Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 15,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
And that's it? keeping your grades up for something that you are never going to see or use again, much less understand? That doesn't tell you something is wrong with our educational system?
That's one way to think of it.

The other way to think of it is that plowing through a difficult subject, whatever it is, helps prepare a student for life. Taking the easy way out is not always beneficial.

I think if I had worked harder on the subjects that were difficult for me in high school and college, it might have helped me become an attorney, as opposed to a legal secretary. It can be the difference between taking orders from other people or giving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,109,168 times
Beating your way through a subject is nothing more than a number on a transcript. Understanding the subject is a whole different animal. Unfortunately, that seems too be the way our education system is set up today. Get 'em through the grade with passing scores. Don't give 'em the basics and teach them to think their way through the subject or problems Give 'em subjects that have no bearing on their intrest or intended occupations. For instance, if you want to be an attorney, what is stopping you? Go back to school. If you want it bad enough, there is a way.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,940,738 times
Default Re-direct ?

I'm not suggesting that anyone give up on a subject due to sudden difficulties but perhaps the powers that be are trying to tell you to focus on the subjects that you do very well on.
Sometimes the direction our lives take are not what we want or expect.

Just do your best and don't beat yourself up if you don't do as well as you wanted to. ~♥~

There is nothing "wrong" with you and I doubt that you hit a wall. Perhaps you have come to a fork in the road.
What is good is that you have the desire to do good and that is admirable.
I always did very bad in math and I own several small businesses now. I never went to collage either.

You'll do fine in whatever you choose to make a living at if you keep working hard.
Try to find a way to make learning and working fun, that helps a bit.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 15,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Beating your way through a subject is nothing more than a number on a transcript. Understanding the subject is a whole different animal. Unfortunately, that seems too be the way our education system is set up today. Get 'em through the grade with passing scores. Don't give 'em the basics and teach them to think their way through the subject or problems Give 'em subjects that have no bearing on their intrest or intended occupations. For instance, if you want to be an attorney, what is stopping you? Go back to school. If you want it bad enough, there is a way.
You are absolutely right. I am considering going back to school very soon.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,109,168 times
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,173,387 times
There is no subject taught in high school that can't be mastered by an average or above average student. Some require more work than others; some require MUCH more work. You've let yourself fall behind in one of those. It may be too late to recover this year. (I'd suggest taking the course again next year.) The way to "get it" is to spend more time studying it. Instead of breezing through it just to get the homework done, look for extra problems, work them. Re-read the chapter (or parts thereof) until you understand what you're doing.

My freshman year of high school I was hospitalized for a couple weeks, then at home recovering for another couple weeks, so I came back to school a month behind. It took me another month to get caught up, so I was working on my own with algebra for two full months. I never really got back into the swing of it. The instructor told me that I'd done well enough to pass, but he suggested that if I wanted to advance in math that I take the course over again. Of course I didn't want to do that! "No, I don't want to advance in math."

So after high school graduation I was studying math at home again.

By the time I was taking college algebra I was tutoring my classmates.

You may decide not to pursue a career where advanced math is required, but then again, you might. And you'll certainly need a few math classes to graduate from college if you choose that path.

Learn it now, one way or another. Spend a couple hours studying it every night. Make it your priority. Decide that you WILL ace it and do whatever it takes to accomplish your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education