Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times

Advertisements

Having been a teacher for many years, mentor teacher, administrator, I can tell you, other teachers, know who is a "good teacher" and who is not...If there was an anonymous poll in any school, for ranking of teachers, by other teachers, you would see the top ten and the bottom ten be pretty consistent. That would be a starting point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Since you started the thread, how would you define incompetent?

I think there is a difference between "incompetent" and "ineffective."

The other piece of this equation--which obviously isn't the focus of this thread--is who would be replacing these "incompetent" or "ineffective" teachers? If the incentives aren't there to attract quality candidates into the field, simply firing tens of thousands of teachers isn't going to improve educational outcomes.
To me, an incompetent teacher is one who resorts to bullying and belittling their students (middle school). Also, a teacher who can't keep their kindergarten class under control. And one who allows their male teachers aid to bully her students. Also, a teacher who can't explain the subject they are supposed to be teaching. A teacher who things assigning homework without explaining the material to their students before sending them home and expecting their parents to be the teachers. I have no problem with homework being assigned in order to reinforce a lesson. I also don't have a problem expecting parents to play a supportive role in their children's education. I do have a problem with teachers who expect parents to be teachers.

Ineffective is another good word. An ineffective teacher fails to inspire his or her students. Fails to find a way to hold their attention and keep their interest. They may know the subject and can work well with the students who are easier to teach, but fail to help the children who are more challenging.

And although it may not be the "focus of this thread" I was thinking of that as I started the thread. Which is why I did ask the question "how many would be left" in the title I agree that if were were to fire all incompetent and ineffective teachers, there probably wouldn't be enough teachers left.

Yes, incentives would be nice. Unfortunately, we all know that incentives usually cost money and that is one more of the many obstacle that we are dealing with in this mess.

I do sometimes find it a bit frustrating when people answer a question with a question . Now that I shared my understanding of what incompetent is, are you willing to share your idea of what it means?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Who "stands up against accountability"? Nobody I know. Of course I should be held accountable for things I have control over. People stand up against being held accountable for things which are out of their control.
Nobody you know that would admit it.

I understand that it's not fair to measure a teachers effectiveness based on their students performance it certain cases. But I also know there are teachers who would not stand up to scrutiny of any kind.

Can you say that you've never met a teacher that was clearly in the wrong profession?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Having been a teacher for many years, mentor teacher, administrator, I can tell you, other teachers, know who is a "good teacher" and who is not...If there was an anonymous poll in any school, for ranking of teachers, by other teachers, you would see the top ten and the bottom ten be pretty consistent. That would be a starting point...
Thank you.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
How would you define incompetent, and by that definition how what percentage of teachers would you consider incompetent.

If there is a more appropriate word that I should be using, please feel free to let me know.
I would use the definition in common use now administratively.
If a student fails, the teacher is incompetent.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
I just wanted to state that I think the idea that a person can just tell if a teacher is incompetent of not based on their personal view points to be ludicrous.

I am a very popular teacher, that fact states nothing about my effectiveness. So the majority of parents, and my former students would say I am an effective teacher, but that would be based on their personal experience. Meanwhile there are two maybe three students who say I am absolutely an incompetent teacher. One just this year fought tooth and nail to get out of my class because when I had her as a sophomore she did not get an A and blamed it one me. None of which proves one way or another whether or not I am an effective teacher.

Hell, it is hard for most teachers to know personally if they are effective. There are far too many variables to pick out how much value is added by me alone.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Again, how would they know?

I have no idea whether or not other teachers are effective or not based on just teaching in the same school. I can acknowledge that most of my opinions about their "teaching" are based on hearsay from students, and my personal opinion of them as people.

There is a teacher in my school who lectures for the entire 80 min period. To me this is ridiculous and I would consider that ineffective. OTOH, she usually has a few kids who ace the AP exam. Is that due to her skill, the kids innate abilities, or some combination of those along with a huge variety of other factors?

A list of popularity of teachers with each other would also overlap strongly with the list proposed above. Seems to me that the idea that teacher just magically know who is or is not particularly effective just ignores reality.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Nobody you know that would admit it.

I understand that it's not fair to measure a teachers effectiveness based on their students performance it certain cases. But I also know there are teachers who would not stand up to scrutiny of any kind.

Can you say that you've never met a teacher that was clearly in the wrong profession?
I have met janitors clearly in the wrong profession and CFOs in the wrong profession.

So what? The nature of any employment combined with human nature means there will always be a bell curve of ability to complete one's job. It is the Lake Wobegone effect. Everyone thinks they are great at their job, are above average intelligence, above average drivers, etc. When in reality most people are average at most things.

Same with teachers. Some of us are great, some of us suck, most of us are in the middle.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
Incompetent teachers should have been fired as they were found. That way, you'd have new people easily fill their spots.

If they wiped them all out now...

They'd be short staffed.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Incompetent teachers should have been fired as they were found. That way, you'd have new people easily fill their spots.

If they wiped them all out now...

They'd be short staffed.
Ah, so please show me any field where due to the above method of dealing with incompetence there are literally NO incompetent people. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education