Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Your ad homs are really getting out of hand. And if you think, CONTEXT is not relevant, that I do not know what to say to you. But it is readily apparent that I only brought up my education in response to a particular post about that persons education.
Pot, meet Kettle. Your snark about my reading comprehension, etc, are all of course good debate tactics, and no, it wasn't "readily apparent" (if I were an English teacher I'd call that a cliche).

@tgbwc-that was clearly NOT the policy at my kids' schools, all in the same district. The same kids got all the awards, over and over. These kids just had the teachers as buffaloed as their parents. In a 400 student class, you'd think they could find a few other people to give awards to once in a while, instead of all these "look at me" kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Ideally, I think school should be year round with a break of approximately three weeks between each term, adjusted for holidays. I think it is a way to begin to redesign our schools, so that we start to "catch up" with kids in other countries again. The total number of school days should be increased. Its 180 here, I think it ought to be about 200.

With kids on different schedules, year round school is also way to maximize use of facilities and save some tax dollars. We maybe able to build fewer schools if we have fewer buildings sitting around empty all the time. I don't know who doesn't want to try and keep property taxes down.

We used to have year round school here and I loved it. The problem is that too many parents objected and now we are back on the "traditional calendar" which originated based on the needs of an "agricultural society". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Ideally, I think school should be year round with a break of approximately three weeks between each term, adjusted for holidays. I think it is a way to begin to redesign our schools, so that we start to "catch up" with kids in other countries again. The total number of school days should be increased. Its 180 here, I think it ought to be about 200.

With kids on different schedules, year round school is also way to maximize use of facilities and save some tax dollars. We maybe able to build fewer schools if we have fewer buildings sitting around empty all the time. I don't know who doesn't want to try and keep property taxes down.

We used to have year round school here and I loved it. The problem is that too many parents objected and now we are back on the "traditional calendar" which originated based on the needs of an "agricultural society". The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I don't really see how it would keep property values down to have schools heated and cooled for more days out of the year. Also, adding 20 more days to each teachers contract, assuming that the per diem rate did not go down, would increase payroll costs by at least 10%. The best way to cut payroll is to reduce the amount of each teacher's contract. This will be one of the results of the new wave of performance-based teacher pay schemes, such as the one announced yesterday by our new governor.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Whatever happened to winners and kids aspiring to become winners?
Well, right now several hundred of them are competing in the Olympics. Last week we saw them saving lives before the first responders could get to the theater in Aurora.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM

137 posts, read 248,578 times
QUOTE=sheena12;25370991]What is in BOLD has not only been my experience but was the subject of a famous study conducted about 20 years ago.

Parents taxes in good districts tend to be high. So are teacher's salaries. When parents talk these districts listen.[/quote]

Teachers' salaries are not always higher in affluent areas just because of the taxes. I did an in-school experience in an affluent school with lousy teacher pay. The parents there talked so much that the teachers were afraid to do anything out of fear of getting sued. The parents there gave so many "suggestions" and demands the teachers couldn't do their jobs. Is that really a way to run a school?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, right now several hundred of them are competing in the Olympics. Last week we saw them saving lives before the first responders could get to the theater in Aurora.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm soooooo sick of hearing how kids and 20somethings are all a bunch of good for nothings. Thanks for mentioning the Aurorans, too. We are. . . Aurora!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Funny how competition is acceptable in the olympics but not in our schools.

I wasn't aware of a competition in Aurora or winners. Just a crisis where, as always happens in a crisis, some people risked their own lives to save others while others ducked to save their own lives. Crisis situations reveal character. Some people have good character and some don't. Since we haven't been told how every person responded, we cannot make a judgement here as to whether there are more or less "winners" (assuming you're defining winners as people who helped others rather than helped themselves) than we've seen in crisis situations before.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Funny how competition is acceptable in the olympics but not in our schools.

What kind of a school do you teach in?

Competition isn't acceptable? Really? None in academics? No Academic Decathlon? No sports competition? No band competition? No choir competition?

Mercy. That school must be boring as 2% milk.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-29-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
I'm guessing that means no valedictorian? No class rankings? No class president or "Student-Athlete of the Year" type of thing either. I can't imagine.

Ivory you keep posting these sweeping generalizations when I'm guessing you have a few students who truly frustrate you and throw you off your game. You will never reach every single student that enters your classroom. But that doesn't mean that the whole generation are "entitled", "lazy", "special" and don't aspire to be "winners" (in every sense of the word). You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Focus on the positive, do what you CAN instead of dismissing everyone else's ideas and suggestions with a and an "UGH"....followed by why it CAN NEVER work in your situation. You're setting yourself up for failure - why would you do that? Is that how you'd advise a promising student? Or your daughter?

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-29-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I wasn't aware of a competition in Aurora or winners.
The winners in Aurora were every single person who survived having a bullet shot into their body and every single person who protected and saved a fellow human being.

If you don't understand how that works it speaks to your values. Which you are certainly entitled to. I call them winners and should I ever have the honor to meet one I would be honored to shake their hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education