U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM

7,813 posts, read 9,419,352 times

Advertisements

This article was in the AJC today. I wonder if the teachers are the proper recipients for this message. it seems to me it should be sent to parents and administrators. My sons all had a fairly easy transition to college, and I know several of these suggestions were in place at their high schools:

What college students want to tell their high school teachers: Be tougher on us. Force us to be responsible. | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

10,155 posts, read 11,617,357 times
I do think the message is misdirected. I do not think that teachers would be so accommodating if they were not pressured to do so by administrators. In turn, administrators are pressured by parents.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM

837 posts, read 602,705 times
I loved it. I'm a freshman in college and definitely agree for the most part. Thankfully, I had a few amazing teachers my senior year that helped prepare me!

As far as to whom it should be directed to, I would say parents, admins, and teachers should all see this FWIW.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM

10,285 posts, read 7,811,911 times
Teachers have no control over much of this.

Most high school teachers want to hold students accountable, but the administrators often don't allow it. Look at Ivory's posts about make-up tests and cell phones and plagiarism.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM

9,384 posts, read 5,714,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This article was in the AJC today. I wonder if the teachers are the proper recipients for this message. it seems to me it should be sent to parents and administrators. My sons all had a fairly easy transition to college, and I know several of these suggestions were in place at their high schools:

What college students want to tell their high school teachers: Be tougher on us. Force us to be responsible. | Get Schooled
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I just passed it on to my district.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM

9,384 posts, read 5,714,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Teachers have no control over much of this.

Most high school teachers want to hold students accountable, but the administrators often don't allow it. Look at Ivory's posts about make-up tests and cell phones and plagiarism.
Ok so leave out the tests (and btw, most schools will re-examine policy if teacher go to the trouble to back up their requests with mounds of support via real data).

1. Every teacher CAN give a syllabus. Hell, some of them have to. It wouldn't work in my class but most classes it would.

2. I am assuming they mean don't tell us what we will be DOING. Ok, easily done. Personally, while I don't use a syllabus I post assignments online and then do not give reminders.

3. Almost all schools have very clear policies about late work. Things along the lines of 10% off a day every day it is late. Are there actually high schools that do not have a clear BOW approved late work policy?

4. Again, what high school does NOT have an academic integrity policy? Geez, I am known far an wide for being a NUT about this. Its even in my "rate my teacher" comments.

5. Again, don't most schools have policies outlining how much each type of work is worth? In my one knowledge based class exams are 70% of their grade. We start out at 50% freshman year and work our way up.

6. This one gets harder. Many schools are now incorporating common assessments. That being said my kids still know I write tests that allow them to demonstrate proficiency pretty straight forwardly, but it is very hard to get over middling A. No one is getting a high A in my class without doing all the reading, in detail.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 2,816,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do think the message is misdirected. I do not think that teachers would be so accommodating if they were not pressured to do so by administrators. In turn, administrators are pressured by parents.
Bingo

Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 PM

473 posts, read 665,295 times
I WISH I could have these standards in my classroom. When I try to implement the things in this article, I am criticized for "expecting too much." One of the many reasons I left my last teaching job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education