U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 AM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Education in this country (and this includes 'college') is largely a means of social control.

I think that's what TV is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM

25,393 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No teachers, guidance counselors or even Democrats I know have ever said that. No one has ever said that to my kids either.
So, yeah... there's nothing to disagree with...
It's something I've heard and if you listen to Obama and other Democrats, they talk about college degrees being key for education. The issue I have is with the money to go to college being higher than it ever has been and the juice from it, is not there anymore and perhaps isn't the best option for everyone anymore.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,532,707 times
Quote:
The issue I have is with the money to go to college being higher than it ever has been and the juice from it, is not there anymore and perhaps isn't the best option for everyone anymore.
Precisely on the money aspect. And for sure it questions whether or not 'everyone' can go to college and get what is called an 'education'. Listen the rich and upper middle class are ok on the 'affordability' issue. But for those on the bottom rung no. Money now is just another impediment for those in those bottom income quintiles who are trying to rise. And previously one could rise from those lower quintiles with an education. This is for some reason a different US along those lines than in previous years.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Precisely on the money aspect. And for sure it questions whether or not 'everyone' can go to college and get what is called an 'education'. Listen the rich and upper middle class are ok on the 'affordability' issue. But for those on the bottom rung no. Money now is just another impediment for those in those bottom income quintiles who are trying to rise. And previously one could rise from those lower quintiles with an education. This is for some reason a different US along those lines than in previous years.
Even middle class it isn't my parents were middle class and still made to much for FASFA. If my grandfather didn't die, I would have gone to community college from the get-go. Even still, the costs of college in New York for community college is still high.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's something I've heard and if you listen to Obama and other Democrats, they talk about college degrees being key for education.
I totally agree with that.
But that education still does not come with a job guarantee.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,962,568 times
Ideally both but if I had to chose one side it is a job, definitely a job. No one wants to pay 40-50k for 4 years (and yes I am well aware a college degree can cost more) for life experiences and well roundedness. If you want that, why not spend a year traveling through Europe or something.

The goal the expectation of college is to aid you in finding a job better than if you simply stopped at high school. I still believe that education comes with a job guarantee or at least pretty dam close to a job guarantee if you study certain fields. And I know people are going to bring up learning for the sake of learning, global citizen. well roundedness etc... at the same though Id wager that after the well roundedness and learning for the sake of learning -your goal for employment is beyond the minimum wage job you did in high school right?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM

355 posts, read 732,180 times
Quote:
Higher education generally has risen faster than inflation and can cost a family a bundle especially if more than one child attends. It seems institutions raised tuition simply because they could knowing that everyone knows you 'need an education'.
You're darn right they did. Go to college they said. You'll get a job no problem they said. All bull! This service sector economy crap has screwed over everybody. Colleges are defrauding untold millions of students. Financial literacy is not taught in High schools yet 17 yr old and 18 yr old kids are being asked to sign loans worth thousands of dollars, while being promised jobs that aren't there. BIGGEST SCAM OF THE CENTURY and certainly the modern era.

Quote:
Question is has our educational institutions met their goal of 'educating' students what with the fact that a college education today doesn't necessarily guarantee a job after a student graduates. And the fact that students tend to have more debt as a result of that education puts the question to whether or not a college education is 'worth it'. Ultimately this all goes to asking what's an 'education' for and are our institutions doing a good job along those lines?
Students are getting educated alright. They're being taught how take money out of their pocket and put it right into the hands of their greedy schools and professors, professors who you just know if you have their class and they have written a book, you're going to have to buy that professor's book in order to pass. And the bookstore? Prepare to accept their "generous" buyback of 25% of original MSRP.

The AMAZING part is this madness continues unabated, almost without question, and is undoubtedly stifling the economy as young consumers must shell out money for the loan that got them a Mcjob, instead of spending that money on almost anything else that would have proved far more useful.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
You're darn right they did. Go to college they said. You'll get a job no problem they said. All bull! This service sector economy crap has screwed over everybody. Colleges are defrauding untold millions of students. Financial literacy is not taught in High schools yet 17 yr old and 18 yr old kids are being asked to sign loans worth thousands of dollars, while being promised jobs that aren't there. BIGGEST SCAM OF THE CENTURY and certainly the modern era.
I don't think it always was a scam but now it is. The costs for what people want it to be are all wrong. We teach kids that going to college leads to higher wages, better job opportunities and no McJobs. Guess what, we have 53% of recent college graduates unemployed or unederemployed. I myself, am in this group.

Quote:
The AMAZING part is this madness continues unabated, almost without question, and is undoubtedly stifling the economy as young consumers must shell out money for the loan that got them a Mcjob, instead of spending that money on almost anything else that would have proved far more useful.
Exactly, you can buy a car or two for the entire cost of college education these days.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,569,087 times
Education should be about lifelong learning.

The difference between a car and an education is that the former is a durable good that becomes worthless overtime while the latter is an economic and social investment with a very high rate of return.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,532,707 times
Quote:
Education should be about lifelong learning.

Excellent observation I think. Beautiful. When that is married to 'specialization' and I'm referring to that as what one exactly focuses on to study in school particularly college ideally it's a great approach to fashioning one's future QUALITY OF LIFE.

I don't think the system is completely broken but there are certainly some squeaky wheels that need some grease real bad. I do feel bad for the kids today who graduate with such high debt loads that in a way they are immediately behind that 8 ball paying that back instead of putting their hard earned bucks into something that will help them grow economically. Now for some students after they graduate into the 'real' world, they're simply like gerbils running in place on a treadmill goin' 'round and 'round. Question is our society doing enough to ease that transition? I only point out the recent efforts to raise the interest rates on student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or