenditure taxpayers will be footing the bill for.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM

5,580 posts, read 3,445,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'll say right off that I think the punishment doesn't fit the crime, but I do understand the frustration of the administration of this school. I've been to six local HS graduations within the last 10 years and half of them had one or two REALLY annoying families that shout and yell and even blow air horns (inside a gym!) so loud and long that it's not a laughing matter. If I were that family, I would acknowledge the mistake and spend a day cleaning a park together and move on...
At my daughter's HS graduation there were several groups sitting near us with 12 to 20 family and friends each. When their graduate was named they stood and cheered and cheered. A few rang cow bells and blow horns. It was not very dignified. They should have saved their cheering for after the ceremony.

You could not hear the name of the graduate after them. It certainly wasn't fair to them or their family.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
I think it is too bad that they think they should punish the boy for his families idiocy.

I do think that high school graduations should be more dignified than they are today though. Perhaps they should limit the graduation tickets to two per family and put up a viewing room outside so others can watch on tv without disturbing the ceremony.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,599,420 times
This habit unfortunately has carried over to college graduations. College graduations are not going to stop for noise to die down. The last one I attended, there were several instances where a group of guests (all associated with a fraternity) cheered so long and loud that 2-3 names were completely missed.

The graduate is the one with the tickets. They have full control over who does and does not come, and so I do not buy the "no control" argument.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM

10,264 posts, read 16,294,548 times
I've been to three college graduations and the crowds were very well behaved. I think size and venue make a big difference. The college ones I went to were either small privates or private grad school ones where there were a limited amount of tickets handed out. EVERYONE is proud of their kid, the way to show it is not by making a fool of yourself. My kids would have been pretty embarrassed if we called attention to ourselves at a grad ceremony.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-09-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education