Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It doesn't happen. MD State Department of Education has not been shy in denying diplomas to students (MD education is top down, localities have very little control over curriculum or testing). Some parents tried a couple decades ago with our first iteration of exit exams. Some examples were made in the Court system, everyone else fell into line.
Right, but what about these state tests that are taken in grades 3-8 that are not exit/graduation exams? That's the point I'm making. These tests have no bearing on a student's future whatsoever and they're not used to decided if a student should be retained. If mass amounts of students/families refuse to take these tests, I'm not sure that the states can do anything...or I should say that most of their options are unpalatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Right, but what about these state tests that are taken in grades 3-8 that are not exit/graduation exams? That's the point I'm making. These tests have no bearing on a student's future whatsoever and they're not used to decided if a student should be retained. If mass amounts of students/families refuse to take these tests, I'm not sure that the states can do anything...or I should say that most of their options are unpalatable.
Same thing happened. Examples were made.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
The ironic things is No Child Left Behind is the product of bipartisanship and an example of what can be achieved when both sides of the isle come together.

Senator Kennedy said it is his legacy and President Bush said we can all take pride in working together to make it a reality.

Maybe the moral is to be careful what you wish for... especially when it comes to politics.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Same thing happened. Examples were made.
Interesting. I still think that if a critical mass were reached, it would be hard for those in authority to do much of anything in response.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Interesting. I still think that if a critical mass were reached, it would be hard for those in authority to do much of anything in response.
You're correct but critical mass won't be reached in most cases. The reason being is that "everyone" knows that public schools today are ****ty and the only way to "fix" them is to have "accountability".

Keep in mind that education is just about the only job that the people who actually do the job, teachers, aren't recognized as experts in it.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You're correct but critical mass won't be reached in most cases. The reason being is that "everyone" knows that public schools today are ****ty and the only way to "fix" them is to have "accountability".

Keep in mind that education is just about the only job that the people who actually do the job, teachers, aren't recognized as experts in it.
You're preaching to the choir. Rather than teachers unions, perhaps educators need to have a respected professional organization that is analogous to the AMA or ABA that is influential in all matters regarding education policy (and incidentally less involved in other non-educational political matters).

Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Because it would take coordination and effort. That will not happen.
Complaining and waiting for someone else to fix it is reality.

One year we had a death in the family and had to fly out of town.
It was during Texas state test week.

The grief I got when I told school he would not be there.
They actually asked if the funeral could be changed !
This was 5th grade I think..we're talking about 2002/2003 timeframe.

I had to bring back a boatload of "official" papers proving we went to a funeral.
This was one test that didn't count for promotion.

For every kid that doesn't take the test the Fed comes down hard on the schools.
There's no carrots in NCLB..it's all sticks, punishments and withholding of money.

The kids themselves are pawns in a political game.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
So why did it become law and celebrated as an example of what can be achieved when politics is put aside?

My dad left education before I was born... even then he became disenfranchised because it was more about the process than the students...

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
So why did it become law and celebrated as an example of what can be achieved when politics is put aside?

My dad left education before I was born... even then he became disenfranchised because it was more about the process than the students...
Because that's how government works. Dog and pony show propaganda for policy that is rarely effective. The celebration was because they did something, not because the something they did made any sense.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
The celebration was because they did something, not because the something they did made any sense.
*Taps on nose*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education