U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 AM

3,481 posts, read 5,150,400 times

Advertisements

Here is a good link with practical tips for classroom teachers and other support staff in dealing with students on the spectrum, particularly those with high-functioning Aspergers. Since high-functioning Aspergers students are academically capable they are often very difficult to understand. Many people, including teachers, do not understand how differently these students process verbal, non-verbal, and environmental information. Over the past several years, I have certainly learned a lot as a parent of a child on the spectrum as well as a classroom teacher who has worked with many students on the spectrum. I continue to educate myself as I struggle to better understand how to help my own child develop into a happy, healthy, and independent adult.

My Aspergers Child: Six-Step Plan for Teachers of Aspergers Students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM

1,865 posts, read 2,116,160 times
Thanks for posting this. All who work with PEOPLE should read and learn.

I know one grade school principal here who REALLY needs to read this.

I wish this kind of information had been around when my son was in school. Hell, if I had only known then he had Asperger's, I would be doing what I am doing today - teaching people the truth about this disorder.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM

3,481 posts, read 5,150,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Thanks for posting this. All who work with PEOPLE should read and learn.

I know one grade school principal here who REALLY needs to read this.

I wish this kind of information had been around when my son was in school. Hell, if I had only known then he had Asperger's, I would be doing what I am doing today - teaching people the truth about this disorder.
I've been teaching for nearly 20 years and have had several students that would be classified as being on the spectrum today. It has only been the last 5 years that many have had formal IEPs with an ASD diagnosis. It is a difficult process to get a child formally identified and many schools avoid discussions that imply it is suspected because of expensive testing and services they would be obligated to provide. Many parents are truly at a loss in understanding that their child has an ASD and there are services available that may significantly help them and their child.

Even with knowledge, experience, and evidence it me took several years to get a professional diagnosis for my daughter because far less is known and understood regarding girls with Aspergers than with boys because their behaviors often look different.

Despite the recent increase in awareness of ASD, many parents, schools, and doctors still have a lot to learn. Informed and educated parents of children on the spectrum are often the most knowledgeable sources of helpful information.

What is clear to me, as a parent and a teacher, is that the structure of school needs to be flexible enough to provide reasonable accommodations for children with spectrum disorders as well as others that are not able to reach their potential due to structural and environmental factors.

A simple accommodation such as having 5 or 10 mins between classes instead of 2 can make a huge difference for many students. However, in many schools there is no realistic way to implement that accommodation since the day is orchestrated to function with minimal transit times. One possible solution could be to build in regular breaks and movement throughout the day where all students could have the opportunity to use the restroom, get a drink, have a snack, talk to a friend, go for a walk, etc. This would be a healthier and less stressful option for all involved if put together thoughtfully. It would probably result in less time wasted in the classroom dealing with problems related to an overly inflexible and restrictive schedule of movement.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 12-12-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Luckily, we have great resources in the area I live in and I understand, as I have a son and a daughter that have been diagnosed with it. Here are some things we have here: Jowonio School

CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America

THE CENTER ON HUMAN POLICY

Jowonio School

Syracuse Autism Developmental Evaluation Center Margaret L. Williams

Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

This is the program they are in: Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM

24,000 posts, read 32,840,016 times
There definitely needs to be more awareness of it. My parents suspected something was 'off' with me from early childhood but they were told I was just 'eccentric' or 'unique'; I was not diagnosed with Asperger's until I was an adult. By then I'd developed coping mechanisms to survive in the 'normal' world but I'm sure I would have been far better off if it had been caught early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or