U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 AM

7,893 posts, read 12,143,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
And shes stupid for doing it too. Why would i give a teacher money for supplies if i know that eventually they will cave in and buy their own? Guess what? I wouldn't. I refused to buy supplies last year and the year before since they gave all my money do the dept head and since she didnt like me, i got $0. Dont cave in teachers, in fact put your foot down. We are not these childrens parents. Its our job to educate them, not provide for them. If they need that, that is what social services, the united way and the salvation army are for because as long as we keep spending our hard earned money from the joke of a salary we get, people will expect for us to provide, provide, provide. When will it ever stop? As long as we keep providing, the answer is... never.
I agree. I can see loaning a pencil or giving a child a glue stick once in a while when one doesn't have it. No biggie. I do that, but I ask the child to bring in more. Things like copy paper, construction paper, dry erase markers, printer ink and toner is provided by the school. I wouldn't pay for those out of my pocket. I'll admit, I've never needed to pay for anything, but I still agree with you...Why should a district provide supplies if their workforce is going to pick up the tab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
And as more gets cut from education budgets are teachers going to step up and buy even more supplies with their own money ?

They may not even realize that they are enablers here.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And as more gets cut from education budgets are teachers going to step up and buy even more supplies with their own money ?

Precisely. If increased funding is needed, the only way to get it is to make the students do without, and then hopefully parents will pressure the educators to step up funding. Bridging this gap just masks the problem and solves nothing.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
This was news 30 years ago. Now, not so much.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 890,678 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Precisely. If increased funding is needed, the only way to get it is to make the students do without, and then hopefully parents will pressure the educators to step up funding. Bridging this gap just masks the problem and solves nothing.
Yeah, well when your state teacher evaluation (i.e. job) is staked to standardized tests(for better or worse), and those standardized tests are related to student performance, and student performance is tied to how well they come to class &/or what materials we have in class for them to use, then this will continue.

In an ideal world, this might be a great idea, but then who really suffers? You really think those same parents that aren't bringing in anything now will wise up and suddenly become more generous? You think teachers that are borderline in their evaluations are going to risk their scores for the sake of proving a point? More importantly, do you think those teachers that truly care for their students are going to be so cold-hearted to allow these students that have no control whatsoever over their fiscal lives to do without?

Not likely.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Yeah, well when your state teacher evaluation (i.e. job) is staked to standardized tests(for better or worse), and those standardized tests are related to student performance, and student performance is tied to how well they come to class &/or what materials we have in class for them to use, then this will continue.

In an ideal world, this might be a great idea, but then who really suffers? You really think those same parents that aren't bringing in anything now will wise up and suddenly become more generous? You think teachers that are borderline in their evaluations are going to risk their scores for the sake of proving a point? More importantly, do you think those teachers that truly care for their students are going to be so cold-hearted to allow these students that have no control whatsoever over their fiscal lives to do without?

Not likely.
School admins and parents are cold hearted ? They come before you in that line of who supplies a child for school.

If you truly care then spend your money but don't turn around and complain to the press about it.
This was something you took on. And if it's that much of a financial burden then it's the parents and school administration that should be getting the complaints, not some MSM interview piece to advocate higher salaries.

Teachers only have a student for 10 months. Parents have them for 18 years.

I don't really think having a box of tissues you purchased vs a roll of toilet paper from the school will make that much of difference on student scores in standardized testing.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM

1,243 posts, read 890,678 times
Quote:
School admins and parents are cold hearted ? They come before you in that line of who supplies a child for school.

And since I can't control what they do, I will focus on what I can control - me. And yes, many are cold-hearted. I'd've thought you already knew this.

If you truly care then spend your money but don't turn around and complain to the press about it.

Have you seen my complain to the press? I've come in here - a meagre little message forum - and stated what I do. Hell, I've never even really overtly stated it bothered me.

This was something you took on.

And I've admitted that over and over again andnever have I voiced a complaint. But stating the obvious is nowhere near the same as bitching about it.

And if it's that much of a financial burden then it's the parents and school administration that should be getting the complaints, not some MSM interview piece to advocate higher salaries.

Teachers only have a student for 10 months. Parents have them for 18 years.

I don't really think having a box of tissues you purchased vs a roll of toilet paper from the school will make that much of difference on student scores in standardized testing.

Not at all, but if you taught science without science equipment and you have a lab section on said standardized exam, maybe you'd understand what I'm talking about. Big darn difference between crayons and a microscope, don't you think?
And go back up and look at all the posts I've made concerning how much I've spent, with very little complaint. I do it out of the goodness of my heart and with the desire to not see my kids struggle without. I really don't care whether you do it or not.

Last edited by Starman71; 08-19-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hannah Martin is in her second year as a pre-kindergarten teacher at Salem Elementary School in Apex, N.C. The 23-year-old makes about $34,000 a year and in her spare time takes as many babysitting jobs as she can get.

Martin, who rents a room in a house she shares with four other women, said the work outside her classroom is necessary if her students are to have the school supplies they need.

Teachers battle budget crunch with their own money

I know teachers who have been doing this for 30 plus years and they never get reimbursed by anyone.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,964,820 times
Most schools I know of seem more interested in pumping cash into sport rather than education, maybe that should be reversed ?m

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,472,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
wake county schools are and have been for a years in trouble financially. i teach in south carolina and this year we received $275.00 towards school supplies (an increase from 12-13) and received a much larger allotment of copy paper this year as well. best friend from high school's parents live in cary nc which is right next door and they both say wake county schools are in disarray so i'm not surprised this story comes out of that district.

You teach? I hope you don't teach English. Are you in your twenties, or early thirties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or