Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Just graduated HS and going to flying school. I do have a part time job, but I feel that I should do the best quality work all the time, not just when my manager comes around.
You are Assuming that any changes are deliberate when they may not be and you're assuming they stem from not wanting to do the best job possible. Both assumptions would be frequently wrong. We are just more aware of what we do when we are observed. If you don't believe me, I challenge you to this test. Tell your supervisor that you want to do an observation experiment. Ask him/her to watch you work for an entire week. Then compare how tired you are at the end of that week compared to a normal week. The act of being observed changes our focus. My focus is doing my job but when I'm being observed my focus becomes the observer. For me, observations have a negative impact on my teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I am a teacher and I don't act differently. I don't act differently when anyone comes in. I have the confidence and the expertise not to "sweat" the principal or anyone. If you want to come to my class and see for yourself, send me a pm and I will give you directions.

I am open any school day, any time, no appointment necessary. Just drop in. OBTW, I am way UNCONVENTIONAL, but I don't care who is observing.

Come on down!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Why do the teachers portray their classrooms to be in order and to be teaching in a certain style whenever the principal comes in? Then they go right back to what they normally do when the principal walks out.
Are the principals in most schools here in America even aware of what happens when they aren't there?
Lots of people act fake to one degree or another, around their boss. It also depends on the personalities and the dynamic between boss and worker.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Lots of people act fake to one degree or another, around their boss. It also depends on the personalities and the dynamic between boss and worker.
And whether or not being placed in an unusual situation causes one to be nervous. Knowing we're being judged does make some people nervous.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's what I normally see. The disruptive kids, suddenly, behave and the kids who are normally engaged in the lesson plan clam up. That has a major effect on the feel of the classroom.

Edited to add: One could also ask the question: "Why do students act so fake when the principal strolls in?" We all behave differently when we know we're being watched by someone who has real power over us.

I will also add that sometimes when the principal leaves the kids then begin acting goofy b/c they originally think that the principal is coming in to get one of them and then when that doesnt happen there is this huge sigh of relief amongst the crowd. it really creates more of an issue. there have been one or two times where that happened i wanted to scream at my principal that everything was going well UNTIL they walked in.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everdeen View Post
same reason kids act different when their parents are there.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think this is intentional, with most people. We just, suddenly, become more aware of what we're doing when we are watched. Sometimes, our performance actually suffers because of our audience.

when i first started teaching i had a principal who was the definition of a micro-manager. he was in classrooms once every two weeks it seemed and i know for a lot of the staff we felt like we were walking on egg shells while teaching. i know for a fact my work suffered and my health as well (towards the end of my second year i had daily stomach pains and headaches due to the stress he imposed on us). LUCKILY this guy was fired after those first 2 years and the principal I have worked for the last 7 years has been the complete opposite. He is very hands off and allows you to handle your classroom as you see fit and treats us like professionals. I probably would've left the profession had it not been for the other principal being fired. 7 years later i'm at the top of my game and to think a promising career could have been ruined by one very poor administrator.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I don't know. I LOVE for my principal to come see what I am doing. In fact, I invite her, many times during the year. I also beg parents to come and observe mean old Mr xxxxx. I want them to see for themselves.

Accurate information is the teacher's best friend.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
when i first started teaching i had a principal who was the definition of a micro-manager. he was in classrooms once every two weeks it seemed and i know for a lot of the staff we felt like we were walking on egg shells while teaching. i know for a fact my work suffered and my health as well (towards the end of my second year i had daily stomach pains and headaches due to the stress he imposed on us). LUCKILY this guy was fired after those first 2 years and the principal I have worked for the last 7 years has been the complete opposite. He is very hands off and allows you to handle your classroom as you see fit and treats us like professionals. I probably would've left the profession had it not been for the other principal being fired. 7 years later i'm at the top of my game and to think a promising career could have been ruined by one very poor administrator.
I felt like I was walking on eggshells with my last principal because my teaching style isn't one he likes (I'm very content driven and teach bell to bell). He would always chastise me for reminding students to get to work on the bellwork or, on lab days, saying "Get out your procedures" instead of chit chatting with the students, at the beginning of the hour, and felt I didn't tell enough jokes when I lectured so I was always hyper aware of not doing these things when he was observing me. Being liked by students and parents is his #1 want in teachers.

I don't think he'll last much longer. The current superintendent protects him but he's on his way out and it's doubtful he'll find another superintendent who will protect him given he has zero respect from the teachers or students. Parents like him because he rolls every time they complain.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't know. I LOVE for my principal to come see what I am doing. In fact, I invite her, many times during the year. I also beg parents to come and observe mean old Mr xxxxx. I want them to see for themselves.

Accurate information is the teacher's best friend.
I don't mind at all when parents come but most of the ones who come won't try to tell me how to teach the way my principal would. In the three years I worked with him, I don't think he ever had a kind thing to say to me except that I had the respect of my peers. They tried, in vain, to come to my defense. I was really touched by that. For what it's worth, my peers, who I worked with every day, thought I was a good teacher. Unfortunately, the principal's opinion is the only one that counts and I don't think I ever did anything right in his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education