Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,687,046 times

Advertisements

I'm from China. When I was in high school, students needed to decide their route in the last year: either "arts" or "science". And then they took different "college entrance exams". Needless to say science and engineering departments only admit "science" students, and arts majors sometimes admit a few science students.

I remember there were about 400 students in my grade, and only 40~50 chose the "arts" route. All the others competed on physics, chemistry and so on. (Math was tested for both.)

Even those who chose the "arts" route may not be able to escape from science in college. A friend of mine studied English but her university requires calculus and general physics for all.

I understand the US is a more developed society and it needs more people to be properly trained in social sciences and arts. However, is it really normal that less than 20% students study STEM majors? In graduate school, over 70% engineering students are from foreign countries.

I do believe some policy needs to be made to encourage, or even force, more students to study math and science. For example, cut the "quota" for arts majors, so many who want to go to college have to choose otherwise. Also, do not hire so many professors in arts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
My Indian parents felt liberal arts/social studies/history were 'fluff' subjects - meaning you'd better get an A in it, but it will take you nowhere.

I think it's a pervasive asian attitude.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My Indian parents felt liberal arts/social studies/history were 'fluff' subjects - meaning you'd better get an A in it, but it will take you nowhere.

I think it's a pervasive asian attitude.
I do think they are useful, not just "fluff" subjects. However there are TOO MANY students in them.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 AM

10,022 posts, read 17,928,258 times
Um, in this country we don't FORCE people to study particular subjects in college. I agree that more students should study science and math, but you don't necessarily have to major in those to study them (i.e., take lots of courses in them).

Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, in this country we don't FORCE people to study particular subjects in college. I agree that more students should study science and math, but you don't necessarily have to major in those to study them (i.e., take lots of courses in them).
Obviously i meant "force by policy" not by dictating you.

Just taking a few courses is not a proper training, except you are a genius. The departments also need funding etc.
Few if any people can become a mechanical engineer without majoring it in college. Many courses on mechanics are very boring for any normal person, but you have to endure to succeed.
Learning everything a bit only suits liberal arts.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,773,460 times
Because college kids are not motivated to study the hard stuff these days. Anyone who studies those types of markets should know beforehand that the job market for those degrees blows. I'm sick of Art History majors complaining about not finding a job.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,874,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I'm from China. When I was in high school, students needed to decide their route in the last year: either "arts" or "science". And then they took different "college entrance exams". Needless to say science and engineering departments only admit "science" students, and arts majors sometimes admit a few science students.

I remember there were about 400 students in my grade, and only 40~50 chose the "arts" route. All the others competed on physics, chemistry and so on. (Math was tested for both.)

Even those who chose the "arts" route may not be able to escape from science in college. A friend of mine studied English but her university requires calculus and general physics for all.

I understand the US is a more developed society and it needs more people to be properly trained in social sciences and arts. However, is it really normal that less than 20% students study STEM majors? In graduate school, over 70% engineering students are from foreign countries.

I do believe some policy needs to be made to encourage, or even force, more students to study math and science. For example, cut the "quota" for arts majors, so many who want to go to college have to choose otherwise. Also, do not hire so many professors in arts...
My Hispanic/South American family feels the same way. It didn't one of my cousins from majoring in history but this was 12 years ago when the economy was different.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,447,397 times
I agree I think they are fluff subjects too. I think most of the people who get those kinds of degrees were either genuinely interested in the subject or they wanted an easy degree. A lot of people consider math and science courses to be hard and that only smart people take courses in those subjects. I know people who have degrees in social science/arts and they have the hardest time getting a job. A lot of people dont think of what kind of job they are going to get once they obtain a degree a degree like that. These days its much better if you have a few internships to go along with your degree since internships count as work experience.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Because they are easy classes and don't take a lot of effort to pass. And they are happy maintaining a 2.5 GPA even.
My son is in college and I'm constantly telling him that GPA does matter for that first job. Some corporations won't even look at a GPA under 3.0.

I've done college recruiting. I've collected all those resumes/transcripts. And we created 2 piles to pass on to HR..one pile of 3.0 and above and another pile with all the rest. I can only assume what happened to that pile of "all the rest".

My niece got a 4 year degree in women's studies. She's a receptionist at a daycare center and has been for 3 years now.
Has no desire to go into social work which is probably the area she should go into considering her degree.
She went to college taking classes that interested her; a career track was not really part of her planning.
I do feel sorry for her as she has a lot of student loan debt to pay back but she made her decision and now has to deal with them.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM

10,804 posts, read 14,864,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Because college kids are not motivated to study the hard stuff these days. Anyone who studies those types of markets should know beforehand that the job market for those degrees blows. I'm sick of Art History majors complaining about not finding a job.
There are lots of job openings, like this one and this one or this one, in the US that can not be filled because there is nobody to fill them.

We offer $30/hr, company vehicle, paid holidays/vacations and can not find anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education