Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike.

Texas school can force teenager to wear locator chip -judge | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
I saw this a few days ago and, initially, I thought, "What's the big deal?" This sentence, however, I found very convincing:

Quote:
"We don't want to see this kind of intrusive surveillance infrastructure gain inroads into our culture,"

Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
This tells kids they are not responsible for their own actions. The computer chip allows the administration to keep an eye on them and they won't have to deal with the kids unless they transgress the rules.

The kids will be nothing but Clockwork Oranges and the school won't have to teach them a thing, only punish them when they step out of line.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I saw this a few days ago and, initially, I thought, "What's the big deal?" This sentence, however, I found very convincing:
Exactly. We are becoming a surveillance society and are pretty meek about it. We are becoming nothing more than sheep.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Man, sometimes it feels this country is getting more Orwellian each and every day.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Man, sometimes it feels this country is getting more Orwellian each and every day.
Especially as we phase out teaching Orwell.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Especially as we phase out teaching Orwell.
And how do you feel about what's being phased in at the Texas school?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 84,392 times
Can someone explain the privacy issue here, because I honestly don't see it?

It is not easy to find students in large high schools like John Jay High School, which has 2,945 students. My son's last high school had almost 2,300 students, with three floors, and several portable trailers. While we can reasonably expect the majority of 14-18 year old students to be where they are supposed to be, a significant percentage of 14-18 year old students aren't where they are supposed to be for a million different reasons. I've also learned not to expect teachers to document attendance correctly or be able to identify my kids from the the other quiet kids in their classes. Half of my DD's teachers did not document her absence correctly, even though she was sick with the flu for two days. Three of my son's 9th grade teachers couldn't differentiate him from students named Nick, Tony, and Oscar, even though my son didn't know Oscar and none of the boys are of any blood relation.

When the teachers can't document attendance correctly or differentiate between their students, and nothing can be done to lighten their workloads so that they can do those tasks better, a student's right to NOT have his/her whereabouts within the school building sounds ridiculous and overblown.

While it's true that the cards have nothing to do with teaching and improving education, those cards do have everything to do with the funding and attendance. Large public schools with limited local funding, like Jay High School and my kids' former schools, rely heavily on state and federal funding, which is partially based on student attendance. The state and federal government will not pay for students who are not in school, so the schools lose funding for the next year's budget when students are incorrectly documented as absent. Schools cannot operate well without adequate funding. NISD district estimated that the better attendance tracking would bring in about $1.5 million in lost funding. Funding affords things like teacher pay, computers in the classroom, new copies of 1984 and Animal Farm to replace the ones that were damaged or lost the previous year, infrastructure repairs, chairs, and copy and toilet paper. All those little things that can help make classrooms run better.

And if teachers can't teach because students aren't attending... Why wouldn't we want their administrators to do everything possible to locate and redirect students to the classes that they're supposed to attend?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
Default OK for parking lots but not in my bedroom ! ~♥~

Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshoes View Post
Can someone explain the privacy issue here, because I honestly don't see it?
I don't see it as a privacy issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshoes View Post
Why wouldn't we want their administrators to do everything possible to locate and redirect students to the classes that they're supposed to attend?
(emphasis added)

Because the students have to take responsibility for their actions. A student aged 14-18 who should be in Algebra or in English, should be there. If they are absent they have to make up the work. If they don't have an excuse for being absent they get a detention or a suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education