Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Is your son overweight or does he just have some of the features that go with excess cortisol production, such as a round face?

If he is overweight, a consultation with a nutritionist would be helpful. Diet and Cushing's syndrome:

Cushing's Syndrome: Diet

Having Cushing's syndrome does not mean being overweight is inevitable.

This coach is not the only one to question the calorie restriction in school lunches. Expecting a male who is 6 ft 2 in and 180 pounds to eat the same lunch as a female who is 5 ft 2 in and 115 pounds is not reasonable.

I favor schools offering more nutritious options. Blanket calorie reduction is not good.
Calorie restriction can also become unhealthy. My middle son is 6' tall, 140 lb. He is thin. Today's lunch was:

2 sandwiches
An entire quart of blueberries
A package of cookies
2 boxes of chocolate milk

After school he bought 2 slices of pizza before band.

He then came home and ate 2 lamb chops, couscous, spinach salad and sauteed onions/mushrooms.

He has lost 5 lb since school started because he can't seem to get enough calories to sustain his weight without eating throughout the day like he did in the summer. He was up to 145 this summer. I can't imagine how little he would weigh if we restricted his calorie intake.

His younger brother is different. He puts weight on very easily.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Calorie restriction can also become unhealthy. My middle son is 6' tall, 140 lb. He is thin. Today's lunch was:

2 sandwiches
An entire quart of blueberries
A package of cookies
2 boxes of chocolate milk

After school he bought 2 slices of pizza before band.

He then came home and ate 2 lamb chops, couscous, spinach salad and sauteed onions/mushrooms.

He has lost 5 lb since school started because he can't seem to get enough calories to sustain his weight without eating throughout the day like he did in the summer. He was up to 145 this summer. I can't imagine how little he would weigh if we restricted his calorie intake.

His younger brother is different. He puts weight on very easily.
Sounds like the Michael Phelps diet!

Your wallet has my sympathy!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-06-2012 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
I feel for you. Attempting to deal with teachers like this is a catch 22. While the media seems to be trying to shed light on bullying, they don't seem to recongize how much bullying is initiated by teachers.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I did state in a previous post that my son has Cushing's Syndrome which is the reason he is overweight. You are as insensitive as the teacher is.
No I am not.

Cushing's did not CAUSE weight gain. It causes hormonal changes. Those changes can cause weight gain due to metabolism issues. But Cushing's is usually controllable with either surgery or medication. If your sons disease is not being controlled get a new doctor.

And while Cushing's sucks the vast majority of people who are overweight do not have an underlying medical issue that prevents them from leading a healthier lifestyle. How selfish to demand that those children not get told the truth about their condition, a condition that can kill them AND is preventable just to avoid your sons hurt feelings. What about them?

Can you imagine if people with mesothelioma demanded that health professionals not tell people that lung cancer is caused by smoking?? At least the vast majority of the time. Because that is what you are doing.

This professional advocate for healthy lifestyles voices his opinion about a hard truth about a massive health problem facing millions and he should be punished because your son might get his feelings hurt over something that does not apply to him. Wow, talk about over sensitive.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Is your son overweight or does he just have some of the features that go with excess cortisol production, such as a round face?

If he is overweight, a consultation with a nutritionist would be helpful. Diet and Cushing's syndrome:

Cushing's Syndrome: Diet

Having Cushing's syndrome does not mean being overweight is inevitable.

This coach is not the only one to question the calorie restriction in school lunches. Expecting a male who is 6 ft 2 in and 180 pounds to eat the same lunch as a female who is 5 ft 2 in and 115 pounds is not reasonable.

I favor schools offering more nutritious options. Blanket calorie reduction is not good.

My son has an Endocrinologist as well as a quarterly trip to a Nutritionist. He was skin and bones until 2nd grade and started putting weight on at an alarming rate. It took two more years and countless trips to doctors. We found out about the growth after he fell breaking his arm and hitting his head. An MRI and C/Scan showed the growth. Pretty bad when a Orthopedic points something like that out. I too am in favor of the new school lunch guidelines. I also have a Type I diabetic son who is older but we still adhere to a diabetic diet at home.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No I am not.

Cushing's did not CAUSE weight gain. It causes hormonal changes. Those changes can cause weight gain due to metabolism issues. But Cushing's is usually controllable with either surgery or medication. If your sons disease is not being controlled get a new doctor.

And while Cushing's sucks the vast majority of people who are overweight do not have an underlying medical issue that prevents them from leading a healthier lifestyle. How selfish to demand that those children not get told the truth about their condition, a condition that can kill them AND is preventable just to avoid your sons hurt feelings. What about them?

Can you imagine if people with mesothelioma demanded that health professionals not tell people that lung cancer is caused by smoking?? At least the vast majority of the time. Because that is what you are doing.

This professional advocate for healthy lifestyles voices his opinion about a hard truth about a massive health problem facing millions and he should be punished because your son might get his feelings hurt over something that does not apply to him. Wow, talk about over sensitive.

