U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM

338 posts, read 667,143 times

Advertisements

What's all this I hear about the textbooks in Texas using revisionist history? I'm a high school graduate, and my history textbooks DID talk about Thomas Jefferson, and my biology textbook DID talk about evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
What's all this I hear about the textbooks in Texas using revisionist history? I'm a high school graduate, and my history textbooks DID talk about Thomas Jefferson, and my biology textbook DID talk about evolution.
The Texas school board is politicizing the new textbooks.

Texas OKs school textbook changes - US news - Life | NBC News

Quote:
In one of the most significant changes leading up to the vote, the board attempted to water down the rationale for the separation of church and state in a high school government class, pointing out that the words were not in the Constitution and requiring that students compare and contrast the judicial language with the wording in the First Amendment.
They also rejected language to modernize the classification of historic periods to B.C.E. and C.E. from the traditional B.C. and A.D., and agreed to replace Thomas Jefferson as an example of an influential political philosopher in a world history class. They also required students to evaluate efforts by global organizations such as the United Nations to undermine U.S. sovereignty.
Excerpts from the new books here:
Excerpts From the New Texas History Textbooks

Note the veneration of Joseph McCarthy and note who the books cite as *objective* champions of the man. All of those people were very anti-communist, but I don't think we can call them objective.

Quote:
instead of being treated as a truth-telling hero, McCarthy was reviled by the liberal establishment (particularly The New York Times and CBS News), who exaggerated the importance of unfortunate factual errors made by the anti-Communist Wisconsin senator. Sadly, under relentless pressure from the liberal Democratic enablers of Soviet agents, McCarthy lapsed into alcoholism, which led to his untimely death. Although McCarthy was unjustly censured by the Democratic Senate in 1954, the Wisconsin senator's patriotic contributions have long been championed by such objective commentators as former Richard Nixon speechwriter Patrick Buchanan (1938- ) and erudite magazine publisher William F. Buckley (1925-2008).

Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The Texas school board is politicizing the new textbooks.

Texas OKs school textbook changes - US news - Life | NBC News

Excerpts from the new books here:
Excerpts From the New Texas History Textbooks

Note the veneration of Joseph McCarthy and note who the books cite as *objective* champions of the man. All of those people were very anti-communist, but I don't think we can call them objective.
I didn't see any of that in my high school textbooks. Maybe I was just lucky?

I DO, however, remember my US History textbook talking about the moral majority.

Also, what do they mean by "replace Thomas Jefferson as an example of an influential philosopher"?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM

4,269 posts, read 6,353,279 times
OP

The "Excerpts From The New..." is a satire -- how one man feared the new textbooks would look like, not anything that was actually published. You must have missed the section on satire in English class!

The other thing is that Texas was so humiliated by the brouhaha over the new standards that they took the power to implement them statewide away from the State Bd of Education and instead gave each individual school district the right to choose whatever textbooks they wanted to. So depending on where you went to high school, you could have gotten a very stratightforward history textbook or a very ideological one.

As to removing Jefferson as "an example of an influential philosopher," that is about as off-the-wall as you can get when you consider that the guy wrote the Declaration of Independence -- certainly one of the most influential and important works of political philosophy ever.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,415,281 times
PBS recently did a documentary on this very issue. Long story short, a year or two back the Texas school board was loaded with ideologues who did their best to rewrite history and science as they saw fit into Texas curriculum. Not sure how it ultimately played out, but the PBS doc indicated that there was backlash.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP

The "Excerpts From The New..." is a satire -- how one man feared the new textbooks would look like, not anything that was actually published. You must have missed the section on satire in English class!

The other thing is that Texas was so humiliated by the brouhaha over the new standards that they took the power to implement them statewide away from the State Bd of Education and instead gave each individual school district the right to choose whatever textbooks they wanted to. So depending on where you went to high school, you could have gotten a very stratightforward history textbook or a very ideological one.

As to removing Jefferson as "an example of an influential philosopher," that is about as off-the-wall as you can get when you consider that the guy wrote the Declaration of Independence -- certainly one of the most influential and important works of political philosophy ever.
Was that the final decision/compromise?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 AM

16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Was that the final decision/compromise?
Note that unless you are currently going to school, you would NOT have seen any of this in your textbooks although you might have been taught Bible curriculum with bias. It would depend on the particular district you went to though.

Here's Bill Moyers on the texts

Messing With Texas Textbooks | BillMoyers.com

The conservatives won the vote in 2010 on the history standards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/ed...exas.html?_r=0
More conservative textbook curriculum OK'd | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

They lost the science battle earlier though.
Creationism controversy again slips into Texas textbook debate - U.S. News

OTOH, they are still trying to get online supplements that teach creationism into the curriculum. Districts can reject those materials though.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 AM

I read Bill Moyer's article, and my history textbook DID talk about the Enlightenment.

Also, my US history book didn't glorify McCarthy.

Last edited by Longhornsfan87; 03-12-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,415,281 times
Not that I am completely in favor of or opposition to Common Core, but the Texas situation is a perfect example as to why I doubt we'll ever see wide-scale state acceptance of any kind of common national social studies or science standards. And truthfully, these subjects where we could probably benefit from having common standards the most. The problem with common standards in math and ELA is that students are generally learning at wildly differing paces in those subjects, while there is probably not quite as much variation in social studies and science.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,577,570 times
So how do I, as a parent, find out what exactly is being taught if my child is in public school in Texas? We live in Texas but the kids go to a charter school and as far as I know they use different textbooks. We are moving soon and my older child will be in a regular public high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or