Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM

588 posts, read 795,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
From the School Shooting in Newtown thread: School Shooting in Newtown

I have been thinking. With the current advances in internet content delivery. There is no reason not to demand that children home school until driving age. I know there are many issues surrounding how we can make it work. But, I just don't think kids should be going to public schools any more until they are older and better able to protect themselves through good decision making. This would also help keep kids off drugs and alcohol.
Do you think that closing all elementary and middle schools is more draconian than instituting gun control measures similar to those in the UK or Canada?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Can you explain? Many people *want* to send their kids to private schools that use home schooling methods more than public schools and those kids tend to turn out much better. That's not to say the people in public schools are all bad. But, if people take an interest in their kids and that tends to make for better behaved children why not let them?
Care to cite a source for that?

Private school kids turn out much better?? And how do you define "better"?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,554,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Do you think that closing all elementary and middle schools is more draconian than instituting gun control measures similar to those in the UK or Canada?
That's a loaded question. The question infers that elementary and middle schools are *the best* educational method. I think information delivery for education that's not done in today's brick and mortor setting is much better.

Guns aren't the issue. The issue is why someone decides to kill people.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:

I have been thinking. With the current advances in internet content delivery. There is no reason not to demand that children home school until driving age. I know there are many issues surrounding how we can make it work. But, I just don't think kids should be going to public schools any more until they are older and better able to protect themselves through good decision making. This would also help keep kids off drugs and alcohol.
This is why politicians should not write laws immediately after tragedies -- they lead to knee-jerk "solutions" that are in some cases (as in the case of this poster's idea) ludicrous.

Today's events are absolutely horrific. I've been watching much of the day and at times have been reduced to tears. But to suggest that something bizarre and incredibly unusual like this should make parents keep their kids home until they are driving age ... that is just, sorry OP, stupid.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
That's a loaded question. The question infers that elementary and middle schools are *the best* educational method. I think information delivery for education that's not done in today's brick and mortor setting is much better.

Guns aren't the issue. The issue is why someone decides to kill people.
The question might IMPLY or SUGGEST that, but that is debatable.

Of course guns are the issue. But your solution is to keep kids home until they are, what, 16?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times
Home schooling is a rational response to living in a society that is dangerous to children on many levels - moral, spiritual, and even physical. Home schoolers are not locked in their homes all day. Typically they are more involved in the greater community than their public schooled peers. But they are not sitting targets for anyone.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:

I have been thinking. With the current advances in internet content delivery. There is no reason not to demand that children home school until driving age. I know there are many issues surrounding how we can make it work. But, I just don't think kids should be going to public schools any more until they are older and better able to protect themselves through good decision making.
Yeah...maybe not.
Connecticut Man Guilty of Home Invasion Murders | Fox News

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And how do you define "better"?
I'm still wanting to know why you think that someone (like myself) who would prefer kids not be exposed to the idiocy of today's schools should not have kids. Are you implying that people should all surrender their children to the system?

The "better" question sure is a good one. Well (off the cuff) I define better to be kids who have been taught their morals and virtues by adults who are genuinely interested in *each* child's best interest. But, that definition doesn't exclude adults who are teachers.

I don't think though that teachers *need* to be so *close* to children. They can be a source of education without being a daily "in person" influence in a child's life. Now, sometimes there are situations where the *best* influence in a childs life is their teacher because their parent(s) don't take an active role in the child's life. But, that's an issue that isn't a part of the education delivery system. The proof for that is a teacher should not single out children and the homelife during the information delivery process.

As an example, a teacher should not say in class "Today we're gonna' learn about kids that grow up with a mother that is a drug abuser, just like Johnny's mom." That's something that should be handled as an aside to the education delivery system. It's something that I'm not really discussing here. Even though it's very related it should be handled in a *personal* setting not a *public* setting.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is why...
Well, first I didn't just start thinking about this today and tragedy isn't the only reason for my idea. So, I would agree with you that making such a change based solely on what happened would not be wise. But, I'm making my decisions based on more information that that.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Of course guns are the issue.

But your solution is to keep kids home until they are, what, 16?
Guns are *not* the issue, it's people's behavior. I've never once heard about someone's gun leaving the house and killing someone on it's own.

I'm not saying we keep kids home. I'm saying we engage an alternate system that prevents children from being exposed to the behavior destroying influences of today's schools. Then at driving age they can go off to school where expensive equipment and other things that they didn't have at home can be experienced.

Kids can still have lives outside the home. Sports and other activities can still be enjoyed. Which would provide the social education needed. But, congregating in a building that has drug and alcohol and other abusive behaviors at a young age puts children at a disadvantage for attaining better results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.