Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
LOL! IBO basically all but closed down its curriculum centre in Cardiff, Wales (claiming it wasn't international enough) to open up two new global centres, one in Bethesda, MD and the other in The Hague. The Anne Arundel district in MD is saturated with IB and spends MILLIONS a year on this joke of a program.
I guess UMD isn't thinking globally and acting locally.

Yeah. Prince George's has climbed on the IB wagon the last few years. Their solution is not what Anne Arundel was doing, which was having IB magnets, but to declare an entire school and its feeders as IB candidates and having all the studenst, including SPED, take IB classes.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
In my district, some conservative parents, egged on by a conservative school board, pushed for IB.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I guess UMD isn't thinking globally and acting locally.

Yeah. Prince George's has climbed on the IB wagon the last few years. Their solution is not what Anne Arundel was doing, which was having IB magnets, but to declare an entire school and its feeders as IB candidates and having all the studenst, including SPED, take IB classes.
I know that Anne Arundel is introducing the PYP into 12 of its elementary schools in the near future and that they cut some sort of "special deal" with IB. AA also has IB in its Fort Meade HS which is situated on the Army base. To be clear, the school is NOT run by the Army and my attempts to get a count of how many military families enrolled their children in IB went nowhere. Not only does ever IB World School in AA have its own IB Coordinator, AA has a District IB Coordinator!

Nothing but wasteful spending on "social justice" for administrators to fatten their resume's in order to claim they implemented IB. IB has no built-in accommodations for children with special needs and at the DP level, makes it much more difficult to attain testing accommodations such as increased time, than AP.

Furthermore, for a student to take a SINGLE IB exam, the cost is $241 ($145 student registration fee + $96 exam fee) compared with AP's fee of $87 per exam.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In my district, some conservative parents, egged on by a conservative school board, pushed for IB.
Please define "conservative". I have encountered IBelievers before who claimed they were Conservative but who knew nothing about the history, cost or ideological affiliations of the IB organization.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 PM

American public schools should be APOLITICAL, neither left nor right. There is so much social nonsense woven into the school day such as "Billy Has Two Mommies" that these kids aren't learning basic math and grammar!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Please define "conservative". I have encountered IBelievers before who claimed they were Conservative but who knew nothing about the history, cost or ideological affiliations of the IB organization.
I did not discuss politics extensively with these parents. However, the few I know are Republicans, think US education is going to h*** in a handbasket, etc. The board had a majority of people of this belief as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 45,688 times
Quote:
I am not surprised. Parents, with their inherent good intentions, will do anything to improve things for their kids, and just swallowed the hook and didn't do their homework. They should just take about one hour to read the stuff at International education - The International Baccalaureate offers high quality programmes of education to a worldwide community of schools and find out that UNESCO doesn't take any responsibility for the academics, but it takes your money and requires you EMBED UNESCO's goals into all the curriculum.

It spells it all out right there.

So they are paying more for their kids to be sure to be inculcated with the far left agenda of the UN.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I did not discuss politics extensively with these parents. However, the few I know are Republicans, think US education is going to h*** in a handbasket, etc. The board had a majority of people of this belief as well.
When we were fighting IB out in Incline Village, Nevada, there were a few so called Republicans who thought IB was the best thing since sliced bread. It took almost two years, but we successfully defeated a K-12 IB takeover of IV's public schools. However, the battle was not without its costs. There are still neighbors who won't speak to neighbors because of their difference in opinion. There are teachers who glare at the Dad of 4 who led the charge. He happens to be a former teacher and his wife, who is also a teacher, is a Democrat)

The bottom line is that IB is not a good fit for American public schools.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM

30 posts, read 45,688 times
If Education is going to H*** in a handbasket it is BECAUSE of these 'values' programs in the schools. Why can't they just stick to academics?

Also, they use project-based learning and constructivism, both failures.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Why do you care? I thought Republicans wanted to do away with public schools altogether. You need to be working harder on that and stop fooling around with this small ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education