U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,628,957 times

Advertisements

I thought it was in my daily paper that the school decided to let it go. I'm so sorry it was a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,985,539 times
What daily paper? So the newspapers said one thing and the school board said another? It's amazing how a school board is forced to take away an education. Can he do distance learning, online school, something like that? Apply to community college and get started on an associate degree?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM

4,533 posts, read 5,065,693 times
Our country has gone insane.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM

5,414 posts, read 9,573,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
What daily paper? So the newspapers said one thing and the school board said another? It's amazing how a school board is forced to take away an education. Can he do distance learning, online school, something like that? Apply to community college and get started on an associate degree?
Did you not read the response? He is getting homebound instruction and will be eligible to return to school before he graduates.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM

But homebound instruction is very limited. It's just you and the worksheets for the rest of the time. That's not what I call an education. And when he returns to school that's only a semester left. A lot of isolation for a year. I don't know about you but that is so stratospherically severe for punishment. I think I would have tried other options like going to a community college and not return to public schools where they are more and more notorious for punishing such young kids for things that 20 years ago would get a talking to in the principals office at worst. In fact when I was in public schools 20 years ago, they didn't pay attention to kids pretending a piece of bread was a gun and they didn't look in parking lots for hunting guns, but they did give you detention if you didn't turn in homework on the due date. If you drew on the walls they made you scrub it down good. Now they don't care if you turn in homework at all but they are quick about expelling you for anything to do with the g word.

Last edited by zhugeliang1; 03-04-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM

29 posts, read 41,270 times
To be honest, I was a little leary of the Hombound instruction too but so far I have been quite pleased. A teacher comes to the house twice a week and brings him work, helps him with what he doesn't understand, and administers his tests. We may not do this his senior year because I do feel like he would be isolated but I wanted him to try and finish his Junior year this way. We were so far into the year and so close to geting his junior year credits.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Well if that's what you want then that's what you want but I've been involved in homebound special ed and it's really minimal education. Just reading riting rithmetic that's it. You can't do senior year stuff with this minimal education, like what if he wanted to take something like AP classes, woodshop, something like that.

Really this country has gone absolutely insane, your situation is absolute proof of this kind of We Shall Judge Your Kids attitude in US education. I don't think they do this in Canada, throw kids out for a first time idiotic thing. THEY ARE STILL KIDS!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 41,270 times
Update - Although my son did miss out on some school activities, he is returning to school February 13th and will graduate in May with his class. It has definitely been a life lesson for him. The homebound education was not perfect by any means but it worked to get all his credits. The biggest thing that made it work was being an involved parent. The homebound started out a little slow but once they knew I was going to be involved and ask a million questions, things really improved.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,788,893 times
Thanks for the update... and I am glad he will graduate with his class!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGINNIS2000 View Post
Update - Although my son did miss out on some school activities, he is returning to school February 13th and will graduate in May with his class. It has definitely been a life lesson for him. The homebound education was not perfect by any means but it worked to get all his credits. The biggest thing that made it work was being an involved parent. The homebound started out a little slow but once they knew I was going to be involved and ask a million questions, things really improved.
Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that things are moving forward for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or