U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM

10,009 posts, read 5,017,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well, since nearly half of Americans drop out of college, I guess nearly half of us are not doing well in life. Or maybe, I don't know, people just choose to do different things. Many homeschoolers don't buy into the "you have to go and live in a dormitory and party in order to succeed as an adult at some point in the future" mentality that seems pretty popular in our society. Ask random adults how many of them attribute their overall success to dorm life, and I think you'll find that the percentage is quite low.

Also, where are you getting your stats from? According to the New York Times, about half of all college students live at home. Since a very tiny part of them were homeschooled, I'm not sure where this 90%/72% figure is coming from.

ETA: The very fact that you posted the Student Health Service link shows that lots of kids have trouble adjusting to college, regardless of where they were educated. Since the vast majority of kids go to public school, this says that the article is mainly aimed at those who have graduated from a public school and now are having trouble adjusting to college life. I'm very confused at the leap of logic that you are trying to create here.
The same place most of the homeschool statistics that have been bounced around here come from.
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM

3,630 posts, read 1,391,194 times
Which is better depends entirely on the parties involved.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

1,076 posts, read 865,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The same place most of the homeschool statistics that have been bounced around here come from.
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News
Oh, I see.

I find it interesting that you latched onto that one sentence and decided that homeschoolers are actually disadvantaged, when they excel in all of the other criteria...

Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,805,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why does one have to be better? I think it's just a different approach to life. You deal with different cons depending on which direction you take but there are pros for each. There are studies on all and a weekly story on how broken our public school system is. I say make your choice and try to do your best with it.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,805,177 times
[quote=Randomstudent;29490927]It does hold true for everyone. With that said by your own citations homeschool kids are 3x+ more likely not to live at school. It is a 92.7% vs 72.4% figure. Which means a good amount of those kids are not adjusting to independent life.

Or can't afford it. Whatever the reason I'm sure they learn to adjust to life eventually. Right now with the recession a lot of kids and adults are having problems adjusting to life. In my opinion that comes up through out most peoples lives depending on variables.
A lot more kids are moving back home, not just because they miss their mommies either.

Last edited by PoppySead; 05-09-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 AM

552 posts, read 417,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, the girl could just as well have been very religious and attended public school or a home schooled atheist. Just your luck of the draw. lol

I think you might want to date a wide variety of people, and lose the (retainer) need to hide your beliefs. Allow people to seek you for your Wiccan belief then you'll share in it instead of hiding it. Just my opinion being an atheist, at some point you have to just be happy with what you believe and stand for. I know it's difficult when you are the minority and people stereotype you.

That's the main reason for coming out as you are and letting people know not all Wiccans, home schoolers, or any other stereotypes are true for everyone. Just my opinion. Totally different thread though.
Good advice!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM

The more I re-read this thread (and see all of the arguments which I more or less ignore) I can see the pros and cons of both. Unfortunately, bad or good schools I don't think homeschooling will ever be an option when I get to the point of having a family. My significant other is in music education as a band director, I'm sure we would want to raise kids with musical experience in give them the chance of performing in a marching band which in most cases requires them to be enrolled in a school.

More importantly, neither of us would ever be home. She will be working many hours to scrape by an okay salary and I will be working many hours to scrape by a salary so that we can all stay afloat. I'm not sure how families can make time to take all day off to teach their kids. Unless they were loaded, like some home schooled kids I know are.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM

1,076 posts, read 865,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
The more I re-read this thread (and see all of the arguments which I more or less ignore) I can see the pros and cons of both. Unfortunately, bad or good schools I don't think homeschooling will ever be an option when I get to the point of having a family. My significant other is in music education as a band director, I'm sure we would want to raise kids with musical experience in give them the chance of performing in a marching band which in most cases requires them to be enrolled in a school.

More importantly, neither of us would ever be home. She will be working many hours to scrape by an okay salary and I will be working many hours to scrape by a salary so that we can all stay afloat. I'm not sure how families can make time to take all day off to teach their kids. Unless they were loaded, like some home schooled kids I know are.
Depending on the state, homeschooled high schoolers can absolutely join the public school's marching band if they so desire.

As far as being able to afford to have one parent stay home, if it's a priority in your family, then you make it happen. We're far from rich, but we have made decisions (like driving our cars for a long time and buying an inexpensive home) that make it possible. I was completely a SAHM until the kids were about 7 and 5; at that point, I started working on my own business. Now, five years later, I'm making a pretty good salary and only working 15-18 hours per week. There are lots of ways to make it happen. Your partner might elect to stay home most of the time, but give private music lessons during the evenings. Or you might choose to live on one salary by moving to an area with a lower cost of living, or buying a used car, or cutting your "eating out" budget to nearly nil. Remember that a non-working parent uses much less gasoline (no commute) and does not have to buy work clothes or buy lunches out. S/he will also have more time to cook, which means fewer dinners eaten on-the-go. Once you have children, you'll be able to evaluate how to best meet their needs, and if the best way in your particular situation is for one of you to stay home, then you'll figure out a way, just like all households with a SAHP. The vast majority of us are not wealthy.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Depending on the state, homeschooled high schoolers can absolutely join the public school's marching band if they so desire.

As far as being able to afford to have one parent stay home, if it's a priority in your family, then you make it happen. We're far from rich, but we have made decisions (like driving our cars for a long time and buying an inexpensive home) that make it possible. I was completely a SAHM until the kids were about 7 and 5; at that point, I started working on my own business. Now, five years later, I'm making a pretty good salary and only working 15-18 hours per week. There are lots of ways to make it happen. Your partner might elect to stay home most of the time, but give private music lessons during the evenings. Or you might choose to live on one salary by moving to an area with a lower cost of living, or buying a used car, or cutting your "eating out" budget to nearly nil. Remember that a non-working parent uses much less gasoline (no commute) and does not have to buy work clothes or buy lunches out. S/he will also have more time to cook, which means fewer dinners eaten on-the-go. Once you have children, you'll be able to evaluate how to best meet their needs, and if the best way in your particular situation is for one of you to stay home, then you'll figure out a way, just like all households with a SAHP. The vast majority of us are not wealthy.
Thanks for sharing your situation, it is helpful input. I don't think she'd be willing to throw away a shot at a career especially since she went into such debt for her degree, like the rest of us. :P For me, it simply isn't an option because I am the vast majority take home (I basically work as a hacker in computer security) but that's some good food for thought. Thanks again for your input! Definitely conserving on budget is a goal anyways.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,561,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I haven't waded through the thread so perhaps this has been answered, but I don't see why we have to draw a dichotomy between the two anymore than I understand the private vs public education argument. It all depends on the child and where they best perform and who provides the best educational environment. There are crazy good public schools, and home schoolers, just as there are substandard and whacked out private schools, public schools and dumb as a brick home schoolers.

It all depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education