U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,373,704 times

Advertisements

Gee, I hope they all got a trophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
LOL..just make everyone in the graduating class a valedictorian and be done with it.
Then there's no need to angst or increase the number of qualified each year.

It's pretty hard to top anyone these days because everyone is on top.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM

16,487 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
When there are 7 of them, I don't either.

Back in the stone ages when I went to school, if we had a tie in GPA, they looked at extra curricular activities and picked one. The other one was salutatorian.

IMO, if a school is, consistently having more than one Valedictorian, they need to up their game. Valedictorian is supposed to mean you're the best in your class not in the top 6%.
Back, pre-stone age (1960) when my sister graduated from high school there were three students with perfect 4 point averages, including her, in a class of 650 students. The school administration choose one boy to be the valedictorian and give the graduation speech because he was a good speaker (totally ignoring the fact that my sister had just won top place in the entire state for a very competitive speaking contest). The other boy was named salutatorian. And the third person, with the exact same grade point, got, zero, zip , nada, nothing, not even a verbal statement that she also had a solid A average all four years of high school mentioned during graduation.

Why? Because she was a girl and in 1960, in her high school, girls could not be valedictorians or salutatorians because that role was reserved for boys only.

To all of you, under 70 year olds out there, who are saying that couldn't happen. You are wrong! Well, it happened, and things like that happened a lot at that time.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-11-2013 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM

2,582 posts, read 3,142,662 times
Wow... I guess this shouldn't surprise me these days, but it did when I read it.

7 valedictorians? sheesh...

My class had 850 students. One valedictorian.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,839,007 times
I am 69 and our valedictorians in high school were more likely to be girls than boys.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 PM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My school did away with valedictorians for this reason. I graduated with straight A's and took all the AP/honors courses the school offered, but still graduated 17th in my class. Kids were so desperate to graduate at the top that they had their parents signing them out of mandatory classes like health or PE, because those weren't honors level classes (so they brought down GPAs). My parents wouldn't play those games, so I was #17.

Other students would take PE at the community college (no joke!) so that they got college credits and the weighted GPA points for it. Our #1 student ended up being someone who transferred to the school junior year. Her previous school offered freshman/sophomore AP courses that we didn't have, so she had a higher GPA.

I don't see a point to valedictorians.
That kind of stuff was going on at my kids' high school as well, so they went to an honors group.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

21,499 posts, read 26,102,510 times
The concept of valedictorian needs to go if one person is not clearly at the top of the class. I can see having two people tie. Once it gets past that, the title is worthless. I suspect college admissions committees are just going to laugh when they see an applicant was one of 28 valedictorians. It also suggests a significant degree of grade inflation.

The better approach would be to recognize every student who excels academically, perhaps by noting honors on the diploma.

The commencement speaker could be the class president or someone selected by the class to represent them.

I graduated from a public high school in 1966. There were about 450 in my class. We did not name a valedictorian.

My sons graduated from a private school with smaller class sizes. That school also does not name a valedictorian, but the top 10% of the class is acknowledged. There are also prizes for accomplishments in different areas.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM

16,487 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Back, pre-stone age (1960) when my sister graduated from high school there were three students with perfect 4 point averages, including her, in a class of 650 students. The school administration choose one boy to be the valedictorian and give the graduation speech because he was a good speaker (totally ignoring the fact that my sister had just won top place in the entire state for a very competitive speaking contest). The other boy was named salutatorian. And the third person, with the exact same grade point, got, zero, zip , nada, nothing, not even a verbal statement that she also had a solid A average all four years of high school mentioned during graduation.

Why? Because she was a girl and in 1960, in her high school, girls could not be valedictorians or salutatorians because that role was reserved for boys only.

To all of you, under 70 year olds out there, who are saying that couldn't happen. You are wrong! Well, it happened, and things like that happened a lot at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am 69 and our valedictorians in high school were more likely to be girls than boys.
I'm not sure when our hometown high school started allowing female valedictorians, it may have only been a few years after the incident that I mentioned. My sister reported that some of the female faculty members were quite upset about the situation, thought it was very unfair and tried to change the "unwritten policy".

Over the years I have had others tell me that the same type of thing happened at their school as well (years ago, certainly not in recent years).

BTW The high school guidance counselor told my sister not to even attempt going to college because she "wasn't smart enough to graduate". My sister, with a straight A average and was a Merit Scholar Finalist not smart enough to graduate from college? That was very poor advice.

After she was selected for Phi Beta Kappa (the highest academic achievement for college students) and again received straight As all four years from a very competitive University she sent the guidance counselor a very polite letter suggesting that he rethink his attitudes towards women in education.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-11-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,931,754 times
None of these "honors" mean a thing anymore. Everyone is special. Everyone gets a trophy. Everyone is wonderful.

I dread seeing what this country is going to be like in 15 - 20 years when these "special little snowflakes" are running things!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM

20,560 posts, read 22,721,792 times
GACK! On the surface this appears evenh more disgusting than gaging with a silver spoon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or