Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Our students have 5 which is plenty of time to go to the bathroom while en route from A to B. Whether 3 minutes is enough depends on the size and layout of the school. It really only takes about 30 seconds to pee. Time yourself next time.
Read my previous post.

Quote:
It's not difficult,but it certaintly not easy. My old Highschool only gave us three minutes to change between classes.There was just no time for the bathroom,we'd have to come from the class we were in, go to our locker,which perhaps is on a different floor, then run back up or down the stairs to a different building in 3 minutes so where is the bathroom break time?

We had 8 periods, lunch periods were 3rd,4th,5th,6th periods and that was it.
It was a lose,lose situation. If you had the early lunch, like 3rd or 4th then you might have to go during 7th or 8th. Late lunches,you might have to go in the morning.
So it's not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Our students have 5 which is plenty of time to go to the bathroom while en route from A to B. Whether 3 minutes is enough depends on the size and layout of the school. It really only takes about 30 seconds to pee. Time yourself next time.
And how long to wait for an open stall?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Reasonable requests should not be denied. I have a niece with Chrone's Disease who has nearly had accidents after being told to wait.

Little kids, too might have a hard time holding it for more than several minutes.

On the other hand, my middle school daughter says that her classmates often abuse bathroom passes, arranging to meet in the restroom at a certain time to goof off during class.

Experienced teachers probably can tell when a kid needs to go now and when they can wait a few minutes. I'd be cautious about letting kids go during tests and would probably bring the entire class to the bathroom beforehand.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And how long to wait for an open stall?
That depends on the factilities. I would assume that only a small percentage of the students have to go at the same time and factilities are adequate. I went to a high school with over 2000 students and don't recall having a problem peeing between classes. Heck, I had time to go out for a smoke...(back in the 70's when students had smoking areas). Where there's a will, there's a way.

What irks me is when they ask right after lunch. Seriously? You were just in the cafeteria for 30 minutes with 5 minutes passing on each end and you couldn't use the bathroom?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Reasonable requests should not be denied. I have a niece with Chrone's Disease who has nearly had accidents after being told to wait.

Little kids, too might have a hard time holding it for more than several minutes.

On the other hand, my middle school daughter says that her classmates often abuse bathroom passes, arranging to meet in the restroom at a certain time to goof off during class.

Experienced teachers probably can tell when a kid needs to go now and when they can wait a few minutes. I'd be cautious about letting kids go during tests and would probably bring the entire class to the bathroom beforehand.
Teachers need to be told when there is an issue.

Students often meet up with friends. If they only asked for passes when they really had to use the bathroom, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

What irks me is when they ask right after lunch. Seriously? You were just in the cafeteria for 30 minutes with 5 minutes passing on each end and you couldn't use the bathroom?
Yeah - it's amazing that these crazy kids suddenly have to use the toilet AFTER eating, instead of before, or during their meals. And the nerve of them, insisting that their digestive systems don't allow them to expel their bodily fluids *immediately* after consuming them, and claiming that it took at least 10 minutes for their bladders to fill up after the lunch period ended, and NOW all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they have to go to the bathroom.

Honestly - when I was a kid, we walked uphill 15 miles in 50 feet of snow, both ways, with bare feet. We drank the snow, which we melted by breathing on it (they hadn't invented stoves yet, back in the day). And gosh darn it if OUR parents taught us not to DARE allow our bladders to fill until after all our chores were done for the day, and our prayers were said, and the cows were milked, and the chickens were egged, and the geese flew south for the winter. Only then ... were we allowed to express, verbally, that our bladders needed to be emptied.

And then we'd get a whoopin with the switch, dol gum it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah - it's amazing that these crazy kids suddenly have to use the toilet AFTER eating, instead of before, or during their meals. And the nerve of them, insisting that their digestive systems don't allow them to expel their bodily fluids *immediately* after consuming them, and claiming that it took at least 10 minutes for their bladders to fill up after the lunch period ended, and NOW all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they have to go to the bathroom.

Honestly - when I was a kid, we walked uphill 15 miles in 50 feet of snow, both ways, with bare feet. We drank the snow, which we melted by breathing on it (they hadn't invented stoves yet, back in the day). And gosh darn it if OUR parents taught us not to DARE allow our bladders to fill until after all our chores were done for the day, and our prayers were said, and the cows were milked, and the chickens were egged, and the geese flew south for the winter. Only then ... were we allowed to express, verbally, that our bladders needed to be emptied.

I have no response to the second part of the quote.Haha

Yet, I agree and disagree with the first part of the quote.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I'm talking they walk in the room and the second the bell rings NOW they have to go. They just came off a 40 minute break. There's no excuse for that. Another one is 5 minutes after first bell rings. REALLY? You couldn't go BEFORE first hour?

You may find this really hard to believe but I eat lunch during that very same time frame the students do and I have a digestive tract too (imagine that...). I make it a point to go to the bathroom just before going to class because I know I won't get to go again for four hours. I see no reason why teenagers can't be expected to do the same. No one thinks twice of expecting this of teachers. I guess we teachers just have super bladders....

I do not see why it's reasonable to expect a teacher to use the bathroom during lunch but not a student. Why the double standard?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

I do not see why it's reasonable to expect a teacher to use the bathroom during lunch but not a student. Why the double standard?
If you have a problem with you own, personal bathroom breaks take it up with your administration.

If you have a lot of students urgently needing to go right after lunch and this comes as a surprise to you I suggest you brush up on human anatomy.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you have a problem with you own, personal bathroom breaks take it up with your administration.

If you have a lot of students urgently needing to go right after lunch and this comes as a surprise to you I suggest you brush up on human anatomy.
I don't have a problem with it. I just make sure I pee during my lunch break so I don't have to later. I know the score. If I don't go at 10:30, I won't get to go again until 2:30. So I go at 10:30. What I don't get is why this is unreasonable to expect of students but ok to expect from teachers. Believe it not, teachers are human too and subject to the same biological processeses.

I know about human digestion...why do you think I make it a point to go to the bathroom right after I have lunch? Hint...so I won't have to later when certain processes kick in. I know that I'm going to have to go shortly after eating so I go preemptively. It's like going to the bathroom before a long car trip. If you start out with your bladder empty, you go longer before you need to use the bathroom again. Do you really not know this? As long as I go during lunch, I don't have a problem making it to the end of the day. I don't remember the last time I left class to go to the bathroom. I did a few times my first year but I figured it out and haven't called anyone to watch my class in over three years.

If students made it a point go to the bathroom at lunch time, they'd be asking for fewer bathroom passes. I've asked kids why they didn't go at lunch and they, usually, tell me they were busy talking to friends. They wait until class starts to ask. I find that annoying when they could have gone 5 minutes earlier and not disrupted class.

I actually get the most requests at the end of the day but that class tends to get done with their work early so I'm ok with that. They know I don't care if they go during work time, as long as they get their work done, and they'd rather not have to make a pit stop on the way to the bus. I just find the ones right after the bell 1st hour and after lunch annoying because I know those kids could have gone five minutes ago. Later in the hour is more understandable.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-15-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education