U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,533,560 times

Advertisements

Higher education generally has risen faster than inflation and can cost a family a bundle especially if more than one child attends. It seems institutions raised tuition simply because they could knowing that everyone knows you 'need an education'. Question is has our educational institutions met their goal of 'educating' students what with the fact that a college education today doesn't necessarily guarantee a job after a student graduates. And the fact that students tend to have more debt as a result of that education puts the question to whether or not a college education is 'worth it'. Ultimately this all goes to asking what's an 'education' for and are our institutions doing a good job along those lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Question is has our educational institutions met their goal of 'educating' students what with the fact that a college education today doesn't necessarily guarantee a job after a student graduates.

A college education has never guaranteed a job...

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
has our educational institutions met their goal of 'educating' students

a college education today doesn't necessarily guarantee a job after a student graduates.

students tend to have more debt as a result of that education puts the question to whether or not a college education is 'worth it'.
In bold is the question you are asking, none of the rest of text is relevant to that specific question.

I don't know if educational institutions have "met their goal".

The other question is the next bolded text, and the answer is "it depends".

What are your values?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,721,792 times
POST Common Core---managing life

PRE Common Core----BEcoming a wage slave

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What are your values?
Education should absolutely be a part of everyone's life. And I'd like to add 'education' alongside Jefferson's script in the Declaration:

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, education and the pursuit of happiness'.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,828,482 times
It's a gift of mine that I can tell when someone isn't a good thinker. For example, the end of the OP's very first sentence "especially if more than one child attends" gave me immediate insight into how well of a thinker the OP is...and it was so apparent that I didn't even need to use my gift!

Hey OP, what else would you like to add to famous phrases? Or perhaps you can move on to inventions and add something you think can improve the phonograph.

OK, OK, I'll add a real comment. The OP's thoughts remind me of a few of the people I went to grad school with. They were upset that the program wasn't giving them appropriate enough opportunities to land a gig with the top consulting firms. When I was speaking with the programs director, who was lamenting the complaints, I was confused and asked if this was a job placement agency or an institution of education.

Edit: I think this is better:

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, guns, and the pursuit of happiness'.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM

g-fused..

oh man nah no please not guns...but rather 'e-j-i-k-a-t-i-o-n'...but I'll go for a referendum kid...let's get in ont he ballot!.... ;-)....

Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM

25,407 posts, read 14,492,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A college education has never guaranteed a job...
If you heard what high school teachers, guidance counselors and democrats have said over the last 20+ years, you may disagree with that...

Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
No teachers, guidance counselors or even Democrats I know have ever said that. No one has ever said that to my kids either.
So, yeah... there's nothing to disagree with...

Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 AM

867 posts, read 2,519,638 times
Education in this country (and this includes 'college') is largely a means of social control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or