U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM

280 posts, read 501,996 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with which states are great, and which are not. But I often hear that New Jersey and Massachusetts are one of the best, and Florida and California do not fare so well.

Please include some more information about each top state, and what makes the education there unique. We are still at the elementary level, so I am only interested in elementary/middle/high-school level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
I feel that good schools are really important, but besides avoiding the states with really bad reputations, I think supporting your child, doing enrichment at home and being involved in your kids school, is more important then any school ranking. But if you really need numbers, here's a link: States with the Best and Worst School Systems - 24/7 Wall St.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM

280 posts, read 501,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I feel that good schools are really important, but besides avoiding the states with really bad reputations, I think supporting your child, doing enrichment at home and being involved in your kids school, is more important then any school ranking. But if you really need numbers, here's a link: States with the Best and Worst School Systems - 24/7 Wall St.
Thank you. Yes indeed numbers don't mean much without parental involvement! Ideally I am looking for "word of mouth" advice from parents who are involved and supportive, but at the same time, have an opinion on which states are much better than others.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Thank you. Yes indeed numbers don't mean much without parental involvement! Ideally I am looking for "word of mouth" advice from parents who are involved and supportive, but at the same time, have an opinion on which states are much better than others.
But how many parents have had kids in schools in more then even two states? I think the three school districts that my kids attended in Pennsylvania were all very good, but I would not venture to say that Pennsylvania, as a state, is better then any of it's neighboring states. I can't even compare our schools to the ones I attended in Delaware because that was so many years ago.

I will say this, all of my kids felt that they were well prepared for college compared to some of their other college friends from different areas.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM

373 posts, read 672,982 times
Our kids attended public school in 4 states during their schooling - Ohio, New York, Minnesota, and California. I think your question is one everyone would love to know, but at the same time I don't believe you can label a state as the best vs. an actual school district within the state.

If I had to rank the 4 states we lived in based on the individual school districts our kids attended:
1. New York
2. Minnesota
3. Ohio
4. California

Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 PM

13,112 posts, read 18,707,927 times
Useless question.
Children do not attend "state" schools. They attend local schools.
New Jersey has some fabulous schools. It also has Camden.
California has Palo Alto and Compton.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM

7,893 posts, read 12,140,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Useless question.
Children do not attend "state" schools. They attend local schools.
New Jersey has some fabulous schools. It also has Camden.
California has Palo Alto and Compton.
I agree. Most states are pretty big places. Schools and their populations can vary quite a bit.

Out of curiosity though, I had to look at the list linked above. Florida is ranked as the 6th best state. I'm not giving this survey much weight, but that was surprising.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree. Most states are pretty big places. Schools and their populations can vary quite a bit.

Out of curiosity though, I had to look at the list linked above. Florida is ranked as the 6th best state. I'm not giving this survey much weight, but that was surprising.

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard at the thought that Florida schools are among the best in the country...

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
I am not familiar with which states are great, and which are not. But I often hear that New Jersey and Massachusetts are one of the best, and Florida and California do not fare so well.

Please include some more information about each top state, and what makes the education there unique. We are still at the elementary level, so I am only interested in elementary/middle/high-school level.
I am going to assume you are asking for this information for reasons other than curiosity - meaning, the responses may affect where you might move.

With that, realize school performance varies a lot more between schools located a few BLOCKS from each other than it does between states. In other words, if you want better schools than the ones you are attending now, you might only need to move a mile away instead of a state away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or