U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM

29 posts, read 41,219 times

Advertisements

Once again, I repeat. I never said anything was an excuse. I just want him to get an education. He will face whatever consequences are handed to him and we will get through it as a family. He is also facing consequences at home. I by no means think what he did was okay. I think all children (whether disabled or not), should be given the opportunity for an education. Whether it be in alternative school or wherever. Actually, ADHD is not even why he is special ed. I was just mentioning the ADHD because he said he could concentrate better in the alternative school because it is so quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,556,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGINNIS2000 View Post
Once again, I repeat. I never said anything was an excuse. I just want him to get an education. He will face whatever consequences are handed to him and we will get through it as a family. He is also facing consequences at home. I by no means think what he did was okay. I think all children (whether disabled or not), should be given the opportunity for an education. Whether it be in alternative school or wherever. Actually, ADHD is not even why he is special ed. I was just mentioning the ADHD because he said he could concentrate better in the alternative school because it is so quiet.
Don't waste your time trying to get some people to pay attention to what you have actually said. There are those that see what they want to see, pontificate, and move on. You have explained the situation adequately already.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM

387 posts, read 500,812 times
Quote:
Luckily he is in alternative school which is in his school he was already attending. You just go in through a separate door. Since he is special ed, he was in inclusion classes which means there are two teachers. It has only been two days but so far both days, one of the teachers from each of his classes have personally brought him his work. One of the Math teachers even came and sat with him today and explained the Math to him. It is also in his IEP that he can bring work home if he doesn't finish it. I don't want to sound like I am bragging, but I can help him with whatever he brings home. Math always came easy to me. Even if he does get expelled, I would like to at least get him through this year as a homebound student so he doesn't lose his credits. We may choose something different next year if expulsion is into next year. So far in high school he has not failed any classes so I would like to keep him on track to graduate in 2014.
Since your son is older, most likely can work and/or read on his own, and you are willing to take over educating him, can you home-school him to the point where he can graduate or get his GED?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

29 posts, read 41,219 times
I will do whatever I have to do. I work full time (plus some) but I have a supportive family that will help too. Believe me, HE WILL GET AN EDUCATION.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times
We are praying for your son and for your family right now, hoping for a solution, Mcginnis2000!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,589,615 times
Quote:
I will do whatever I have to do. I work full time (plus some) but I have a supportive family that will help too. Believe me, HE WILL GET AN EDUCATION.
I would strongly suggest then that you look into a private schooling before home schooling. Home schooling is a full time job in itself, and it will ultimately by cheaper for you to go the private school route before home schooling (when you factor in the value of your own time).

Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,980,833 times
Ignore the We Shall Judge You types. The United States is really full of those who want to judge, judge, judge. I encourage you and your son to really get through the Alt School as good as you all can do and get back into the regular school as fast as you can.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,438,244 times
Quote:
My son is ADHD and he actually told me today that his grades might even come up. He said it is really quiet in there and he can concentrate on his work.
You are fortunate he has an alternative school program right there, and as you, and him, are seeing, it may just prove to be the right thing for him. Again, my son's situation wasn't quite the same, but with his threat of being expelled the school district placed him at a different middle school. When the first thought of that came up I could not imagine how he would survive it as his anchor had been his peer group from many years. Turned out switching schools was the BEST thing to happen to him. The environment was so much more conducive to learning. I felt like Briar Rabbit who begged not to be thrown into the briar patch because that exactly where he wanted to be.

Best of luck to you. As you have said, he will get an education, and be stronger for all of this happening.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,980,833 times
Quote:
Turned out switching schools was the BEST thing to happen to him. The environment was so much more conducive to learning.
That is what I should have done with my 17 year old who almost got thrown out. But my mother just felt sorry for him and pressured me not to put him in a different school and I caved in. He got worse because of his idiotic peer group there. Then his 17 year old friend who almost also got thrown out went away to a different school and he got better.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,197,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Because this stems from federal law, rather than state law, do not count on the IEP providing protection.
IDEA is also federal law, so the OP should carefully examine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or