U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,215 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right area to post this It seems there is more teachers and people really good at English here that may be able to explain what is going on with my grammar.

I have got replies ( other message boards not really here ) saying my grammar is very weak and post is hard to follow .I'm not all sure what is wrong with my English because I don't understand it enough to see the errors.

I'm not sure if it is people have hard time understanding me if it is question ,fact ,statement or opinion or if it is punctuation problem ,grammar problem or problem with compound sentence or complex sentence structure problem that may be causing run on sentence for some readers .

I will like to know what area is the big problem so I know what to work on.

Here some my replies to other threads where you can see my grammar .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post30633764

The US constitution and founding fathers.

What really is a service sector economy

Information and facts about Texas and myths about Texas.

I also think much of my problem could be not putting period or commas or know where to put it. When sentence stops when there should be new paragraph.Some people say my writing ,spelling and grammar comes across has third grader.

Not sure what the problem is or what area I need to work on .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Default Accurate assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Some people say my writing ,spelling and grammar comes across has third grader.
I would agree.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM

529 posts, read 409,852 times
Just a few quick fixes:
* Place the space AFTER your punctuation marks, not before.
* You omit a lot of indefinite and definite articles (the, an, a) which makes your sentences sound choppy and not smooth.
* Learn the difference between "then" and "than." This is an important one for communicating clearly.
* Make sure you're using plural and singular correctly.
* Stay away from idioms until you're more proficient.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I'll try.It's good that you want to improve. There are a lot of people who think the reader should do all the work trying to translate their poor language.It's important to be able to communicate what you are trying to say.From your first example:

Europe use to be very ultra christian now NOT any more .Much of the American youth are not really christian it is normally older people .

Europe used to be very ultra Christian, now NOT any more. [the period comes first, then the space.] Much of the American youth are not really Christian. [period] It is normally older people.

Most countries in the world are religious it is not going away. The world is slowing moving to less religion but just not going be in face like in past .

Most countries in the world are religious. [period] It is not going away. The world is slowing [slowly] moving to less religion but just not going be in face like in past ...... I don't know what you mean here but maybe this:
The world is slowly moving to less religion. It is not going to be in your face like in the past.

Also it not christian putting god down your throat it is normally Baptists and Born Again who give the US bad name

Also it's not Christians putting God down your throat. It is normally Baptists and Born Agains who give the US a bad name.

It's your punctuation--you need to end the sentence with a period and then a space. End the sentence when it sounds like it is ending and when you are starting a new thought.

Also it not christian
----see? this does not make sense. Also IT IS. No one says IT NOT, they say it IS not or it's not. (it's=it is.)
And Christian is a proper name and needs a capital C. Same with God. Same with any name like John or Bill.

It is normally Baptists and Born Agains who give the US a bad name.

Not so bad here. I won't go into things like the names of the grammatical terms because it doesn't matter and only gets confusing in this case. You need to know the simple rules as I have outlined.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Is the US not violation of the the constitution ? Things like healthcare , social security , crime , businesses tax , drug laws so on not state matter?

Is the US not a violation of the the Constitution? Things like healthcare, social security, crime, businesses tax, drug laws, so on, [not state matter? does not make sense. are not state matters?]

I thought the founding fathers wanted the Feds to deal with trade, immigrants and military defence only and things like abortion, LGBT, healthcare, social security [and crime be state matter? does not make sense. crime would be a state matter?]

But then would laws like healthcare, social security, drug laws, businesses tax and FDA be in violation of the Constitution or what the founding fathers wanted? [The word is then not than. Than is used for comparison--he is taller than she is.]

What has happan to constitution than or has it been changed? Many states still have their own laws.Some states really tough on crime and other states bit softer on crime.

What has happened to the Constitution then or has it been changed? Many states still have their own laws. Some states are really tough on crime and other states are a bit softer on crime.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM

What really is a service sector economy? I looked on Wikipedia and it is saying financial services , retail, health , human services , information technology and education. ["What" is a question so you need a question mark at the end. Wikipedia is a proper name so it needs a capital W. Commas don't need a space before them.]

But does not every country need retail , health and education[comma] be it US ,Canada ,UK ,China ,India , Singapore and Thailand so on? I also cant can't see more than 10% of the population [missing a word here--WORKING in retail? GOING into retail?] into retail , health and education. Fix the commas. You are asking a question at the beginning so you need a ? at the end.

What is human services. Could use a comma if you are asking a question.

I also cant see more than 10% people into financial services and information technology.Also is financial services different in US ,Canada ,UK than financial services different in China or Thailand. [cant is can't. It =can + not but when you leave out the NOT you put in an apostrophe to show it. 10% people does not make sense--you mean 10% of the people.
The second time you used"different" you do not need it. Does not make sense.]

I hear 90% of the jobs in the UK and France are financial services and likes of stock , investment and banking. [and likes of stock. do not know what you mean. such as? financial services such as stock, investment, and banking.]

If so what such a demand for this now than not before in the past and why such a workforce shortage in that line of work. If so, why such a demand for this [this what? this kind of work?] now and not before, and why such a workforce shortage in that line of work?