The first and foremost symptom of Cushings is weight gain and fatty tissue deposits. Treatment varies from person to person. The treatment is not the same for everybody. Is it possible that maybe, just maybe a growth is in an area of the parathyroid that is not operable without a large risk of impairing a patient permanantly? You are making assumptions based on either your own personal experience or something you glanced at on the internet.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Removed murdering children comment.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that obesity IS NOT a qualifying condition? Yes, it can be hard to prove but I do know that there are people on disability because of obesity.

The SUBJECT being discussed was not obese people being a protected class. The subject was about a Health/PE teacher making inappropriate remarks on Facebook during schooltime.
The problem here is that not everyone agrees the remarks were inappropriate.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
When the teacher is the Peer Coach, Health Enhancement Instructor and PE Instructor, I think his opinion matters a great deal. He is responsible for teaching 168 students from Kindergarten through 12th grade about self esteem, healthy eating/exercising habits ect...So when he posts his derogatory opinion on obese children on a public forum for his students to see, comment and "like", the bullying has already started. While it is his opinion, it was extremely unprofessional and reckless for him to post these comments where ANY student could see them.

This is true to a point however, teachers are humans as well and they do have individuals thoughts and opinions which you may or may not agree with. I agree his posts were not particularly professional however, he is stating an opinion and he has not according to your post specified any child by name, age, class etc. Do you know for sure the comment was posted during his class time? Perhaps he was on his lunch break or in a study hall (I'm guessing here). The fact that he posted something you do not agree with for whatever reason is your choice to not agree but again, he is human and he should not be held to any higher standard than parents should be held to just because he is a teacher. Parents are teachers as well and the opinions of parents matter a great deal to their children moreso than a teachers opinion matters. Have you been discussing your concerns about these posts in front of your child where they have heard all the deragatory things you have said about this teacher? If so the words you spoke have already been changed, exaggerated a bit and taken to school with your child because you are your child's teacher at home and what you say matters a great deal to them and they are more than willing to pass along their opinions which are a direct result of your opinions to their friends at school.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
My son's PE/Health Enhancement/Peer teacher who happens to be our schools Athletic Director, football coach and basketball coach posted a reply to the Obama Nutrition Bill on Facebook. His post states that he is against the bill as it only takes into consideration obese children in Inner Cities, Washington ect...and doesn't reflect small rural towns such as ours. He then goes on to state that his very own children are active, athletic and NOT obese so why should his healthy active children starve because of a few "overweight or obese" students. He states that healthy, active students should not be forced to adhere to the new guidelines just because of a few obese kids The next day he replied to another article on the Nutrition Bill saying that obese kids are not obese because of school lunches but come to school that way and that it is the fault of underactive, unhealthy kids and lack of parental guidance at home and blames the government, obese children and their parents for punishing children such as his own who are active and healthy. These posts were made during school time, during one of his classes. I have printed out the page and also saved it to my computer.

As the mother of four boys, one being overweight, I was extremely offended by this. First off, he is the Peer Coach in our tiny school of less than 200 K through 12th grade. There are less than 4 students in the entire k-12 student body that would be considered obese. My son who is overweight is in Junior High and also happens to be a friend on this teachers Facebook strictly for basketball and football reasons. I have managed to keep my son off Facebook for the last few days so he does not see this teachers posts. I have had many community members come to me asking me what I feel about the posts as they feel it was VERY innappropriate and discriminates against obese students. I think what upsets me the most is that this teacher friend list on Facebook consists mainly of students. More than half of the people who "liked" what the teacher posted are students who attend school with my son. I am now concerned about sending my son to school when there are this many students and one teacher who feel this way about obese/overweight students. I feel that the remarks of the teacher has "influenced" other students overall view of obese/overweight students. My son is active, participates in every sport, football, basketball and track, bikes to school and home everyday and swims everyday in the summer. He also has Cushings Syndrome. All of this activity along with eating healthy is just enough to keep him from gaining weight, he does not lose weight easily and won't until the growth on his parathyroid has completely disappeared. The teacher himself is overweight but his children are not so he feels he must make innappropriate comments concerning obese students who he is supposed to be a mentor, role model, teach proper health and peer issues to? At this point I do not want my children in any class of his.
My first thought is why would a PE/Health teacher go on Facebook to rail against a bill raising the nutritional standards of school lunches in the first place? Isn't proper nutrition something he should be teaching his students ?

OP, he sounds insensitive to me. I would schedule a meeting to remind him of your son's condition, and let him know his post was hurtful. Your son sounds as though he is active and aware that his weight must be managed. Would he feel comfortable talking to the coach himself?

I don't think you should jump the gun however. It's entirely possible he was just thoughtless, and didn't even think of your son while he was typing.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM

640 posts, read 717,389 times
Quote:
The SUBJECT being discussed was not obese people being a protected class. The subject was about a Health/PE teacher making inappropriate remarks on Facebook during schooltime.
How is it inappropriate if it's true? You do realize that your son and others with his condition make up a statistically small percentage of overall children's obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education