U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM

552 posts, read 931,987 times

Advertisements

What the U.S. really needs is to foster more career-oriented classes and forget all this standard testing nonsense. Technical schools have already set the standard but to actually partner with companies that can give internships for seniors and usher them into the workforce already with experience would ease the overpopulation of many generic degrees and and give a better quality of life for people who do have reading and comprehending issues. I graduated at the top of my senior class but I generally have to re-read things numerous, even very simple sentences because I have comprehension issues and honestly I get very distracted easily also. I really wish I had did a trade because like most Americans I love hands on work and experience and not text book education. That's how this country has always been. We are very hard physical workers in general and we like to learn through real-world experiences. Please dont push the Europe mode on us. We are not Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM

1,243 posts, read 890,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
What you're saying about the being called up in front of the class works IF the students know that they're in an environment where they feel safe and won't be embarrassed for getting a wrong answer. Productive struggle is part of the learning process. Being embarrassed isn't and it's how you turn students off from learning.
Absolutely correct.

But, not being prepared to answer those questions is - in and of itself - a form of embarrassment. The teacher doesn't have to say or do anything - no ridiculing, no chastisement, no disparaging looks - to make the student feel embarrassed. And while this might be uncomfortable for the student, it's also a great, passive form of negative reinforcement. If the student does not want to experience this situation again, they might come to class better prepared.

I know this for a fact that it does work - maybe not for everyone - but it did on me. I was not prepared once in a classroom taught by the Socratic method. I did not do the required reading for class the night before and was unprepared for the questions my teacher asked me.

I had to say I didn't know.

He stared at me for probably no more that 3 seconds (but felt like an hour) and then went on to ask another student.

I was humiliated. But I brought it about all on my own. Needless to say, I never missed another question in that class. That negative reinforcement was enough.

As for us not being European (for the post above), as a teacher, I couldn't care less where the method comes from - as long as it works. I'm not so proud that I couldn't admit other non-Americans are doing it better than us.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM

10,392 posts, read 7,472,821 times
I had a Health/PE teacher named Miss Brickhouse (true story) in 9th grade. Brand new, right out of college and of a darker skin color than most parents preferred in an authority figure. (Gloucester Va, 70's) She was tough as nails and demanded strict adherence to the standards she clearly set forth for our work. We ignored her and about 75% of us got F's the first grading period. There was an uproar! Our parents wanted her fired!! But the principal stood behind her and the next time around we worked our tailfeathers off and started excelling. Great life lesson! I'll never forget her!

John Quincy Adams was ambassador to France at the age of 14. We don't expect enough from our kids. Disservice to them, I say.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM

639 posts, read 902,616 times
Well if the Eastern European school system is a lot better than the US, then why is the US still lightyears ahead of Eastern Europe in everything else?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

818 posts, read 1,480,748 times
Can't do that in America, as it'd be racist.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Absolutely correct.

But, not being prepared to answer those questions is - in and of itself - a form of embarrassment. The teacher doesn't have to say or do anything - no ridiculing, no chastisement, no disparaging looks - to make the student feel embarrassed. And while this might be uncomfortable for the student, it's also a great, passive form of negative reinforcement. If the student does not want to experience this situation again, they might come to class better prepared.

I know this for a fact that it does work - maybe not for everyone - but it did on me. I was not prepared once in a classroom taught by the Socratic method. I did not do the required reading for class the night before and was unprepared for the questions my teacher asked me.

I had to say I didn't know.

He stared at me for probably no more that 3 seconds (but felt like an hour) and then went on to ask another student.

I was humiliated. But I brought it about all on my own. Needless to say, I never missed another question in that class. That negative reinforcement was enough.

As for us not being European (for the post above), as a teacher, I couldn't care less where the method comes from - as long as it works. I'm not so proud that I couldn't admit other non-Americans are doing it better than us.
Yeah I agree with you on that. The socratic method is great and I've come to find that it's cross disciplinary. In addition to that, I think it needs to be emphasized that classroom discussions should lead to students discussing misconceptions and wrong answer(if there are any) instead of the teacher giving the right answer.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
What you're saying about the being called up in front of the class works IF the students know that they're in an environment where they feel safe and won't be embarrassed for getting a wrong answer. Productive struggle is part of the learning process. Being embarrassed isn't and it's how you turn students off from learning.

I had a World History teacher in high school and every Friday she handed chalk to 6 students and sent them all to the blackboard. Then she started asking questions based on the reading. They could not sit down and hand the chalk to someone else until they got 3 in a row correct. As soon as they got one wrong they had to start all over again. You better believe we did the reading that week because nobody wanted to be laughed at as the person who stood at the blackboard the entire period. Her job was to teach World History not stroke some lazy kid's self-esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or