U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,049,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yep, I'd have to just say "welcome to a capitalist society"
The U.S. is different than other countries. Money matters.

My child also received bribes from the teacher to participate and would feel left out of the rubber ducks if he didn't. I remember being amazed that a little rubber duck the size of a pencil eraser held that much importance. But yes, that was his reward for running around door to door amongst the competition from his school. lol Funny how nicely those bribes work on the young. We teach competition early. lol
I have been told times and times again on this forum that this is a free country where people are allowed to make their own choices. (Supposedly, unlike other places). I am not debating the essential "rightness" or "wrongness" of the fundraising thing.
FOR ME, IT IS WRONG. PERIOD.

None of the arguments about "building community", "teaching children how to work for what they want" and being "money savvy" will work on me. I am a naturalized US citizen with a "diverse" background and my "diversity" makes me see fundraising as "wrong".

However, given that most born and raised Americans don't think it's wrong, as described above...how do I exercise my choice/freedom of saying "no way!" when doing this will directly harm my child as he will eventually be singled out and we will all look like pariahs in the eyes of teachers, peers, school, etc...if I make my choice?

In conclusion, no, I do not have "a choice". I pay the money anyway, even if I don't want to, just so that I will save my child from disgrace, ill-will or odd looks.

Of course, the "de rigueur" conclusion is that I need to leave if I don't like the "American way"; but given I can't leave right now, can anyone just humor me and admit that "people in this country are free to make their own choices PROVIDED the choices fall in line with what the culture deems choose-able"?.

Just like everywhere else?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When my kids were in school, I had an absolute rule. Absolutely no fundraising. That goes both ways. She buys absolutely nothing being sold by the school or other students, and she sells or contributes absolutely nothing to raise funds for the school or any school-associated organizations. This goes for all third-party sales or fundraising in which the school acts as an intermediary. I made it a point to communicate this rule to the school administration, so they would know that it was MY rule, not the kids just being rebellious of non-cooperative.
Shoot! Looks like someone has found a way.
Did you just shrug at the social/school-related consequences for your children or did you have other, more sophisticated tactics? Would care to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM

9,727 posts, read 19,991,846 times
My suggestion, if you don't want your kids selling products for fund raisers, would be to write a check to the school if you can afford it, just as you're doing, syracusa. Or you might decide to just let your kids do it because "maybe the school knows best." I'm not saying it does, but if you direct your kids to go against what the school is asking of them, you should have a sound reason beyond, "It is wrong. Period." Can you explain why it's wrong -- to your children and to the school? If so, explain it. Done deal.

Personally, I don't like the kind of fundraisers where kids go door to door selling products, or worse, chances to win something. My daughter did it with Girl Scout cookies, and my grand-daughter did it too. That's not so bad, because I know a lot of people look forward to them once each year. And if the high school band wants to set up a table outside of Walmart and sell tickets, fine. But I don't appreciate them knocking on my door. I just don't like interruptions when I'm home. There are far too many baseball teams, etc., etc., etc. to have them all bugging me, and if only some do, why can the others survive without door-to-door sales?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,762,086 times
Most fundraisers aren't mandatory. Even if they are, most kids ignore them and aren't interested in the "awards given.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 PM

17,165 posts, read 21,274,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Most fundraisers aren't mandatory. Even if they are, most kids ignore them and aren't interested in the "awards given.
Yep. We haven't had a problem when we didn't want to do them.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM

11,561 posts, read 11,282,475 times
As mentioned, many times it's the parents soliciting the funds, not the kids. It was very common for the order forms to be routed throughout the office by one of the parents, or to receive an email asking us to buy 'whatever' to support their child's school or upcoming event.

One time I was asked to donate so that the band could participate in the Rose Parade. The parents began asking for money nearly a year in advance. I asked one of the parents what, if anything, the students themselves were doing to raise money; and was told that as far as she knew, nothing....the parents were doing all the work. That was ludicrous! There was no reason each student could not earn sufficient money within a year's time to pay their way out to CA (they had weekends, holidays and a full summer's vacation to earn money). It came down to each student needing to earn only $80/month to pay for the trip, yet the parents took it upon themselves to sell products to support the trip.

Just seemed to me that it would have been an excellent opportunity for the students to learn responsibility and appreciate the trip even more if they earned the money themselves, or at least a large portion of it.
I wrote an email to the school's band teacher suggesting this, and never received a reply.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 69 times
It's totally child labor. Sure the activities give a small portion to the groups selling the products. But the companies are the ones making massive profits with extremely little overhead and the money generated is produced from. you guess it CHILD LABOR.

Take for example My kids school just started a cookie dough fund raiser. $22 for a single cookie dough. Here's the break down.
1 unit of cookie dough
.78 product purchase
.25 packaging
.47 shipping
.18 marketing
=$1.68 Per Unit
The group receives for said activity supported
$4-$6 Per Unit

We will go with the high end for this example
$1.68+$6.00
So the Fundraising Company has earned
$14.32 that you and your child have spent hours and hours for free ( to the company ) to produce a profit for the company.
This does not include Gas for transportation, Electricity to store the product safely in a refrigerated medium that you must provide even if you dont sell any units.

Not only this but it is a extremely bad idea to have underage kids handle Cash assets.
Dangerous for Underage children soliciting unknown adults.

So long story short Your putting the safety of your children. Their time, your time, your financial resources. to provide a product for profit to a company that knowingly is taking advantage of you and your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education