Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the replies. It is interesting to hear about what registration is like in other districts and states. It's helpful when the replies include where the referenced schools are located.

I don't like the idea of an e-yearbook, I'd rather pay extra for the real thing. But then again I'm an old-school book-in-hand, pen & paper sort of person. No e-readers for this mama. But I'm sure in ten or so years, heavy yearbooks with their thick glossy pages and hard covers will be shelved forever, on to be forgotten along with cassette tapes, land line home phones, and cars without USB3 ports.

JustJulia - thank you for the new perspective. These school fees are indeed small potatoes compared to what's on the horizon!!

The optional fees and costs are sometimes easy to omit, and sometimes not. School pictures, for example. We don't need to purchase school photos. Especially in this day and age where we have camera's on our phones and tons of digital photos of our kids, and it's even so easy now to take good family portraits ourselves at home. But, I've never not been able to purchase my kids school photos. Mainly for sentimental reasons. We've purchased the same pose, same background, same package, for years and years. To stop would seem like breaking a family tradition. Even though now we do have the option of purchasing only the CD with the digital version of the photo on it... there is something about holding the real photo in your hand. Even cutting apart the smaller photos - there's just something about that process, a ritual perhaps. Mainly mothers (I'm sure some father's do this, too... but it's usually the mother's) for many generations have done this with their child's school photographs for many generations. It's just one of the things I can't not purchase, even though it is optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ugh, school fees. Both girls are in high school now, so ouch. I don't recall whether there were separate fees for core classes, but there was a ~$100 general fee per girl, tech fee, and various course fees. Add the yearbook, athletic pass, and a few other fees.

It's still cheaper than college books.
Everything is cheaper than college books!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Everything is cheaper than college books!
Except college tuition, housing, meal plan, fees, spending money.......

Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Ask for an accounting of your tax dollars. If it's X dollars per student, ask how the money is used. Since it's your tax dollars that paid for the school, why are you paying a fee to use a locker?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I don't remember paying any of those fees.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I also forgot to mention that our district no longer provides bus transportation for high school students. So, in addition to the registration fees, we also purchase a bus pass. (Our son currently rides the bus to school. If the kids drive, they pay for a parking permit.)

Bus passes aren't too expensive for students, thankfully - $24 per month. But still - they used to provide free bus passes to high school students. I was a bit irritated when they suddenly stopped doing that last year. $24 per month for the school year adds up to a little over $200 per year. We can afford it, but it's one more little expense in addition to all the other little school related expenses that we didn't have to budget for before. It all adds up.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
This is a very interesting thread. We do private, so I was curious what fees you paid in public school. Tuition covers all academic fees, but I wonder about AP exams (not there yet). Sports fees will cost us well in excess of $1200 for two kids. I just made a nice tax deductible donation for new cross country uniforms not in the budget. School trips? Probably $600-700 a piece. I do love our school, but the expenses go way beyond tuition. I realize not everyone can or wants to do what we have chosen, but sadly I feel this is necessary for a decent, college prep education in our area

Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I also forgot to mention that our district no longer provides bus transportation for high school students. So, in addition to the registration fees, we also purchase a bus pass. (Our son currently rides the bus to school. If the kids drive, they pay for a parking permit.)

Bus passes aren't too expensive for students, thankfully - $24 per month. But still - they used to provide free bus passes to high school students. I was a bit irritated when they suddenly stopped doing that last year. $24 per month for the school year adds up to a little over $200 per year. We can afford it, but it's one more little expense in addition to all the other little school related expenses that we didn't have to budget for before. It all adds up.

What State are you in? My system tried to do that last year and got ***** slapped by both the MD State Department of Education and the Feds.

There are distance minimums for bus rides.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Our district provides bus transportation if you live further than 2 miles I think - but charges for it. I forget what it is. .50 each way maybe? IDK. It started a couple years ago.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Our district provides bus transportation if you live further than 2 miles I think - but charges for it. I forget what it is. .50 each way maybe? IDK. It started a couple years ago.

Again it would vary by State but you parents ought to be raising Holy Hell about that. Compulsory education laws require your kids to be in school and I have no doubt school taxes are significant. Many states subsidize the transportation costs for regular and require transport for Special Ed (that's Federal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education