U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM

338 posts, read 504,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Thanks for sharing your situation, it is helpful input. I don't think she'd be willing to throw away a shot at a career especially since she went into such debt for her degree, like the rest of us. :P For me, it simply isn't an option because I am the vast majority take home (I basically work as a hacker in computer security) but that's some good food for thought. Thanks again for your input! Definitely conserving on budget is a goal anyways.
I agree that it is possible. My wife has a BS degree that she never used, she always knew she wanted to be a SAHM mom but also wanted to get her degree before she had kids. Now she homeschools the kids and I work FT. We are still paying for both of our educations and have had to make some sacrifices, but it was a decision we agreed on. We aren't bad off at all, but compared to a two-income family we are definitely behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,243,579 times
Question: What, if any, requirements do states tend to place on homeschooling parents? Also do states give stipends to help defray costs?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM

541 posts, read 943,014 times
State law varies. Each state has different requirements.

No stipends in GA! Not sure about other states. I was able to take $250 state tax credit for teachers.

Homeschooling was much cheaper than private school tuition, which is what we're paying now.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,064,397 times
No stipends in Florida, either, which is fine with me. I've homeschooled in two states, and both were quite easy as far as regulations went. Connecticut has no notification laws and Florida's are minimal. Some states require testing, though, and/or various evaluations. It really depends.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Question: What, if any, requirements do states tend to place on homeschooling parents? Also do states give stipends to help defray costs?
I believe the HSLDA website has that info or each state's dept of elem/secondary ed will have that on their website. I don't know of any states that help to defray costs and I have wondered if some would do that for special ed kids but I'd be afraid to open that can of worms if I had a special needs child.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,496,624 times
I wanted to comment on the marching band post. In our state (WA) both homeschoolers and private school kids can join any sports teams or activities in the public school system. I have two kids in a small private school where many students play on the local public school teams.

The argument of course is that if you're paying taxes for the school your kids should get to participate if they want to.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

4,078 posts, read 4,050,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I wanted to comment on the marching band post. In our state (WA) both homeschoolers and private school kids can join any sports teams or activities in the public school system. I have two kids in a small private school where many students play on the local public school teams.

The argument of course is that if you're paying taxes for the school your kids should get to participate if they want to.
I agree that's a reasonable argument, but when I home schooled my kids back in the 90s, our local school district wouldn't let hs kids participate in any activities. They told me (and I quote) "It is all or nothing."

Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,064,397 times
It goes by state or district, but lots has changed since the 90s in regards to homeschooling. There are so many homeschoolers now, and the face of education is changing, so districts are taking note and making changes themselves.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 AM

565 posts, read 785,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

Thanks for your input, it makes sense to me but I have heard of complications in the past so I wanted to clarify.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 522 times
I am a product of Oregon Public Schools, and did well academically, athletically and socially. I completed my bachelors degree at a 4-year college (not in education). The public gig worked for me, and I was adamantly AGAINST homeschooling because every home-schooler I knew was "weird" and had to overcome great social and academic obstacles later in life.

I now live in Alaska and just started homeschooling my kids (2nd and K) this year. I have been dissatisfied with the public system. My oldest did great in preschool but the moment she moved up to the full-day, 30-kids / teacher nightmare, it didn't take long before she "hated" school... about 3 days. Her confidence began to crumble, her happiness and demeanor fell and she developed an attitude of defiance and entitlement that was unacceptable, not to mention that it ALWAYS bothered me when the teacher would pull out test results and say "she's right where she needs to be." When her scores were clearly below the national average. The district goal was for students to be below average, and the national average leaves something HUGE to be desired too! Homework was a fight that was taxing our relationship and the schedule didn't meet up with the 2-week rotation or vacation schedule EVER. So I did my research, and made a change.

We have been homeschooling for 5 weeks, and my kids are happy, confident, active, and excelling in their lessons and on checkpoints. It takes us about 4 hours to complete 6 lessons each, and then we are free to be social, active and do the fun stuff the rest of the day. We belong to recreational clubs and enjoy a strong network of friends so our birthday parties and camp outs are NEVER lonely. As it's still early, and the testing is so wildly transitional right now with the CORE Curriculum garbage, I don't know how well they are performing by state or national standards yet. But the fact that my 2nd grader doesn't hate doing school anymore is a HUGE "worth it" for me.

Some other unexpected "worth its" are that I get more opportunities to praise my kids and really get to see their accomplishments. I feel a sense of value and accomplishment with how I am creating and spending that quality time. We are far more active and way less stressed by rigorous schedules that waste an unimaginable amount of time. My kids are able to move quickly through things they already know and take more time on the things that challenge them without the confines of having to accommodate 30 other kids, or feelings of boredom or doubt in their abilities to learn.

The down side is that it's work. It takes a lot of time and money. And not every day is a peach. Sometimes, they don't want to do the work. Sometimes I don't want to. Sometimes we just grit through it like a chore, but those days are few and far between and I'd take any one of those over the old homework drama EVERY TIME!

Alaska offers a great network of home-schoolers and several public and private entities to make sure that state and national benchmarks are met. I am using Mat-Su Central School (a public school) that offers $2200/ student for educational purposes, and I get the control. I choose the curriculum, activities and schedule that suit my kids learning ability and my teaching ability and our family schedule. I choose where and how that tiny bit of money is spent, and there is great freedom in that. My kids are still accountable for the material that everyone else is accountable for, they take the same tests at the same checkpoints as everyone else, but they are much happier about it than they were in public school.

I'm not saying it is for everyone. I'm not saying that EVERY public school botches it or that EVERY home school parent does it right. They don't. I'm just confident that home schooling is the right choice for us and will continue doing it with passion and full investment until it no longer is.

Thanks for the opportunity to think this through and share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or