Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
A school doesn't have to give the worksheets to students to consume. I would be within my rights to give the child the worksheet, have him write the answers on a separate sheet of paper, and return the worksheet to me. It's cheap, but unfortunately, it's legal.
Why do the worksheets have to be consumed at all? It would seem perfectly normal for a teacher to give out something and then asked for it to be returned. Or they could just project it on the $5,000 promethean board sitting in front of them. OR post it on their sites so the students could access it on their $1,000 laptops. And instead of writing on a separate sheet of paper, they can use the One Note software that was purchased for the entire school (also at great cost, I might add). Once the assignment is finished, the students could click a button and share it with the teacher. The technology is there, the mindset isn't.

Its also within my rights to just say there is no printer or ink or internet access available at my home. I wouldn't do that, because I'll provide my kids with whatever they need, along with all the fruit trays, teacher's gifts for birthdays, Christmas, end of year, teacher appreciation, and the white t-shirts, costumes, and poster boards that are requested. The point is, I get there are some consumables for which there will never be substitutes, and I don't mind providing. But when millions of dollars are being spent on technology, only to sit at a students feet while they fill out archaic worksheets printed at home because a teacher doesn't want to update their 1985 lesson plan, there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert_2001 View Post
Is there some complex drawing that has to be done on the worksheet? Why not write the answers on a separate sheet of paper? That's how we did it when we were in school, with textbooks. Hell, sometimes we had to rewrite the problem.
No, no complex anything. The point is that he doesn't have to write the answers until he is in class, so how would he know what the question is if he doesn't have the printed worksheet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,275 times
I think the situation is a little strange, at ky school we have a print limit (20 per student) with am unlimited # of copies. Is there a way that students can just copy or print at school? I assume the library or computer lab is being under used. Copy Paper is part of a school wide budget, at least in my district and those surrounding.

As far as printing goes, you should he able to go into setting and hook uo the laptop to the same wireless network that your printer is connected to; assuming your printer is wireless you shouldn't have any problem, no installation needed. Otherwise teach your S to connect the cable into the computer and print that way, it certaibky can he done!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,467 times
I just took a class called Fundamentals of Foundational Perspectives of Education. There were several questions on the final about type of thing, and basically the correct answer on this test would be that you shouldn't expect students to print stuff out at home unless the school is providing the printer and ink because that would put poor students at a disadvantage. Not sure how that works out in the real world, but that's what they are teaching in my teacher certification program.

I just googled it, and requiring parents to pay for school supplies is illegal in at least California and Michigan. It may be the same in your state?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I just took a class called Fundamentals of Foundational Perspectives of Education. There were several questions on the final about type of thing, and basically the correct answer on this test would be that you shouldn't expect students to print stuff out at home unless the school is providing the printer and ink because that would put poor students at a disadvantage. Not sure how that works out in the real world, but that's what they are teaching in my teacher certification program.
Yeah, in my experience at my kids' school (a public charter) this is largely ignored. There at least, they didn't care if there was no internet at home, no printer, no computer. My son was routinely assigned things that HAD to be done at home with use of the internet. Local library branch (especially when we lived in a VERY poor zip code) was always packed to the gills with other people using the computers. Kids weren't given time at school on school computers to work on these things. They just "assumed" everyone had computers with internet and working printers and such at home. Obnoxious attitude if you ask me. Granted, it was usually not an issue for us but there were times when it was a problem.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yeah, in my experience at my kids' school (a public charter) this is largely ignored. There at least, they didn't care if there was no internet at home, no printer, no computer. My son was routinely assigned things that HAD to be done at home with use of the internet. Local library branch (especially when we lived in a VERY poor zip code) was always packed to the gills with other people using the computers. Kids weren't given time at school on school computers to work on these things. They just "assumed" everyone had computers with internet and working printers and such at home. Obnoxious attitude if you ask me. Granted, it was usually not an issue for us but there were times when it was a problem.
Yeah, an answer to one question was that you cannot expect students to go to the public library for school work...

Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Yeah, an answer to one question was that you cannot expect students to go to the public library for school work...
Certainly not in an impoverished/urban area! Libraries are zoos these days, crazy with people. Now, I was able to "sneak" my teenager in to my computer lab at school because I am also a student but that surely doesn't apply to most parents.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
How many pages would you say you're printing per month just for a single child? I'm trying to get an idea how ridiculous it really is.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Certainly not in an impoverished/urban area! Libraries are zoos these days, crazy with people. Now, I was able to "sneak" my teenager in to my computer lab at school because I am also a student but that surely doesn't apply to most parents.
And really, how can you expect someone to do well on an assignment when they have to sit next to the smelly people who hog the public library computers!? haha I'm kidding. Those are my kind of people.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
This is directly opposite of the schools that I have worked in. Group assignments always had time in the computer lab or with laptops. The schools always made sure that students had access to computers whether or not they had one at home. Sometimes it wasn't always an ideal time, such as a grade school student occasionally needing to miss recess to finish something up but usually it was during free work time or study hall.

The computer labs at the high school always have kids working on things before or after school and there are always plenty of computers.

Teachers were always told never to assume that everyone had access to computers outside of school.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I think the situation is a little strange, at ky school we have a print limit (20 per student) with am unlimited # of copies. Is there a way that students can just copy or print at school? I assume the library or computer lab is being under used. Copy Paper is part of a school wide budget, at least in my district and those surrounding.

As far as printing goes, you should he able to go into setting and hook uo the laptop to the same wireless network that your printer is connected to; assuming your printer is wireless you shouldn't have any problem, no installation needed. Otherwise teach your S to connect the cable into the computer and print that way, it certaibky can he done!
His laptop is definitely connected to my wireless network, but the printer requires a driver to be installed. The laptops are VERY user restricted, and you can't install anything without being an admin. In fact, I had trouble changing the name of a file once that I had misspelled.

I looked up the printing budget at my school, and your right, there is indeed one. Not sure what each teacher's is (several of his would be way over her 20 per student), but I did see in one of the minutes of one of the meetings that it went way over (like 4x) one of the quarters, so they probably "fixed" that by telling teachers to shift those costs to the students (instead of eliminating the cost and trouble, by just submitting assignments electronically). I really don't mind printing, if it was necessary, for example, math. There is something about having a pencil and paper to work out equations. But to have a backpack of 3 ring binders (or my favorite, a spiral notebook with worksheets stapled to each page) of worksheets when you have a laptop, just makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This is directly opposite of the schools that I have worked in. Group assignments always had time in the computer lab or with laptops. The schools always made sure that students had access to computers whether or not they had one at home. Sometimes it wasn't always an ideal time, such as a grade school student occasionally needing to miss recess to finish something up but usually it was during free work time or study hall.

The computer labs at the high school always have kids working on things before or after school and there are always plenty of computers.

Teachers were always told never to assume that everyone had access to computers outside of school.
They don't have to assume, every student is assigned their own laptop. They do have access, guaranteed. Now internet access is another thing, but in our school, it would be a very, very, small percentage. And you could always go to starbucks or McDonald's, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education