Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaParty™ View Post
We already dealt with that clueless woman... she's a joke that's an old article....

Most 'republicans' have their heads up.... you know where...... she's one of 'em.

PS - the Blaze sucks, run by that religious nut who is working for foreign lobbyists, Glenn Beck.
We have tried to get Glenn Beck to see the light when it comes to IB for years. I remember when he reported on the Islamic Saudi Academy, also known as "
Terror High" and I tried to get his staff to make it known that the school was authorized by IBO in 2008, along with the King Fah'd Academy in London. Beck didn't care. I even appeared on his show in 2009.

Beck's BFF is Jon Huntsman who is a big IB supporter. And last I heard, junior Huntsman was speaking at the DNC.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,533 times
My children attended a private school for two years that offered the IB program. I worked part-time at the school to afford the tuition. Many of the kids at the school came from wealthy families run by successful parents. These parents understood the value of being globally aware because many of them were in business leadership positions that required them to deal with people from multiple countries. One of the main contributors to the school attended an IB school when he was a kid. He is highly successful and one of the most wonderful people you could ever meet. If he is the type of person an IB program creates, then it is hard not to support the program.

I worked for a large international corporation before I had kids, and it seems clear to me that the U.S. education system is a bit behind the eight ball when it comes to international education. Even at our country's highest levels, some leaders have made mistakes because of their lack of global knowledge.

I researched the IB program before sending my kids to an IB school, and the research I did showed them to be outstanding schools. I find it fascinating that some people can be so paranoid about the schools. The program is not a cult -- It is one that has very high academic standards, and I don't see how anyone can argue that cultural awareness is a bad thing. I think only those who are fearful of people who are different than them would worry about kids gaining such knowledge and understanding.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM

48 posts, read 84,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I guess UMD isn't thinking globally and acting locally.
Incorrect. UMD encourages all students to take at least one overseas course or internship to enrich their academic experience. They also award credit for specific IB test scores. Here's the PDF chart for credits awarded per specific test subject and score:

http://www.umd.edu/catalog/attachments/IB.pdf

UMD students also do a lot of community outreach work:

Programs | Government and Community Affairs | University of Maryland

Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 AM

48 posts, read 84,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I know that Anne Arundel is introducing the PYP into 12 of its elementary schools in the near future and that they cut some sort of "special deal" with IB. AA also has IB in its Fort Meade HS which is situated on the Army base. To be clear, the school is NOT run by the Army and my attempts to get a count of how many military families enrolled their children in IB went nowhere. Not only does ever IB World School in AA have its own IB Coordinator, AA has a District IB Coordinator!

Nothing but wasteful spending on "social justice" for administrators to fatten their resume's in order to claim they implemented IB. IB has no built-in accommodations for children with special needs and at the DP level, makes it much more difficult to attain testing accommodations such as increased time, than AP.

Furthermore, for a student to take a SINGLE IB exam, the cost is $241 ($145 student registration fee + $96 exam fee) compared with AP's fee of $87 per exam.
The cost of testing is partially covered by AACPS:

Quote:
IB Diploma Candidates take IB assessments in grades 11 and 12. The total cost of the test fees for an IB Candidate is approximately $700. In 2011-2012, AACPS will fund approximately 50% of the total cost. Families needing additional financial assistance should contact their school's IB coordinator.
Anne Arundel (IB FAQ page)

I'm a military spouse who lived at Fort Meade. My DH and I enrolled our son into the IB-MYP magnet at Meade Senior. Why were you trying to get a count of how many military families enrolled their children into the IB-MYP and DP programs?

Last edited by jenshoes; 08-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Fixed weird quote tags and hyperlink explanation

Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
You haven't sold me on why IB should be completely banned in the US.. if it were required of ALL public schools, I can see the issue but currently, only a small fraction in the US offer IB.

I graduated from an IB school over a decade ago, then went to college.. I didn't see anything vastly different in my worldviews vs. those from other high schools while in college..

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
I've got no issue with IB being a choice as well as AP. It's true that the culture at some schools value IB over AP and vice versa. The independent college prep school my kids attended wouldn't let any student take an AP class unless they received at least a B+ in the same discipline the prior year. The result was IB was devalued since they were the classes that "anyone" could get into. Most students, who had the choice, chose AP over IB. Colleges tend to put more weight on the AP classes and less on the IB. And as another poster said, many colleges give no credit for IB exams, but do for AP. I see no issue with offering both, but student should research which more closely matches their educational goals.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Some colleges reward IB Diplomas

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/s.../ib_reward.pdf

For example

Quote:
Barnard College - For the International Baccalaureate Diploma, the number of credits listed is granted, up to a maximum of 30. Students who do not have the diploma will receive 6 Barnard points for each Higher Level examination score of 5 or higher. A Diploma Score of 30 or higher is needed to qualify for these 30 credits. Also, first year requirements must be met. The awarding of credits bypasses the sophomore year’s worth of credits.
Quote:
Sarah Lawrence College
Sarah Lawrence College recognizes the rigor of the IB Diploma Program and will consider Diploma candidates for advanced
standing. It is possible to receive up to a full year's credit.
Quote:
SUNY Binghamton - Students in the Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met:
· The IB Diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points; and
· The student must complete at least three Higher Level exams with a score of 5 or higher.
Diploma holders who meet these conditions receive credit for their individual exam scores plus additional liberal arts elective credit to total to 32 credits.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
woah i never realized there was so much controversy with ib. i did it in hs though i also took a few ap classes and tests to fill in the gaps. our ib program was new and there weren't too many choices. we had a small group of 20-25 in the program and i liked having all my classes with the same (usually intelligent) kids. i do remember that the university of tulsa LOVED ib and was always all over all of us. my 17 year old self was like wtf...why would i want to go to school in tulsa?? we were in VA. my college gave ib the same weight it gave ap, though we werent allowed to use more than 2 high school classes for college credit anyway so it wasn't significant. i think i was allowed to start in higher levels of some courses and complete my language requirement with only one class. i took the ap and the ib exam for spanish and the ib exam for latin so i really have no idea which "credit" i ended up using.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshoes View Post
Incorrect. UMD encourages all students to take at least one overseas course or internship to enrich their academic experience. They also award credit for specific IB test scores. Here's the PDF chart for credits awarded per specific test subject and score:

http://www.umd.edu/catalog/attachments/IB.pdf

UMD students also do a lot of community outreach work:

Programs | Government and Community Affairs | University of Maryland
Ok, then that's changed. As I mentioned that last time I checked was a couple or three years ago and I didn't care enough to check again. How I even found out originally was a friend's daughter went through the IB program at Annapolis High School and was denied IB credit when she applied to UMD.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Some colleges reward IB Diplomas

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/s.../ib_reward.pdf

For example
I got credits for Biology HL, Chemistry HL, and English HL at my university.. they didn't award anything for achieving the IB diploma but awarded credits for scores over 5 in HL subjects (some courses need 6-7.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education