Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I read down the page and see more what was going on. I am like you in that we do not consume alcoholic beverages and as a rule we would not let our children go to homes where alcohol was consumed. A block party is a different thing and evidently this teacher was probably brought up in a home where this is normal. Our children knew to let us know when they visited a home and the parents drank alcoholic beverages and all together playtimes with those children were at our home beyond that time. I am sure if this were in our neighborhood, this would be our last block party. Alcoholic beverages should not be served when children are present.
More food for the rest of us.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I don't think this is an issue. What if the teacher went out to eat with their spouse and had a beer or glass of wine and there was a past student and their parents in the restaurant? They are adult and have their own lives once work is over.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I read down the page and see more what was going on. I am like you in that we do not consume alcoholic beverages and as a rule we would not let our children go to homes where alcohol was consumed. A block party is a different thing and evidently this teacher was probably brought up in a home where this is normal. Our children knew to let us know when they visited a home and the parents drank alcoholic beverages and all together playtimes with those children were at our home beyond that time. I am sure if this were in our neighborhood, this would be our last block party. Alcoholic beverages should not be served when children are present.

This is a bit on the extreme side but your choice for your home and children. If this would have been the case in my family we as children would have never seen anyone ever in our family, even my grandparents who were non drinkers would have one glass of sherry or mogan david wine on New Years Eve.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
People who don't drink alcohol always perceive those who do as irresponsible drunkards. There is nothing inappropriate about an adult having a beer or two at a social function, where children are present. This is normal.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
While I think we all mostly agree this should not be seen as inappropriate, just a reminder that many school districts do not agree.
Since some of the teacher's former students were there, I would assume this was a public gathering inside the boundaries of the district. There are definitely districts that discourage and even sanction for drinking in public inside district boundaries.
It could be worse... I work for a police department, and helped organize our neighborhood trivia night. Since there were people drinking at the trivia night (not me), one of the neighbors who is a teetotaler reported me to the ATF for bootlegging and I had to go through a federal investigation.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
While I think we all mostly agree this should not be seen as inappropriate, just a reminder that many school districts do not agree.
Since some of the teacher's former students were there, I would assume this was a public gathering inside the boundaries of the district. There are definitely districts that discourage and even sanction for drinking in public inside district boundaries.
It could be worse... I work for a police department, and helped organize our neighborhood trivia night. Since there were people drinking at the trivia night (not me), one of the neighbors who is a teetotaler reported me to the ATF for bootlegging and I had to go through a federal investigation.
If people choose to not drink, that is their option. But drinking is legal in almost every square foot of the USA, and those who choose to not drink shouldn't try to impart their (usually) religious morals on those who choose to responsibly consume alcohol. To do so makes them no different than a jihadist who feels that their way is the only way.

I'd never bring alcohol to a dry social event, but those who attend a social event where they know or should reasonably assume that there will be alcohol served and then complain about it need to get a life and should never be welcomed or invited again.

As to the neighbor who turned you in for bootlegging--perhaps a call of complaint to the tax department the next time she holds a garage sale and doesn't collect sales tax is warranted.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I never questioned whether it was legal. But not everything that is legal is appropriate, especially when little kids are around. I'd feel somewhat the same way about the pediatrician, although that's not someone my kids know as well as a teacher they see everyday. I'm not sure they'd recognize their dentist and I don't think of him as someone who is molding and influencing my children, so I probably wouldn't care.
So you DO care then!

Teachers like to do the same things as other adults. There is nothing immoral about beer.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So you DO care then!

Teachers like to do the same things as other adults. There is nothing immoral about beer.
Agreed, the only thing I'm seeing that's immoral is the judgement of those who chose to responsibly consume beer on their own time in a situation where it is completely appropriate.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm curious what people's thoughts are about this as I've never socialized with my kids' teachers before. Now we live in a neighborhood that includes the elementary school, and a few teachers live there, as well. We were recently at a block party and my 2nd grader's teacher was drinking beer. I was somewhat surprised because many of her current and former students were there. I tend to be straight-laced, so maybe I was off-base thinking it wasn't appropriate. What is the norm in this type of situation?
If you aren't comfortable w/ people being themselves when they aren't at work teaching your child....Then
#1. don't participate in your neighborhood events, or
#2. move.
That's your choices. I don't drink either, but I certainly don't have the right to expect, or micromanage or police my kids teachers on their own time. Seems very petty imo.

Last edited by JanND; 09-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Or is it that Children should NOT be present where alcohol is served. You can control your children, you cannot control adults. You always have the right to not attend a block party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education