U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM

16,947 posts, read 23,107,763 times

Advertisements

I'll start by clarifying that I grew up in a different country and came to the US when I was a teenager.
Growing up "over there" I never ever heard of any school doing "fundraisers" and sending kids to sell things to raise funds for the school.

I still can't believe that fundraisers are allowed.

Am I the only one that thinks that's a form of child labor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM

3,148 posts, read 5,726,950 times
Unfortunately fundraising activities are needed to supplement the insufficient funds that schools get from the government.

Are they a form of child labor? No.

They are not mandatory. and a child who does decide to do this determines how much time and effort he/she will put into the endeavor.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,734,661 times
I think fundraisers are a good way for kids to learn how to work to obtain some goal. I don't think of it as child labor. I will buy almost any useless thing from a kid doing their own fundraising. However, fundraisers where kids just beg for money irritate me and I never participate.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,118,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll start by clarifying that I grew up in a different country and came to the US when I was a teenager.
Growing up "over there" I never ever heard of any school doing "fundraisers" and sending kids to sell things to raise funds for the school.

I still can't believe that fundraisers are allowed.

Am I the only one that thinks that's a form of child labor?
I think you have the wrong understanding of what these fundraisers are all about. Fundraisers are normally for different groups who could or could not be part of the school system. The football team from a high school might sell candy..certainly not LABOR for those kids who end up eating most of the candy anyhow and the parents have to pay for it. It could be the cheerleaders, the track team, the volleyball team or any other various team who might need to earn cash to take a trip or buy something they want for their team. Sometimes the school band will do a fundraiser to help defray the cost of band uniforms or a band trip. Most of the time, the parents will take the box of candy or cookies or other stuff to work and sell it for the kids. Not very often do you see a kid banging on someones door to sell stuff. The other great place to snag people to buy perhaps a Girl Scout cookie or two is outside of the grocery stores. The kids sit on a chair and ask people to buy cookies while they sit at a table and rake in the cash. Certainly, again not child labor.

Fundraisers teach a child how to work for things they want and they are normally closely supervised by parents, teachers, schools etc. Not a child labor issue at all.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM

13,139 posts, read 31,602,221 times
My experience has been that sometimes it's the kids asking you to buy stuff but often it's parents just bringing in an order form to work. If that's child labor, then it's a pretty cushy job.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM

10,777 posts, read 12,128,963 times
I think that most kids really enjoy participating in fundraisers and those that don't are fine not to do so.

Our kids would probably participate in more of them if we let them!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM

90,351 posts, read 114,753,992 times
I don't particularly like fund-raisers. They usually have kids selling over-priced useless junk, or taking pledges for stupid things like jog-a-thons. I'm OK with kids offering their services such as car washes, baby-sit-a-thons and the like. Of course, the kids have to be older to do that. I think for the younger ages, the schools should just be honest and direct the sales at the parents. Having said all that, I do see the necessity of fund-raising for extra-curriculars. I really have no problems with donation drives, e.g. just asking for money.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM

9,092 posts, read 18,214,069 times
Child Labor? - maybe in the smallest technical definition ...... however, for all intents and purposes absolutely not

I had to do a lot of these growing up - I was in a rural community and it wasn't exactly wealthy

In order to have boy scouts we would do all sorts of fund raising activities - these were usually more focused on community services.

For little league we went door to door with a catalog of merchandise - all of it was pretty decent and at a fair price. One year I sold enough stuff I was able to pick out a prize for myself, a nice swiss army knife

The local kiwanis club sponsored the youth basketball so no fundraising needed - but it was community supported by the adults in the club and their fundraising.

I was in a vocal ensemble and we pretty much asked for donations (tag sale - pretty much accept any donation for a tag that says I support the vocal ensemble)

For Latin Club our big thing was a pizza sale - we would get some of the materials donated and some we would buy in bulk - basically we would solicit sales, use those #s to order materials and then meet at the school cafeteria on a saturday morning and assemble pizza - cheese & peperoni only ....... they were $5 a piece and you could freeze them if you wanted ...... tasted good as well .... we sold a ton of these

We had a lot of regional latin club events that these sales helped fund and I was able to get some money for a trip to Italy due to these sales

Our school also had a school store that would be sponsored by a yearly class that had basic supplies and concessions at sporting events were the same ...... I could work concessions at the football game and earn money to be used for yearbook, class trip, etc.

These fundraisers really allowed us to do things that a school of our means traditionally wouldn't be able to do, as a kid it tought me to work for thigns I desired and helped foster a sense of community

A far cry from having kids to quit school to go work in a factory or even the modern day cases that we had in our school with the farm kids bookending their day with hours of farm labor

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM

17,086 posts, read 12,255,445 times
Fundraisers have gone well beyond kids selling candy bars to pay for extracurriculars. Even in the relatively wealthy district where my kids attend public school, the fundraisers are needed to meet payroll for paraprofessionals.

The only fundraisers in which I participated as a student were for Girl Scouts and my high school band. The amount of guilt now heaped on families of even very young children to raise additional funds for schools is disgusting. I refuse to send my kids out selling junk and just write a large check every fall. It makes me mad, but what can you do?

Last edited by randomparent; 10-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,759,091 times
School fundraisers are a joke. Especially the ones where they're selling garbage like wrapping paper. Very little of the proceeds actually go to the school. I'd rather just cut the school a check for $20 and call it the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education