Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

OP - You have a HUGE opportunity here. You can use this to teach your son that as long as he gives his best you are proud of him. You can teach him that in America we have freedom of speech and the coach has the right to make his opinions on this subject known. You can teach him to stand up for himself if he thinks he's being discriminated against. You can teach him to hold his head up no matter what.

Or you can hide him from life and/or teach him to be a victim because you think the teacher is picking on him.

There will always be people out there saying things. Some will affect you and your family. Some you may react to and take offense at. How you react to this situation will be something your son learns from. It's up to you to decide if you're going to use this as a negative... or something to make your son stronger in life.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No I am not.

Cushing's did not CAUSE weight gain. It causes hormonal changes. Those changes can cause weight gain due to metabolism issues. But Cushing's is usually controllable with either surgery or medication. If your sons disease is not being controlled get a new doctor.

And while Cushing's sucks the vast majority of people who are overweight do not have an underlying medical issue that prevents them from leading a healthier lifestyle. How selfish to demand that those children not get told the truth about their condition, a condition that can kill them AND is preventable just to avoid your sons hurt feelings. What about them?

Can you imagine if people with mesothelioma demanded that health professionals not tell people that lung cancer is caused by smoking?? At least the vast majority of the time. Because that is what you are doing.

This professional advocate for healthy lifestyles voices his opinion about a hard truth about a massive health problem facing millions and he should be punished because your son might get his feelings hurt over something that does not apply to him. Wow, talk about over sensitive.
Maybe not in exact words but your comment leans towards me preventing a disease that can kill my son. Hence the many many doctor appointments, testing, dietician, Endocrinologist ect.....

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate comment

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Maybe not in exact words but your comment leans towards me preventing a disease that can kill my son. Well no s#%t Sherlock. Hence the many many doctor appointments, testing, dietician, Endocrinologist ect.....
What I said was:

"And while Cushing's sucks the vast majority of people who are overweight do not have an underlying medical issue that prevents them from leading a healthier lifestyle. How selfish to demand that those children not get told the truth about their condition,a condition that can kill them AND is preventable just to avoid your sons hurt feelings. What about them? "

What I was CLEARLY referring to is the VAST majority of children who do not have Cushings. Meaning a very separate group from your child. Hence the use of the words "those" and "them" as opposed to "your". Words that clearly refer to a SEPARATE group.

THOSE children (again not YOUR CHILD) have an entirely preventable condition, being overweight or obese, and that PREVENTABLE condition, can kill. But apparently, helping them is not as important as avoiding your sons hurt feelings.

And the fact that you want to get a teacher fired over your sons hurt feelings; feelings he needs to learn how to deal with now, because his condition is life long; is literally RIDICULOUS.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Something "deeply, deeply wrong with your" ?? removed

Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What I said was:

"And while Cushing's sucks the vast majority of people who are overweight do not have an underlying medical issue that prevents them from leading a healthier lifestyle. How selfish to demand that those children not get told the truth about their condition,a condition that can kill them AND is preventable just to avoid your sons hurt feelings. What about them? "

What I was CLEARLY referring to is the VAST majority of children who do not have Cushings. Meaning a very separate group from your child. Hence the use of the words "those" and "them" as opposed to "your". Words that clearly refer to a SEPARATE group.

THOSE children (again not YOUR CHILD) have an entirely preventable condition, being overweight or obese, and that PREVENTABLE condition, can kill. But apparently, helping them is not as important as avoiding your sons hurt feelings.

And the fact that you want to get a teacher fired over your sons hurt feelings; feelings he needs to learn how to deal with now, because his condition is life long; is literally RIDICULOUS.
I have never tried to "get this teacher fired". Our school has a hard enough time finding and keeping teachers. I do expect the teachers that the school district employs at the very least be able to work with children in a manner that shows professionalism and concern for youth in all aspects.

First you say my son has a "curable" disease, now you say it's lifelong. Make up your mind.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-09-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This thread has been closed due to too much moderation needed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education