Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,305 times

Advertisements

Do any of you agree that this legislation should be overturned one day in order to improve the public education system?
This legislation forces kids to think on the exact same level, it doesn't incorporate different methods of learning nor does it acknowledge children who are far more advanced than others. It also puts a strangle hold on schools that are already great, due to the fact that those schools can't become greater than they already are. I believe the legislation has failed, and it's just an educational assembly line creating obedient workers.
I remember when I was in high school, I went to one of the most dangerous high schools in Bronx, NY at the time. After my freshman year, I requested a transfer to a better school in the area. After reviewing my transfer request, the Board of Education responded in a letter, from what I can remember, the letter said (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm sorry you're transfer was graciously accepted, however, due to "No child left behind" we must give your transfer to a child who is performing below your standards and doesn't have a placement in a classroom as of yet."
I remember showing the letter to my parent's and they were outraged lol.

What does everyone else think of the legislation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
It's been replaced by Race To The Top and the imposition nationally of Common Core Standards. You've got your wish. And as others say, "Be careful what you wish for".

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Teachers and schools in the Pacific Northwest have begun to boycott standardized tests that they feel are worthless and/or damaging to education. I think that is a good start.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Because of the impossible odds of NCLB that 100% of school children pass their state tests next year almost every state has applied for a waiver. Part of that waiver involves them moving over to RTT and common core standards.

Looks like we might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire here.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
All the teachers I know have been strongly against NCLB since it was first discussed. Since the goal has always been 100% proficiency, regardless of student ability, schools were set up to fail from the beginning. It's one of the things that makes it so hard to hear teachers being slammed for not doing their job. This is what the job has been turned into.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Teachers and schools in the Pacific Northwest have begun to boycott standardized tests that they feel are worthless and/or damaging to education. I think that is a good start.

But it will be DOA if the rest of us do not follow suit.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Just another "great" milestone that GWB erected for this nation.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

NCLB was actually written by a group of people that included DIANA RAVITCH during the Clinton administration. It was NEVER intended to be used as it is currently and Ms. Ravitch has spent the better part of the last 10+ years trying to have it repealed.

Race to the Top today---Privatization tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
The concept of NCLB wasn't flawed. schools should have a minimum standard to meet. Such as for graduation rates. That's an important metric, colleges boast about it. If the dropout rate is high, or it's taking students 5+ years to graduate that system has an issue.

The implementation of NCLB was the flawed part. Which usually happens when education bureaucrats (not teachers) are put in charge of an educational program.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The concept of NCLB wasn't flawed. schools should have a minimum standard to meet. Such as for graduation rates. That's an important metric, colleges boast about it. If the dropout rate is high, or it's taking students 5+ years to graduate that system has an issue.

The implementation of NCLB was the flawed part. Which usually happens when education bureaucrats (not teachers) are put in charge of an educational program.
I just think it's ridiculous to expect all students and schools to meet the same standards, even if it's some sort of an arbitrary minimum. That's sort of like expecting every police department in the country that receives Federal public safety dollars to have some sort of a maximum (in this case) crime rate in their area, regardless of what their area is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education