Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
SPORTS DO NOT BELONG IN EDUCATION.
I, and a vast majority of Americans, and parents, disagree with you.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM

498 posts, read 1,519,643 times
Thumbs down hELLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
It does not take a (warped by parent (ugly) ) parent to have a child who knows that everyone is not good at everything.

What PP was saying is that a child who does NOT know that everyone is not good at everything has a warped parent. Re-read the post. Parents need to teach their kids realism.

What really gets me though is that "some" not most, just "some" EDUCATORS are fighting for the sports and not the EDUCATION.

I will fight tooth and nail for education, this thread is about sports, it does not always have to be one or the other. I will fight for honors programs, AP classes, technical programs, special education classes, art shows, band concerts, school dances, debate clubs, etc. as they are ALL part of education, sports included. This thread is about sports in schools, that is why we are talking about it. Start another thread about the importance of art in schools and I will fight for that too.

WE pay EDUCATORS TO EDUCATE AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO SETTLE FOR ANY LESS!!!

Where I come from, the educators are educating, not an issue. The kids are learning, getting good test scores and getting into college.

It is not going to hurt anybody to let every one play.

Everyone can play-in little league. Growing up is the time for everyone to play, high school is the time for kids to develop their talents. Colleges want to see kids focus in on a couple of things and do them well. The kids need to be guided to areas of strength not put in fake situations where they are taught that everyone is good at everything.

AS far as building character and a well rounded person, that comes from home and the world experiences- No one can deny that.

I can deny that. Am I no one? Sure, part of a child's character comes from the home but being well-rounded comes from excelling at different activities throughout life, participating and doing well in areas in which you are successful.

They build character walking through the hallways. That is just not enough to keep taking the MONIES AND EDUCATION TIME out of the classrooms where there is also characterization going on as we speak. Get it?

No, I don't get it? Who builds character walking through what hallways?

EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS DIFFERENT AND TALENTED IN DIFFERENT WAYS... jUST CAUSE JOHNNY COULDN'T SCRAPE UP THAT "A" does not mean he does not have talent in some or all sports.

Exactly, now you are proving my point! HA! Kids need to find what they are good at, if they are allowed to do everything they want, make every team or club they try out for, they will never develop their real talents.
hELLO Now you are stating to get what I am saying. We as parents are teaching our kids realism. We don't have that choice. THE EDUCATORS ARE OUT OF LINE IN EDUCATION TODAY. There is no one school in the USA that is excelling at anything right now. I posted about the EDUCATION. Sports are in the way big time. Just go back and read all of my posts. They are the facts. No one can deny that a person is building character every day in EVERYTHING THEY DO. WOW!! Sounds like we might have kindergarteners on here. KIDS NEED THE OPPURTUNITY TO PRACTICE AT BEING GOOD IN SPORTS ON THEIR PLAY TIME IN THE COMMUNITIES. I am hearing that sports are absolutely no good for any one unless they are in the PROTECTED EDUCATION FIELD. Hmmm. Not Good. Ok thanks. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
hELLO Now you are stating to get what I am saying. We as parents are teaching our kids realism. We don't have that choice. THE EDUCATORS ARE OUT OF LINE IN EDUCATION TODAY. There is no one school in the USA that is excelling at anything right now. I posted about the EDUCATION. Sports are in the way big time. Just go back and read all of my posts. They are the facts. No one can deny that a person is building character every day in EVERYTHING THEY DO. WOW!! Sounds like we might have kindergarteners on here. KIDS NEED THE OPPURTUNITY TO PRACTICE AT BEING GOOD IN SPORTS ON THEIR PLAY TIME IN THE COMMUNITIES. I am hearing that sports are absolutely no good for any one unless they are in the PROTECTED EDUCATION FIELD. Hmmm. Not Good. Ok thanks. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
I'm sorry but, you really need to work on your grammer, spelling, and structure of your posts

Old 12-11-2007, 04:05 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think you read what people say and then decide to turn it into what you wished they had said and what you want to respond to!

I an not starting to get what you are saying, in fact, I think I am getting further and further from getting what you are saying!

I know a lot of parents who are not teaching their kids realism. Just because you provide a happy home where realism is taught and everyone is equal, does not mean that everyone does. I work with hundreds of kids and families, do you?

So you are saying that no school in America is being successful in anything? I think there are trophies, and awards, academic, athletic and artistic, that would prove you wrong. That statement was pure nonsense, many schools are succeeding, and some are failing.

I was saying that kids are building character everyday in everything they do, YOU were the one saying that they build it at home. As far as I know, most kids leave home at some point everyday?

Sports are great for everyone, in school or out. I know a lot of kids who swim for USS teams or kids who play for traveling soccer teams, but it is good for them there AND good for them in school too. Sports are great, anywhere and everywhere.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Smile hELLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I, and a vast majority of Americans, and parents, disagree with you.
That is ok. There are more in numbers of us than there are your vast many. I would really like to hear from the majority of Americans. That is not true at all. I think you better start talking to the parents who kids are not being taught EDUCATION because they are not the basket ball star. you have a great day. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM

89 posts, read 148,999 times
Quote:
I would love to have a child who does nothing in school but academics which is what they are there for.

You are in the minority, for sure. School is about more than academics, it is about helping kids discover who they are and become adults.

Sports cause the unhappiness in children who aren't good enough to participate.

