Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM

436 posts, read 753,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Why apologize. It's just a piece of paper and she does not need the paper.
Is the school being silly. Yes, but how hard is it to write a few lines and diffuse the whole problem. To my opinion, both sides are very thin-skinned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 AM

427 posts, read 1,383,049 times
Honestly I don't think that a school should be able to withhold a diploma for any reason other than credits not being completed. She earned her diploma she did the work and her final grades were in, she completed school, and for a school to refuse to give her, her diploma over a word that she has the right to say is ridiculous.

She did not change the word maliciously, she watched and show or movie that had the sentence in it, and thought that it would be a good ending. And if the argument is about people not finding the word hell appropriate I'm sure I could find someone who thinks the word heck is inappropriate.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,053 times
She was retelling a story, a story in which the actual word said was "Hell". Substituting the word "heck" would be an intentional falsehood.

The principal would much rather that she lie to her entire audience than say a mild epithet; even though the people most likely to be offended by the epithet would probably be far more offended to find out that a lie had been inserted into the story to spare them the epithet.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM

36,962 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
She was retelling a story, a story in which the actual word said was "Hell". Substituting the word "heck" would be an intentional falsehood.

The principal would much rather that she lie to her entire audience than say a mild epithet; even though the people most likely to be offended by the epithet would probably be far more offended to find out that a lie had been inserted into the story to spare them the epithet.
Then why not submit the speech to the school using the word "hell"? Was it not an intentional falsehood to tell the school she was going to say "heck" when she had no intention of doing so? And it was intentional. She admitted that in her interview on the Today Show. She also paraphrased the rest of the movie speech. It was not a direct quote.

At the end of that Today interview, the comment was made that she plans to become a marine biologist, so it appears that the "I don't know" part of what she said is not true either.

Suppose that when her principal learned where she chose to go to college, he asked her about her career plans. Do you think she said to his face, "Hell, I don't know!" I doubt it. If she would not say it to him in a face to face situation, why say it at graduation?

Suppose that after she was named valedictorian she met her minister and his six year old son in McDonald's. Her minister congratulates her and asks about her career plans. Would she say, "Hell, I don't know!" If she would not, then why is it all right to say it when her minister and his son are in the audience for her speech at graduation?

Adm. Grace Murray Hopper said, "It is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission.” It seems Ms. Nootbaar decided not to ask permission and forgot the part about begging forgiveness.

Grace Murray Hopper (Author of Understanding Computers)

Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Then why not submit the speech to the school using the word "hell"? Was it not an intentional falsehood to tell the school she was going to say "heck" when she had no intention of doing so? And it was intentional. She admitted that in her interview on the Today Show. She also paraphrased the rest of the movie speech. It was not a direct quote.
I submitted the text of "The Bald Soprano" for my speech. Submitting the text is just a courtesy.
From what I read, she was quoting herself, not a movie.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I submitted the text of "The Bald Soprano" for my speech. Submitting the text is just a courtesy.
From what I read, she was quoting herself, not a movie.
No, she was using something she heard in a Twilight movie. It was not original material.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,623,869 times
I don't understand what the hell the problem is.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,887,591 times
The Vice-President of the United States said to the President, on camera and audible, when the President was signing the health-care bill, "This is a big f--kin' deal". I wonder if his high school rescinded his diploma?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The Vice-President of the United States said to the President, on camera and audible, when the President was signing the health-care bill, "This is a big f--kin' deal". I wonder if his high school rescinded his diploma?
Mr. Biden apologized to at least one person, a teenager.

Joe Biden Sends 'F-Bomb' Apology Letter To Kentucky Teen Brandon Halcomb

And Mr. Biden did not intend for his remark to be heard on air.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, she was using something she heard in a Twilight movie. It was not original material.
Not according to the article quoted above. She was retelling a conversation she had with her own father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education