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-24-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM

-The bible belt and conserves mostly in the country and towns , where the liberals are in city.

Bible-capital letter as it is a proper name. Conserves? Do you mean Conservatives? Where is a place. You probably mean whereas for contrast.

-The cowboy look and country look is in the town and country not the city.You hardly find any person in city with cowboy boots or cowboy hat.The only city that has more of this look is Fort Worth.

-The cowboy look and country look is in the town and country not the city.You hardly find any person in the city with cowboy boots or a cowboy hat.The only city that has more of this look is Fort Worth.

-Girls in Texas are very girly in behavior and how they dress and look.

-Most people in Texas don't have much of an accent because of so many people moving there. Most of the accent is in towns and country [comma] not the city.The only city that [in which] some people have an accent is Fort Worth.

-Dallas and Houston are the most dressED Arizona, New Mexico ,Florida and city of Atlanta.You will hardly ever see some one [someone] in yoga pants ,trackpants ,sweatpants ,plain house /sleeping t-shirt ,tracksuit or sweatsuit so on .And you never see anyone in pajama pants. [Fix the commas and periods.]

-Most cities in Texas lack bars ,night clubs and an entertainment district like other cities in Florida or California .One things people don't like to move to Texas. The last sentence makes no sense.

-Girls in Texas are very open and sexual and go all out of way to look and act girly.

You need to get the commas and periods straight. Need to put -ed on the end of words in the past tense. Need to use THE or AN or A before certain words. Need to capitalize the first letter of proper names like Bible or America.

I agree, it is very hard to understand what you are saying. You could look over the corrections I made and try to apply them in the future and also you would benefit from reading books so that you could see for yourself what correct writing looks like. You can gain a lot from seeing correct writing, more than any of us could explain.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM

3,901 posts, read 3,579,980 times
Quote:
I hope this is the right area to post this It seems there is more teachers and people really good at English here that may be able to explain what is going on with my grammar.

Some people say my writing ,spelling and grammar comes across has third grader.
You sound Asian to me but I don't think your grammar and punctuation are all that bad. I've seen far worse from Asians who have been in the U.S. for many decades.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,054,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
-The bible belt and conserves mostly in the country and towns , where the liberals are in city.

Bible-capital letter as it is a proper name. Conserves? Do you mean Conservatives? Where is a place. You probably mean whereas for contrast.

-The cowboy look and country look is in the town and country not the city.You hardly find any person in city with cowboy boots or cowboy hat.The only city that has more of this look is Fort Worth.

-The cowboy (look) and country look is in the town and country, not the city.--You hardly find any person in the city with cowboy boots or a cowboy hat.--The only city that has more of this look is Fort Worth.

-Girls in Texas are very girly in behavior and in how they dress and look.

-Most people in Texas don't have much of an accent because of so many people moving there. Most of the accent is in towns and country [comma] not the city.The only city that [in which] some people have an accent is Fort Worth.
-Dallas and Houston are the most dressED Arizona, New Mexico ,Florida and city of Atlanta.--You will hardly ever see some one [someone] in yoga pants ,-trackpants ,-sweatpants ,-plain house /sleeping t-shirt ,-tracksuit, (or) sweatsuit, or so on .--And you never see anyone in pajama pants. [Fix the commas and periods.]
-Most cities in Texas lack bars ,night clubs and an entertainment district like other cities in Florida or California .One things people don't like to move to Texas. The last sentence makes no sense.

-Girls in Texas are very open and sexual and go all out of way to look and act girly.

You need to get the commas and periods straight. Need to put -ed on the end of words in the past tense. Need to use THE or AN or A before certain words. Need to capitalize the first letter of proper names like Bible or America.

I agree, it is very hard to understand what you are saying. You could look over the corrections I made and try to apply them in the future and also you would benefit from reading books so that you could see for yourself what correct writing looks like. You can gain a lot from seeing correct writing, more than any of us could explain.
real good corrections. I would agree that it is very difficult to understand. A very easy place to start is with the space after the punctuation, not before (this isn't a language thing, though.... what language does this???) and using articles. That should have been mastered early on.

Other mistakes are more advanced, and you would still be understood if you had the basics down.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,944 times
Quote:

I have got replies ( other message boards not really here ) saying my grammar is very weak and post is hard to follow .I'm not all sure what is wrong with my English because I don't understand it enough to see the errors.

I'm not sure if it is people have hard time understanding me if it is question ,fact ,statement or opinion or if it is punctuation problem ,grammar problem or problem with compound sentence or complex sentence structure problem that may be causing run on sentence for some readers .

I will like to know what area is the big problem so I know what to work on.

Here some my replies to other threads where you can see my grammar .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post30633764

The US constitution and founding fathers.

What really is a service sector economy

Information and facts about Texas and myths about Texas.

I also think much of my problem could be not putting period or commas or know where to put it. When sentence stops when there should be new paragraph.Some people say my writing ,spelling and grammar comes across has third grader.

Not sure what the problem is or what area I need to work on .
You have too many problems for anyone to address here. You need to learn advanced verb tenses, clauses, and mechanics, but you also have some problems with run-on sentences and basic sentence structure. I would suggest a good ESL writing class - check your local community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or