Sure, kids face disappointment when they do not make a team or when they sit the bench, but that is LIFE. They are not going to succeed at everything, it is a life lesson. What about the kid that does not make the band or does not get the part in the play? Or the student that does not win president of his class? Should we cancel all those things so everyone can live in the magical made-up world where we are all equal and good at everything?
I will once again, bring up my student who was on the varsity baseball team at a private school and came to the public school and did not make the team. He was so upset but, in working with him to get through it, we explored his real talents and he discovered his love for drawing and music. He is now majoring in art in college. Had he not been cut from the baseball team, this might not have happened.
You being a teacher should know better than anyone else what it can do to a childs self esteem to not fit in to the SPORTS GROUP
Multi-Strip All
P.E class should be a sufficient dose of sports

Many schools have no PE or only one or two years

LET'S SEE HOW MANY KIDS WE CAN THROW INTO THE TOILET AND FLUSH THEIR LIVES AWAY

Can you be more extreme and dramatic?? You do not need to yell, we can hear you.
Ok so you see the trauma the baseball sport caused this child to go through, he ended up needing counseling over it, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't able to concentrate on his schooling like he should have been. I think you have made a very good point here, if he didn't play baseball in school then he wouldn't have to go through the trauma and dissapointment of not being good enough and have to face the fact that he is no longer anybody special he is just another child that actualy had to turn to learning something in school along with the rest of the nobodys. Hmm I wonder what kids are really in school for anyway. Maybe if he wasn't wasting his time on baseball (which is what was probably required of him to be part of the in group) he would never of had to be cut by the team and he could have had the opportunity to embelish on his true talents and love for drawing and music. I don't know about you but in my area art and music are offered as classes, and I would much rather see my child expolring these areas. I am very impressed that he is now majoring in drawing and music in college, where would he have been without it.
Let me stand corrected on the fact that you are not a teacher, i thought the two kinda went hand in hand. (My bad)
I also realize that PE is no longer mandatory for Varsity sports players, which might not be a bad thing, so my child can actually participate in PE without being hounded by the (important) sports boys. I'm all for that one, get them out of my childs classroom so he can learn something and feel good about it.
And let me apoligize if I was yelling at you, and yes I think I could be a little more extreme and dramatic if I were to mention all of the school shootings that are now taking place in our wonderful school environemnts. Did anyone ever bother to take note of the obvious signs of these troubled children or did they not deserve the attention because they were not the sports star of the day????

Old 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Talk about trying to be over protective!!!!

Sheeeesssssshhhhhh

Let the kid fall down and scrape his knee once in a while1

Old 12-11-2007, 04:14 PM

Default mE AGAIN

Quote:
Sometimes I think you read what people say and then decide to turn it into what you wished they had said and what you want to respond to!

I an not starting to get what you are saying, in fact, I think I am getting further and further from getting what you are saying!

I know a lot of parents who are not teaching their kids realism. Just because you provide a happy home where realism is taught and everyone is equal, does not mean that everyone does. I work with hundreds of kids and families, do you?

So you are saying that no school in America is being successful in anything? I think there are trophies, and awards, academic, athletic and artistic, that would prove you wrong. That statement was pure nonsense, many schools are succeeding, and some are failing.

I was saying that kids are building character everyday in everything they do, YOU were the one saying that they build it at home. As far as I know, most kids leave home at some point everyday?

Sports are great for everyone, in school or out. I know a lot of kids who swim for USS teams or kids who play for traveling soccer teams, but it is good for them there AND good for them in school too. Sports are great, anywhere and everywhere.
Ok. I do respond to what I percieve from EDUCATORS. I do appreciate the wise words you put out,but some got to go. Ha? What's that?/ Grow up. You are defending very few as a whole. I would not be too proud of that, especially from someone in your title. We will be heard all over the world, like it or not. No offense Just trying to rescue childrens education and participation in sports. LET THEM PLAY!! ALL OF THEM< Thank you. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
Ok so you see the trauma the baseball sport caused this child to go through, he ended up needing counseling over it, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't able to concentrate on his schooling like he should have been.

My point, in response to the posts that all students should be allowed to do everything, was that if cuts (or whatever else you want to call them in other areas) were not part of school and life, then this kid would have never found his niche. The same would have been true for a student who tried out for the play or the band and did not make it or ran for class president and did not make it. You knew what I was saying and can twist my words all you want. I 'counsel' kids on a daily basis about all kids of things, the majority of which are academic issues. Your implication that this child has to enroll in constant 'counseling' is false.

I don't know about you but in my area art and music are offered as classes, and I would much rather see my child expolring these areas.

Of course they are classes but then there are afterschool components that require audition and/or application. Not all kids who audition for the play get a part.

I also realize that PE is no longer mandatory for Varsity sports players,

PE, where I am from is not required of any junior and seniors, regardless of their athletic affiliation.

And let me apoligize if I was yelling at you, and yes I think I could be a little more extreme and dramatic if I were to mention all of the school shootings that are now taking place in our wonderful school environemnts. Did anyone ever bother to take note of the obvious signs of these troubled children or did they not deserve the attention because they were not the sports star of the day????:

Yes, the reason kids shoot up schools is because they are not the sports star, sure, we will see how far that theory goes. There are theories that say that bullying caused some of this, so are you saying that all bullies are sports stars? Not at my school!!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Smile Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Talk about trying to be over protective!!!!

Sheeeesssssshhhhhh

Let the kid fall down and scrape his knee once in a while1
Ok, thank you. That is exactly what I personally am trying to do. Open all the doors for ALL OF THE CHILDREN. So thank you for those wise words.. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education