Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,425,775 times

Advertisements

in the most efficient way, that is.

- books give logic (grammar) and visual representation but not the sound.
- some say sound immersion via CDs, MP3s first, before using books, is best

Which way did you do?
What books/textbooks did you prefer?
What audio systems did you prefer?
Did you try free downloads?

Listening to all and any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 01:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,064,478 times
It depends on your learning style. I like the FSI course, but most people find it exceedingly boring. Watching Taiwanese TV has also helped tremendously.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,694,529 times
Grammar is always important for any beginners, unless you just want to learn how to order food.
Listening can only help when (1) you are learning the basic pronunciations, and (2) after you reach some level of grammar and vocabulary.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,122,323 times
Do you like to sing? That helps in Chinese root languages.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It depends on your learning style. I like the FSI course, but most people find it exceedingly boring. Watching Taiwanese TV has also helped tremendously.
I guess I'm like you - love FSI course in all its boredom. Need their style of structured approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Grammar is always important for any beginners, unless you just want to learn how to order food.
Listening can only help when (1) you are learning the basic pronunciations, and (2) after you reach some level of grammar and vocabulary.
Thought exactly like this all my life, until decided to learn Mandarin. Looked at Pinyin method of sound representation - understood that I must listen to the sounds first. No book can explain the 4 tones (when the same word could mean 4 different things depending on the tone).

Downloaded Pimsleur three parts, will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do you like to sing? That helps in Chinese root languages.
No, I don't like to sing, but will do if needed. I am better in "impersonating" sounds, sort of playing a role.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM

But I find it fascinating that there are much less grammar than in European languages.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
think hard about this one friend
america is filled with ambition but it stops at the keyboard. most americans dont even speak spanish much less a tough language like chinese but that does not stop the ego from racing that says i will pick up a few used books and speak fluent chinese in a jiffy.
the arduous long and painful path to language acquisition is in its nature offensive to the average american kidult xbox couch potato.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
think hard about this one friend
america is filled with ambition but it stops at the keyboard. most americans dont even speak spanish much less a tough language like chinese but that does not stop the ego from racing that says i will pick up a few used books and speak fluent chinese in a jiffy.
the arduous long and painful path to language acquisition is in its nature offensive to the average american kidult xbox couch potato.
Merry Christmas to you, Huck, too!!!

Been impersonating English for the last NN years anyway The skill is there, alongside with the ambition.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,603,183 times
Get started here, this is where you can get ALL of your questions answered about getting started in Chinese - go to Chinese Forums:

Chinese-forums.com

Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Get started here, this is where you can get ALL of your questions answered about getting started in Chinese - go to Chinese Forums:

Chinese-forums.com
Thank you! This will take some time to go over. Good resources, including listening - radio, TV.

Found (probably pretty basic, but oh so needed for a beginner) : Chinese Lessons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education