Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

My dd is having some issues with math this year. I sent her teacher an email about my concern, and also asked if she had suggestions on where I might find a tutor. They have afterschool help once a week where kids can meet with their teachers if they need extra help. I asked about that too. Never heard back. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I guess they don't know either.

In my school, the teacher brought bad students to their home after school for free... I suppose no one does that now.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I wouldn't be offended at the question. I would be upset that the teacher didn't respond. In my system teachers may not tutor any student in their home school for pay.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
I just thought they might have teacher friends who might be available for tutoring. We don't even know for sure if dd needs tutoring. She did awful on a recent test and often needs help doing her homework, so we figure we should look into this now rather than later

Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I'll do it!

Actually, our school office keeps a list of teachers who tutor. We can tutor students from our own school, but not our own class. We can't tutor at school for pay.

How long has it been since you emailed?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
I'm not offended at all when a parent asks. On the other hand, I worry about upsetting parents when I recommend a tutor (several times parents have responded that I'm not doing my job if their child needs tutoring). I always offer my after school "office hours" if their child is available to stay on that day(s) as well. Sometimes that's all it takes to keep up, other times a little more intensive help is needed.

We keep a tutor list on file in the main office--I might try contacting them directly.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
In 7th grade my son started to fall behind in Math, His 6th Grade Math Teacher at that time did Tutoring for 'Education' Tutoring company. Middle school had a 'partership' with the tutoring company.

That I went Thru, They wanted to assign him to a different teacher. But I said NO it Mrs X or forget it. They seem to want to put him in a group tutoring with 2 other students and 1 teacher .

(My son has a IEP, and it take some time for him to 'warm' up to the teachers, and for the teacher to figure out how to teach my son.) I could not spend the time/money for him/them to 'get it'. His 6th (and later she had him for 8th also). Teacher, was Teacher of the year for the county. Why would I want someone else.

He moved school mid freshman year in HS, and I re-engaged her (Paying her directly) to Tutor him in HS/9th grade also.

He was like... She can't Tutor me she's a Middle school teacher, I'm in High School now. I said she's teacher of the year, she can teach/help you with High School Math also. (Turned out her daughter is in my Son's Class in HS.)

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Our schools all have lists of tutors, some of them current teachers, and some recently retired ones. I would suggest calling the school secretary and see if she can recommend someone for you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
The teacher should not be offended at all. Call the school counselor for reccomendations. Many school districts will not allow teachers to tutor their own students for money and the teacher may be worried that if she even gives you a recommendation she'd be violating the rules.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
My dd is having some issues with math this year. I sent her teacher an email about my concern, and also asked if she had suggestions on where I might find a tutor. They have afterschool help once a week where kids can meet with their teachers if they need extra help. I asked about that too. Never heard back. Thoughts?
I'm not offended when parents ask. I just wonder why they think I keep a list of tutors. I don't. The last time I looked for a tutor, it was for my own child but I never thought to ask her teacher other than to ask if her teacher offered any extra tutoring sessions (she didn't). I ended up putting her in Sylvan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education