Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 PM

909 posts, read 545,122 times

Advertisements

Woah I didn't know that it wasn't a cure for this. Are all learning disorders the same way?
https://amp.macon.com/news/local/edu...229984624.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
The only cure for dyslexia is increased effort to overcome what aspects can be overcome and teach alternate learning strategies for those that can't.

Even autism has more progressive therapies.

All learning disabilities respond more and faster the earlier they are detected. Cluing teachers to the signs is a very positive step.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
Woah I didn't know that it wasn't a cure for this. Are all learning disorders the same way?
https://amp.macon.com/news/local/edu...229984624.html
This is a good thing!

No, there is no "cure" for dyslexia.

My youngest was dx'd with dyslexia in Aug. 2018. We had him privately evaluated because the county/state evaluates for an IEP only. And my son fell in to "average range"...so no IEP for him. Paid zero attention to the fact that he's dyslexic. Thankfully his school, a private school, takes private evals seriously and the accommodations recommended by.

He's a mild dyseidetic dyslexic who also has a "touch" of dysphonetic dyslexia (he also has mild APD: auditory processing disorder).

He's had private tutoring every Sat. since Sept. The center he attends uses the Orton-Gillingham approach.

It's expensive @$200/session. He was retested 2 weeks ago and the head of the tutoring center was so excited for him, she personally walked out to my car when I was waiting to pick him up and told me how well he did. We received his evaluation the following Sat. and he's knocking it out of the ball park.

He went from a 2nd grade level/low 3rd grade (he was entering 5th grade at 10 years old when we first had him tested) to a 7th and 8th grade level in some parts of the test. He's still struggling with visual memory and there is another part of the testing that has him at "early to mid 5th grade", when he's approaching the very end of 5th grade.

We're now down to 4 more months of tutoring, when at the start of, we were told that at this point he'd have another full year.

I have to do his "dyslexia" with him (this is what he calls it) 4 nights a week. He has a binder of his "homework". From dot maps to: "say mast"...now say "mast" without the "sss" (mat), and more.

It's not anything other than "retraining" the brain. How it works, I don't understand. But no "strategies" that I know of or have seen.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:14 AM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
Lazy parenting is lazy parenting.

Parent = mentor/hero/saving grace
Teacher = Substitute parent
Substitute teacher = babysitter ( for the most part )
Babysitter = grand parent who is too helpless or abusive teenager who will
mentally/physically scar your kids.....etc
No = babysitter is putting your trust in your kids to fend for yourself.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Lazy parenting is lazy parenting.

Parent = mentor/hero/saving grace
Teacher = Substitute parent
Substitute teacher = babysitter ( for the most part )
Babysitter = grand parent who is too helpless or abusive teenager who will
mentally/physically scar your kids.....etc
No = babysitter is putting your trust in your kids to fend for yourself.
Wrong thread you posted the above on, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education