U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,310,456 times

Advertisements

I think the respondents are being harsh and impractical. Yes, he made a mistake but does that equate being expelled from school and having his life ruined simply because he forgot to remove his gun from the backseat of his truck? Especially when the officials in this case know the student's background and that he hunts. It's not like he went into the school brandishing the weapon. I think a student's overall record should be examined before deciding upon expulsion. His intent, grades, character, previous if any disciplinary action should all be weighed into this decision before deciding to ruin a kids life for an innocent mistake.

And I'll be honest, some of the respondents are real judgmental a-holes and I really hope they suffer the same attitude they are providing and get the book thrown at them for committing a careless mistake.

The OP should hire an attorney AND report this story to the local television media as they will likely publish this story and arouse sympathizers, and put pressure on the school officials by embarrassing them and exposing their impractical action. Send this to national news outlets as well such as Fox News outlets like O'reilly, Hannity and even CNN with Erin Burnett as this case is a clear example of how common sense and wisdom has been lost in the war on guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM

12,665 posts, read 18,899,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think the respondents are being harsh and impractical. Yes, he made a mistake but does that equate being expelled from school and having his life ruined simply because he forgot to remove his gun from the backseat of his truck? Especially when the officials in this case know the student's background and that he hunts. It's not like he went into the school brandishing the weapon. I think a student's overall record should be examined before deciding upon expulsion. His intent, grades, character, previous if any disciplinary action should all be weighed into this decision before deciding to ruin a kids life for an innocent mistake.

And I'll be honest, some of the respondents are real judgmental a-holes and I really hope they suffer the same attitude they are providing and get the book thrown at them for committing a careless mistake.

The OP should hire an attorney AND report this story to the local television media as they will likely publish this story and arouse sympathizers, and put pressure on the school officials by embarrassing them and exposing their impractical action. Send this to national news outlets as well such as Fox News outlets like O'reilly, Hannity and even CNN with Erin Burnett as this case is a clear example of how common sense and wisdom has been lost in the war on guns.
Sorry. I have three sons, and heaven knows they have done some dumb things. But, certain mistakes are more serious than others, and this qualifies as one of the most egregious. If the boy's IEP situation warrants excusing his carelessness, then why in the world is he considered capable of handling a gun?

I look at this the same way I look at the 150+ people who were arrested at the Atlanta airport this past year, because they "forgot" they had guns in their carry-ons. If you can't remember where your gun is, then you shouldn't have one.

OP, I do sympathize, as a fellow mother. But, I think this deserves more than a slap on the wrist.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM

29 posts, read 40,283 times
I don't understand why everyone thinks I only want my son the get a slap on he wrist. I have never said that. Maybe everyone should read all my comments before making their own comments. I have acknowledged that my son and I both make mistakes here and will have to face the consequences. My concern is him getting an education, wherever that has to be.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,893,086 times
If he goes to the alternative school be very proactive about getting teachers to send him work. The alternative schools always claim they will get work from the home campus but a lot of times the teachers are too busy to send work. Consider hiring a tutor for this time because alt school teachers just babysit.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM

12,700 posts, read 12,499,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGINNIS2000 View Post
We are trying to get a lawyer but money is an issue. The issue with private school is I don't know if he can do it academically. My nephews go to the only one in our town and it is tough and does not accomodate special needs.
Personally I believe you'd be wasting your money by hiring a lawyer. Also, there are public alternative schools that provide special education. Your son's school district should be providing you with that information. You shouldn't need to pay tuition at a private school.

School districts are able to expel students for a variety of reasons (possession of a firearm, possession or sale of drugs, assault, etc) and in some cases the student can do community service, work with a probation officer, and return to that school district. In other cases, the school district will not allow the student to return and no attorney will be able to change that, unless h/she can prove other circumstances, such as discrimination (doubtful).

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM

12,665 posts, read 18,899,588 times
Quote:
I don't understand why everyone thinks I only want my son the get a slap on he wrist. I have never said that. Maybe everyone should read all my comments before making their own comments. I have acknowledged that my son and I both make mistakes here and will have to face the consequences. My concern is him getting an education, wherever that has to be.
I wasn't directing my slap on the wrist comment to you, but to Azriverfan. You honestly have my sympathy. As I said, I've raised 3 sons, one with an IEP, and luck has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Luckily he is in alternative school which is in his school he was already attending. You just go in through a separate door. Since he is special ed, he was in inclusion classes which means there are two teachers. It has only been two days but so far both days, one of the teachers from each of his classes have personally brought him his work. One of the Math teachers even came and sat with him today and explained the Math to him. It is also in his IEP that he can bring work home if he doesn't finish it. I don't want to sound like I am bragging, but I can help him with whatever he brings home. Math always came easy to me. Even if he does get expelled, I would like to at least get him through this year as a homebound student so he doesn't lose his credits. We may choose something different next year if expulsion is into next year. So far in high school he has not failed any classes so I would like to keep him on track to graduate in 2014.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,893,086 times
You are really in good shape over there. Here in Texas the alternative schools are babysitting services. If the parents manage to get the kid out of jail with bail $$$ then the kid is in pretty bad shape the first week or so they end up sleeping the whole time in alt school. Actually that is all they do is sleep on desks for three weeks. Moral of the story don't go to Texas!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM

My son is ADHD and he actually told me today that his grades might even come up. He said it is really quiet in there and he can concentrate on his work.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,612,764 times
Quote:
Then I advise you to work on that. Certainly, no child never makes a mistake, but the one your son made was major. Part of an education is being aware of the basic requirements of living in a civilized society. As a person with a disability, I have little tolerance for those who break social mores and want to be cut a break because they are disabled. ADHD is NO excuse. Sorry, just won't fly in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or