Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times

Advertisements

Mod note - this thread was started in 2012

I am very curious to know what registration fees are like in other public high schools across America.

At our public high school in Eugene, OR, we have a designated time where we must pick up our child's "Back to School Packet". Within the packet, we find a stack of misc. papers with a bunch of dates and info on them, plus a "fee sheet" that lists all the fees we must pay.

Then, there is a day set aside as "registration day". The students must show up on this day, turn in their filled-out forms and pay their fees in order to get their schedule, and they have their student I.D. photo taken at that time. This photo is also the one used in the yearbook.

That's pretty much it.

The fee's, though, keep getting more and more $$ each year. My son is a Junior this year. When he was a freshman, the school fees were a total of $85 (this included purchasing the yearbook). As a sophomore, the fees were $110 (including the yearbook). This year, however, the fees are $341. I am kind of shocked!!

They have added fees such as:

$5. locker fee

$10 for each language arts class you take

$10 for each science class you take

($30 per class if they are AP classes)

$10 physical education fee

As a senior, you have to pay a $40 graduation fee.

various fees depending on which grade you are in for "testing". As a junior, as have to pay $16. for this testing fee.

There is a $20 tech fee which is pretty standard, and if you are a driver you must pay $60 for a parking permit in order to park in the student parking area.

There are other fees... I'm only listing a few here.

Is this outrageous or is this the norm these days?

When I was in high school, we paid for our yearbook, bought our school supplies, and that was it. Picked up our schedule and we were good to go. (This was way back in the 90's, though, and in a different state.)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-24-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
No fees when I was in school either. I was about to claim we didn't pay them for my sons when they attended public school, until I read your breakdown.

Locker $10.00
Gym locker $5.00
Parking permit $100.00
Yearbook $95.00, but not mandatory
Senior dues $85.00, used to pay for monthly special activities for the class as well as graduation night. Does not include cap and gown, but that was paid directly to the company that supplied them. I think it was $30.00

No instructional fees at all, we didn't even have to pay for AP testing.

Senior year was by far the most expensive. Otherwise, it was just the locker fees. Parking is limited to seniors.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
I'm not sure all those fees are legal..... you have to have science and language to graduate, they can't charge a fee.

Other than locker, parking, yearbook,, and gym uniforms, I can't think of any fees. Of course you have to pay for AP exams, but those are optional.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am very curious to know what registration fees are like in other public high schools across America.

At our public high school in Eugene, OR, we have a designated time where we must pick up our child's "Back to School Packet". Within the packet, we find a stack of misc. papers with a bunch of dates and info on them, plus a "fee sheet" that lists all the fees we must pay.

Then, there is a day set aside as "registration day". The students must show up on this day, turn in their filled-out forms and pay their fees in order to get their schedule, and they have their student I.D. photo taken at that time. This photo is also the one used in the yearbook.

That's pretty much it.

The fee's, though, keep getting more and more $$ each year. My son is a Junior this year. When he was a freshman, the school fees were a total of $85 (this included purchasing the yearbook). As a sophomore, the fees were $110 (including the yearbook). This year, however, the fees are $341. I am kind of shocked!!

They have added fees such as:

$5. locker fee

$10 for each language arts class you take

$10 for each science class you take

($30 per class if they are AP classes)

$10 physical education fee

As a senior, you have to pay a $40 graduation fee.

various fees depending on which grade you are in for "testing". As a junior, as have to pay $16. for this testing fee.

There is a $20 tech fee which is pretty standard, and if you are a driver you must pay $60 for a parking permit in order to park in the student parking area.

There are other fees... I'm only listing a few here.

Is this outrageous or is this the norm these days?

When I was in high school, we paid for our yearbook, bought our school supplies, and that was it. Picked up our schedule and we were good to go. (This was way back in the 90's, though, and in a different state.)
Is it legal in your state to charge a fee to take a core academic class? My kids go to private school so I don't know what fees the public schools charge.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
There were none in NC where I taught. There were club fees if a student elected to join.

I too question if it is legal to charge for core classes. Smells like an old sock to me.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
My kids didn't pay any fees. Parking was free, you just had to sign up early enough to get a parking pass, since there were more kids driving than there were spots. We paid for yearbooks, but those were optional. And we paid for the cap and gown and invitations, but that wasn't until the spring semester and it went directly to the vendor. The only other thing I can think of were the fees paid to take the actual AP exams at the end of the school year. We were never charged to take classes (and my kids attended high school in Texas and Oklahoma). If they joined clubs, they would have to pay dues, but that was just something they did when they attended a meeting. Not something we had to pay for up front. And of course, if they were in band or something there would be certain fees for that, but I've never heard of being charged for a free public education.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My kids paid a lot of fees. Orchestra fee, lab fees, book fees for some AP classes. You could be issued a text for the AP classes, but you weren't allowed to highlight them or in any other way mark them up. There were also fees for taking the AP tests. There was a parking fee, more for seniors, who got to park closer.

It is legal in Colorado to charge such fees. Kids on free/reduced lunch were exempt.

I don't feel yearbook is a "fee". A YB is optional.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
I have two seniors this year.

Our school charges a $10 fee for PE Lockers (only 2 years of PE required and usually taken in 9th & 10th grade) and we have athletic fees ($100 for the 1st sport, $75 for each additional sport). There are fees for AP tests (can't remember the cost), and LOADS of additional expenses for seniors (some paid to the vendors) - graduation pics (a fee only if you buy pics and depending upon the pkg you purchase) , yearbook (optional, at $85), cap & gown (don't know the cost. My kids were handed down their caps/gowns by former graduates, at no cost to us. They will in turn pass theirs down). There are additional senior fees for the senior picnic and graduation night event (which will be held this year a week after graduation and is optional. This years destination is Disneyland. I don't know the cost yet). I'm sure there are other fees. I think they charge for copies of grade transcripts ($5).

There are PTA funds, too. Optional.

They do ask for lots of donations....for music, athletics, and nearly every club in the school, which is optional.

And every dance and play has a fee (optional to attend).

Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
No class fees, no locker fees (just a refundable padlock deposit).
No tech fee; in fact, each student gets a laptop at no charge.

Parking is $75, but that's only because they want to to discourage it.
We had to pay for AP tests, yearbooks, class rings, dances, clubs, sports equipment..

Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids paid a lot of fees. Orchestra fee, lab fees, book fees for some AP classes. You could be issued a text for the AP classes, but you weren't allowed to highlight them or in any other way mark them up. There were also fees for taking the AP tests. There was a parking fee, more for seniors, who got to park closer.

It is legal in Colorado to charge such fees. Kids on free/reduced lunch were exempt.

I don't feel yearbook is a "fee". A YB is optional.
Did they charge a fee for science classes? Or language classes? Or PE classes? I know many states prohibit charges for anything that is required to graduate.

Fees for the AP exams are common. The College Board charges $89 per test. Our kids (private college prep) pay $95 if they are taking the exams. The extra money goes to rent the site where the kids take the test (a local church) and to provide food before the exam.

Parking fees and yearbooks are common. I think that graduation fees are not common in public schools although there is a charge for the cap and gown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education