U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM

8,887 posts, read 7,386,495 times

Advertisements

Neighbor was once again ranting about the school supply list. Some things are easily understandable like only blue or black ink, number 2 pencil for example. But some specify they want only blue ink or only black ink. Some go so far as to specify a particular brand name (most expensive brand found in department stores) notebook. I've seen things on the list that wasn't on the list when I was in school like paper towels, hand sanitizer gel, and a huge amount of pens, pencils, and paper. Was more surprised when she told me the teacher collects all the supplies and keeps them for everyone in the class and that if minority students don't bring supplies, teachers say nothing. But if non-minority students don't bring supplies, they're ridiculed by the teacher for the student's parents not buying the supplies for the class (even though non-minority parents are just as likely to not be able to afford such huge amounts of supplies). When I was in school I remember the moochers who demanded (instead of ask) a pencil, pen, and or paper. When no one gave them what they demanded, they opened their bag and pulled out their own supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,038,371 times
Yes, things like boxes upon boxes of tissues.

And the first period teacher gets the pick of those supplies which is usually the ream of paper and the boxes of tissues.

Having a box of tissues for the kids in class is a given now.
I had a class last year where I had no tissues. Teachers with a closet full didn't want to share.
So I had a roll of toilet paper sitting on the desk instead. At least the janitor was willing to share

Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

15,374 posts, read 25,658,450 times
Also depends on the district that your kids are in. Before we bought our home we were in a differant school district. They wanted the kids to bring everything to school. We moved to another part of the city and that school district does not require as much stuff.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,371,496 times
The number 2 pencil is for scanning standardized test answer sheets, that's what the machine picks up.

The other supplies (tissues, paper towels, copy paper, etc. I exclude the high dollar notebooks.) are supplies that used to be provided in most school systems as a matter of course but have been deemed to be not an educational necessity. They're still needed but the decision has been made in many places that they are things the school does not have to provide for an enriching educational experience.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM

220 posts, read 275,991 times
Well, I would like to know why my 5th grader is going to need 12 folders? 12 x 20 kids.....that's ALOT of folders for one classroom. Open house is Friday, will find out then.

Barb

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

708 posts, read 995,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
and that if minority students don't bring supplies, teachers say nothing. But if non-minority students don't bring supplies, they're ridiculed by the teacher for the student's parents not buying the supplies for the class (even though non-minority parents are just as likely to not be able to afford such huge amounts of supplies).
Did you actually witness this, or did someone tell you? If you witnessed this, something needs to be said to the principal.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM

16,528 posts, read 16,025,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy4 View Post
Well, I would like to know why my 5th grader is going to need 12 folders? 12 x 20 kids.....that's ALOT of folders for one classroom. Open house is Friday, will find out then.

Barb
I suspect that the teacher has each student label and keep track of their assignments in a different folder.
Let's name the subjects, math, reading, spelling, social studies, science, language arts, guidance, computers and maybe music & phy ed. So, that is 8 to 10 right there. Add another one for daily writing, perhaps one for the special poetry unit or one for student council or science fair or one for homework and you need 12 or more folders.

BTW Have you ever seen the inside of the desk of a typical 5th grader? That is why most teachers use a different folder for each subject. Actually most teachers use color coded folders for the key areas, all math folders are red, all spelling folders are blue, all science folders are green, etc.

Also, folders sometimes rip, tear or wear out before the school year ends so you may need extra ones.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM

16,528 posts, read 16,025,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, things like boxes upon boxes of tissues.

And the first period teacher gets the pick of those supplies which is usually the ream of paper and the boxes of tissues.

Having a box of tissues for the kids in class is a given now.
I had a class last year where I had no tissues. Teachers with a closet full didn't want to share.
So I had a roll of toilet paper sitting on the desk instead. At least the janitor was willing to share
If this is like the schools that I know it is because the class ran out of tissues about March and the teacher bought that "closet full" of tissues out of her own money.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM

5,416 posts, read 9,587,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
if minority students don't bring supplies, teachers say nothing. But if non-minority students don't bring supplies, they're ridiculed by the teacher for the student's parents not buying the supplies for the class (even though non-minority parents are just as likely to not be able to afford such huge amounts of supplies).
Bull.

Your agenda is showing.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,038,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If this is like the schools that I know it is because the class ran out of tissues about March and the teacher bought that "closet full" of tissues out of her own money.
Not in this case. She teased us all that she got all the tissues last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or