Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

OK, preaching to the choir here but I'm mad as he!!. Again. Our school is hosting the regional debate tourney this weekend and the poor teacher has had to badger and cajole to get volunteers to come in and help with various tasks such as judging and snack service. Our janitors are always indifferent to cleanliness anyway but you'd think admin could lean on them to at least sweep the crumbs off the stairs when we know we'll have that many guests all over the building. Also, whenever there is a sports event, the workers always get paid. Always. It's not much but it encourages participation but what do they care about debate? Ugh, had to vent. These kids are hella smart and need some encouragement, esp at our rough and rowdy school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Maybe you could suggest this as a debate subject between the faculty/debate students and the administration: "Should sports events get preferential services that academic events do not get?"

I'd like to see it, anyway.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Whether it is sports or debate it stinks that the kids spend so much time preparing for something and get no support for their efforts. Our wrestling team is our school's forgotten team.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe you could suggest this as a debate subject between the faculty/debate students and the administration: "Should sports events get preferential services that academic events do not get?"

LOL, love it I think those guys would know better than to get in a debate with our team!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

That sounds like a wonderful idea! Even a scathing editorial in the school newspaper and/or a few letters to the editor in your local newspaper may help change the situation. Do you have a few powerful and vocal parents that may need to be (quietly) made aware of the difference in treatment between activities?

Maybe it is common now, but I was pleased to learn that academic and other non-sport activities such as band, high honor roll, forensics and debate could now also earn "letters" at my children's HS. A few band/forensics/debate/etc students even wear lettermen's jackets with their letters and pins just like the "jocks".

My children's high school also has a March of Champions whenever a team wins some type of big state or other competition. The school mascot and administration leads a parade through all of the HS hallways with the winning team. They announce all the team members and all awards and the play "championship type music" The entire student body leaves their classrooms to cheer everyone in the march. They do this for all teams and activities, both big and small, sports and nonsports events. It is great.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My children's high school also has a March of Champions whenever a team wins some type of big state or other competition. The school mascot and administration leads a parade through all of the HS hallways with the winning team. They announce all the team members and all awards and the play "championship type music" The entire student body leaves their classrooms to cheer everyone in the march. They do this for all teams and activities, both big and small, sports and nonsports events. It is great.
I love that idea and will pass it on.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM

137 posts, read 248,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Whether it is sports or debate it stinks that the kids spend so much time preparing for something and get no support for their efforts. Our wrestling team is our school's forgotten team.
Our wrestling team is definitely not a forgotten team. To go back to the OP, it is sad that the debate team is overlooked. I think a scathing editorial, as has been suggested, would do wonders.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Stepka, are there any local celebs who were debate team members? I'd look among the politicians, lawyers, and judges first. Maybe someone would be willing to write that (guest) editorial - a sort of "what debate did to help my career".

Or a feature: former debate team members and where they are now.

This might make some folks sit up and take notice:

http://www.capitoldebate.com/wp-cont...rsResearch.pdf

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-19-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Have you had and debaters get full ride, or substantial scholarships for debate? If so, market the heck out of that. Win the state Championship and have a parade through town. Force them to recognize the accomplishments of your team. Get the paper to interview on of the team members after each major win. Have them describe their future plans and how debate helps them.

Just like sports, it is all about winning. Bring home a few state or national championships and get some positive attention for your school/town and things will change. Football teams that never win, do nto get much attention/funding etc. If you want better service and funding, win win win and bring a lot of attention to your hometown/school It makes all the difference.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 PM

My dd won first place in dramatic interp and brought home a big trophy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education