U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,088,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yep, I'd have to just say "welcome to a capitalist society"
The U.S. is different than other countries. Money matters.

My child also received bribes from the teacher to participate and would feel left out of the rubber ducks if he didn't. I remember being amazed that a little rubber duck the size of a pencil eraser held that much importance. But yes, that was his reward for running around door to door amongst the competition from his school. lol Funny how nicely those bribes work on the young. We teach competition early. lol
Kids need more competition. Prizes are not bribes. Kids should learn that winning gets rewarded. It's bad enough everybody gets a trophy and they don't keep score.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,642,555 times
Child labor? If you've ever been the parent in charge of one of these fundraisers believe me it is adult labor. Collecting forms, tallying the totals, awarding prizes, distributing the products then dealing with bounced checks problems with the orders, demanding parents etc. All the child does is sell the products, some poor volunteer on the other end puts in a lot of hours to make that money.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM

17,086 posts, read 12,257,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Child labor? If you've ever been the parent in charge of one of these fundraisers believe me it is adult labor. Collecting forms, tallying the totals, awarding prizes, distributing the products then dealing with bounced checks problems with the orders, demanding parents etc. All the child does is sell the products, some poor volunteer on the other end puts in a lot of hours to make that money.
And what's tragic is how little the school will actually take in compared to all the free labor provided by people of all ages. The fundraising companies laugh all the way to the bank.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 AM

13,139 posts, read 31,606,687 times
I've done fundraisers where the profit is 50% and people asked me ahead of time for the products. Not all fundraisers are full of junk products.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM

302 posts, read 444,698 times
Fundraisers start in kindergarten here. The kids are given a catalog of some type of overpriced crap and are enticed to sell, sell, sell to win a "prize" from another catalog, usually something you could get at the dollar store anyway. The kids are told not to go door-to-door, but do it anyway. At work you are bombarded with parents hawking candy bars, unbaked cookie dough and wrapping paper, etc. A lot of folks can't afford to buy this stuff from every pushy parent in the office.

If the child, or more than likely the parents, choose not to participate, or do not sell enough product, they are made to feel a failure or ostracized by the school staff and the other students. This may not be child labor, but a five year old does not need to learn to pester people to buy something they don't really want, particularly since they don't even bother to teach them basics like how to tell time or write and read cursive writing.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM

7,766 posts, read 6,737,765 times
Candy bars! THERE'S a fundraiser item I'm always happy to buy. It doesn't matter if it's for band or chorus or wrestling. My kids are long grown now, but those candy bars are still good. Nix on the cans of stale popcorn and overpriced wrapping paper, though.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM

17,165 posts, read 21,274,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Candy bars! THERE'S a fundraiser item I'm always happy to buy. It doesn't matter if it's for band or chorus or wrestling. My kids are long grown now, but those candy bars are still good. Nix on the cans of stale popcorn and overpriced wrapping paper, though.
World's Finest Chocolate...

World's Finest Chocolate

The CEO, Eddie Opler, was on my son's soccer team in Chicago when he was 12 or 13. Here is is now talking about getting sugar prices down.

Eddie Opler of World's Finest Chocolate Discusses Sugar Reform - YouTube

Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,247,371 times
It may not be child labor but it sure is a PITA. My sons are only 1 year apart so they would both be selling the same stuff at the same time. All the way through elementary school it was wrapping paper and gift stuff. It was sold by the entire school for the PTO. It was used for things like new playground equipment, etc. They offered all kinds of prizes and a special movie day at the school for those who participated, while the ones that didn't had to stay in class and work. Nice. Of course, they told them not to go door to door, but everyone did. It was a mad race the minute they got home from school, because we had so many kids in our neighborhood everyone wanted to be the first to get to the neighbors. We had no family to abuse locally, so we had to do it long distance. I would call my mom and she would tell me just to pick something out from each boy and mail it to her. My husband refused to take it to work. He said the counters in the break room was always covered that fundraising junk and he refused to be a part of it. All of our friends had their own kids selling the same junk, so there was no one other than neighbors to abuse. It got so bad, after a few years even their grandmother told them "no".

And there was cub/boy scouts too. Not only did our troop sell popcorn, they sold Christmas wreaths, fertilizer, and flag subscriptions. By the time they were in junior high and high school it was all of that plus wrapping paper again, magazines, candles, butter braids, sausage and bacon, and cookie dough, for the PTO, band, orchestra and all the other organizations they were in. It was like a full time job for both of them. It got to be ridiculous. By the time they were in high school I might order something, but that was it. I just put my foot down and told them they weren't bothering one single person to sell crap to them.

Just recently I drove by our local junior high and I noticed something on the marquee about their "write a check" fundraiser. How I wish we'd had that when my kids were in school.

They are both now in college, the oldest already through undergrad and in law school, and I still have some of that stupid wrapping paper they sold in elementary school.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,475 posts, read 50,699,948 times
Dairy Farm Boarding School is child labor... BTDT... didn't kill me

Most 'Fund raisers' are pitifully ineffective and take LOTS of time away from EDU focus.
But there are some GEMS... (which can no longer include fixing and serving food due to health regulations)

Our choir made $12k ($1970 dollars = $66k in 2012) on one night hosting a crab feed. One night is about the right amount of time to spend on a fund raiser.

We frequently have similar success with HUGE one day garage sale with everything GONE by 6PM

With 'new' media, there is no reason kids can't be selling donated treasures on ebay / similar. Beats txtg all day.

My own kids built and designed their own houses while in Jr High (Home school project) It netted them ~$70k each, Enough to cover college (tho they got that for free thanks to state program that allows kids to do college INSTEAD of High School. (and funds them for 2 yrs)).

Both were a good disicplined investments for 'fund raising', each took considerable efforts AS A FAMILY. I find fund raisers that incorporate the whole family to be a lot more lucrative. (More $$ collected per time spent) Time is very precious, use wisely!!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,049,843 times
[quote=Dopo;26462203
Am I the only one that thinks that's a form of child labor?[/quote]

No, you aren't.

But I am someone ALSO raised "elsewhere", so again it's, culture.
Now of course, just because it's culture doesn't necessarily make it OK.
Cultures can be organized in essentially harmful ways on any particular aspect of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education